No Tombs to Be Found In This Debut Tomb Raider Trailer

#1 Posted by DeF (4848 posts) -

looks awesome! finally a pretty Lara :)

#2 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing more.  

That is all.

#3 Posted by ONE_EYE_JACKED (41 posts) -

Got some high hopes for this game :)

#4 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

God damn, Lara looks genuinely gorgeous in this one. 

I really hope the tonal shift from an action adventure game to a survival horror works well.

#5 Posted by CrimsonNoir (401 posts) -

damn, love this new direction. this maybe the first tomb raider game i buy.

#6 Edited by Spacetrucking (943 posts) -
And I knew what I must become: 
A survivor is cloned! 
Still. It looks more interesting than all the other Tomb Raider games.
#7 Posted by admanb (225 posts) -

Tombcharted?

I'll be watching this one.

#8 Posted by ShockD (2400 posts) -

Well, she's better than Mrs. Jolie...

#9 Posted by Funky_Pasta_Tommy (100 posts) -

What happened to her bangin tits?
xD

#10 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Is this supposed to be a prequel? It looks super gritty. I like it. The first Tomb Raider since the first game I might want to actually buy.

#11 Posted by iGameNaked (11 posts) -

Looks better than the last one to me.

#12 Posted by Castiel (2560 posts) -

So it's basically become Uncharted now.

#13 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Uncharted copied Tomb Raider, not the other way around. It just did it way better. Lara deserves an awesome game.

#14 Posted by thedevilbat (49 posts) -

Hurry, jump to the other half of the sinking ship!!1  

The trailer did a good job, though.  I'm more interested in this than any previous tomb raider game.

#15 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (268 posts) -

Look so much better than any of the Uncharted games.

#16 Posted by DeF (4848 posts) -
@CrimsonNoir said:
damn, love this new direction. this maybe the first tomb raider game i buy.
same here. I never cared for the tomb raider games but this has me genuinely excited. not just because their Lara design actually does her reputation justice ;)
#17 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
Uncharted copied Tomb Raider, not the other way around. It just did it way better. Lara deserves an awesome game.
Kids these days, huh?
#18 Posted by AlexW00d (6230 posts) -

She looks like a Final Fantasy characters (facially) That is weird to me.

#19 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

I'm genuinely interested in this.

#20 Posted by Ezekeilpurger (321 posts) -

This pre-rendered cut-scene sure does look good..

#21 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

What.

People are saying this is copying Uncharted.

What

#22 Posted by Spacetrucking (943 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:
@phrosnite said:
Kids these days, huh?
No, they are both different takes on the same source: Indiana Jones, which in turn was inspired by Allan Quatermain - who was partially based on Frederick Selous.

Kids these days, huh? :p
#23 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (475 posts) -

That trailer was super-cinematic, I hope the game holds onto that style.

#24 Posted by Benny (1950 posts) -

I wonder if you'll be able to shoot tigers and shimmy sideways till there is room. 

Also this is a reboot, not a prequel.

#25 Posted by Zidd (1841 posts) -

That was a hell of a trailer. Its going to be a long wait until fall 2012.

#26 Posted by Kato (156 posts) -

In the next gen (Nextbox and PS4), UE3/UE4 will be able to do visuals like this trailer in realtime. I guarantee it.

#27 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (624 posts) -

Read a rather long preview on this title in a german gaming magazine called "Gamestar", apparently they'd gotten a hands-on and seemed mighty impressed with both gameplay and technology. It's not so much a prequel, as a reboot. Lara being a young, snotty graduate in for a world of pain, rather than dishing it out.

Though important to note that it's a very, very different beast from the old Tomb Raider games we know. In fact, if anything, this game is a horror-survival game with gunplay being a last, desperate resort. Most of the time, you'll want to run, or hide.

They also made a point of how gorgeous the game looks, to the point of being disturbing. Lara will literally break ribs, bleed from her cuts; or if you die, well.. It's Mortal Kombat level of grit. Guts and glory.

Game's actually looking good. "Tomb Raider" looks good, damn; never thought I'd say that again.

Edit: Also, anyone else getting the feeling they're marketing this game to the BDSM fan-base? Young, pretty girl, barely clad, getting hurt and abused in every which way. It does seem a bit sadistic. Especially when you consider the posh, tenor voice crying out every few seconds in pain.

#28 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

Trailer = great. The actual game? Here's hoping!

#29 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@Killjoi: gameplay...
#30 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Super stoked for this.
#31 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (963 posts) -

Digging the aesthetics, hopefully we get to see some gameplay footage soon.

#32 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

@phrosnite said:

Yeah dude. A franchise with such great beginnings like Tomb Raider deserves a great reboot. Also, I think this trailer is fucking sick. I'm sold! Buying it day one!

#33 Posted by Parkingtigers (174 posts) -

For those of you that have never played a Tomb Raider game, pick up a copy of Tomb Raider Anniversary while you wait.  That game took everything that was great about the first game, and coated it in next-gen graphics and proper controls.  There were a lot of tepid Tomb Raider games put out, but the first (and the remake) was one of the greatest games ever made.

#34 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

@Ezekeilpurger said:

This pre-rendered cut-scene sure does look good..

Yup. Also for this new reboot it looks like they are just doing a complete 180 with the character just so they can say it's completely different. The previous games were very clean and Lara was confident and experienced. The game looks super dirty and Lara is innocent and still learning. I'll pass unless the gameplay is revolutionary and not an Uncharted clone with a darker tone.

#35 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

@Killjoi said:

@PhatSeeJay said:
@phrosnite said:
Kids these days, huh?
No, they are both different takes on the same source: Indiana Jones, which in turn was inspired by Allan Quatermain - who was partially based on Frederick Selous. Kids these days, huh? :p

Exactly.

#36 Posted by SSully (4148 posts) -

Oh Square, why must you hype me up with your CGI. It only leads to disappointment when I see the actual game.

#37 Edited by StriderNo9 (1085 posts) -

It looks awesome. Lara is effing hot and the atmosphere seems perfect.

#38 Posted by MormonWarrior (2561 posts) -

I...she...it...this...gaaah, this new Lara Croft is the best looking video game girl I've ever seen.

Also, this game looks like it might be good. It's on my radar. If they more or less copy Uncharted, I'd be fine with that since Uncharted borrowed a lot from Tomb Raider in the first place. I hear it's kind of open world too or something.

#39 Posted by buckybit (1455 posts) -

... which all could be tracked back to Homer and/or the Bible/Torah etc etc ...but that's not the point. The point is, if Crystal Dynamics is able to copy what Naughty Dog did, WE win?!

Nothing better than two legit franchises competing for the crown? I hope new Lara Craft isn't just an Uncharted copycat trailer, but also the actual game(play) is on par.

That would be great.

#40 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -
@Ventilaator said:
What.

People are saying this is copying Uncharted.

What
This. 

The accusation of Croft copying Drake is absurd enough. But to bring that up when Croft goes open-world/survival-horror (something not any game in either series has done) is extra ridiculous.
#41 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

Hold then phone. An anatomically correct Lara Croft in a game where she's not an acrobatic ninja? THAT'S NEXT GEN ALL UP IN THIS BITCH!

#42 Posted by m0rdr3d (474 posts) -

Looks promising.  Get with Square Enix and they'll whip you up some amazing CG it seems.  But what happened to Lara's huge cans?

#43 Posted by Jackel2072 (2248 posts) -

i have high hopes for this one.

#44 Posted by Damodar (1331 posts) -

They absolutely nailed the face. That is exactly what a 21 year old version of the character from the last 5 years of Tomb Raider games would look like.

#45 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

@RE_Player92 said:

@Killjoi said:

@PhatSeeJay said:
@phrosnite said:
Kids these days, huh?
No, they are both different takes on the same source: Indiana Jones, which in turn was inspired by Allan Quatermain - who was partially based on Frederick Selous. Kids these days, huh? :p

Exactly.

Wait a minute. You agree with this, yet you call Uncharted clone on this game in your previous post? What exactly are you saying "exactly" to?

There's no difference in what this game is from the previous one, aside from looks and the new story, so what exactly makes this game an Uncharted clone? It's a reboot, and turns more open world, so therefor its' pedigree of games -that goes back to the nineties - would be nullified?

#46 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

May I just point out...Square Enix...

On that note alone, this game has started out with a limp. Granted, I like the ideas behind it, but remember when people thought it would be a good idea to make a game developed by a company that wasn't behind the original creations that people liked? We got Metroid: Other M!  I'm hoping I'm wrong, but anything with Square's name attached to it of late has been really poor...

#47 Posted by Rasgueado (712 posts) -

Yeah... I'm with a lot of others on this one. I'll start to care when I actually see something that begins to resemble gameplay.

#48 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

Trailer looks great but they need an actual game to go with it.

#49 Posted by JeanLuc (3577 posts) -

I was really excited until it said Fall 2012. God damn it.

#50 Edited by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

@PhatSeeJay said:

@RE_Player92 said:

@Killjoi said:

@PhatSeeJay said:
@phrosnite said:
Kids these days, huh?

Exactly.

Wait a minute. You agree with this, yet you call Uncharted clone on this game in your previous post? What exactly are you saying "exactly" to?

There's no difference in what this game is from the previous one, aside from looks and the new story, so what exactly makes this game an Uncharted clone? It's a reboot, and turns more open world, so therefor its' pedigree of games -that goes back to the nineties - would be nullified?

When I say clone I literally mean that if this new game is just a third person shooter with a cover based mechanic and an Indiana Jones type story with a darker vibe than I'm out. Tomb Raider was never about cover it was about acrobatics and fighting raptors. Both Uncharted and Tomb Raider copied from Indiana Jones and Allan Quatermain in that they have that same adventurer looking for mystical treasure vibe. In that sense they are both copies but in terms of gameplay Uncharted and the older Tomb Raiders are different. Uncharted is currently at the top of this Indiana Jones, adventurer type genre so they are aiming for people who like that franchise and type of game.

Edit: Also I read in Playstation Magazine that the game, at least at the beginning has a heavier emphasis on puzzle solving so if that is the case it might not be an Uncharted clone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.