No Tombs to Be Found In This Debut Tomb Raider Trailer

#51 Posted by tweetspot (167 posts) -

why do they have to keep beating the crap out of the dead horse that is tomb raider?  just put a different freakin' name on it, damn.

#52 Posted by avantegardener (1152 posts) -
@Killjoi
@PhatSeeJay said:
@phrosnite said:
Uncharted copied Tomb Raider, not the other way around. It just did it way better. Lara deserves an awesome game.
Kids these days, huh?
No, they are both different takes on the same source: Indiana Jones, which in turn was inspired by Allan Quatermain - who was partially based on Frederick Selous.

Kids these days, huh? :p
Lol, nicely done sir.
#53 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@avantegardener said:
@Killjoi
@PhatSeeJay said:
@phrosnite said:
Uncharted copied Tomb Raider, not the other way around. It just did it way better. Lara deserves an awesome game.
Kids these days, huh?
No, they are both different takes on the same source: Indiana Jones, which in turn was inspired by Allan Quatermain - who was partially based on Frederick Selous.

Kids these days, huh? :p
Lol, nicely done sir.
You didn't get anything. Shut up and stop quoting. Damn kids.
#54 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

@RE_Player92: Though with this game being more open world, and Lara's primary weapon looking to be no more than a bow and arrow, I really can't see how it would be possible to end up with a game that has the same gameplay as Uncharted.

I love Uncharted 2, was in fact the game I bought my PS3 for. Just get puzzled when people seem determined to call Uncharted clone when the two franchises, as you say, are completely different. They seem to want to capture a mood set where she has to make due with what she finds on the island, and have to fight more obscure enemies. But yes. If suddenly mercs starts pouring in and it becomes a cover based shooter, then I'm not interested either. So you are very much correct there.

#55 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

A Tomb Raider game that I'm not instantly off-put by?! 
I'd say that's a step in the right direction.

#56 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@PhatSeeJay:

I have no idea why some people are thinking that it'll be an Uncharted clone, the vast majority of info out there points to the game being widely different (more about survival, exploration and puzzle solving).

#57 Edited by Dynamix (126 posts) -

So are we to asume that the life-altering events which take place in this game will determine Lara to get breast implants?

#58 Posted by Toxin066 (3326 posts) -

I was seriously impressed by this. It was a lot less hokey than I was expecting.

#59 Posted by Contra (247 posts) -

Interesting set up.

Now show there is a good game hiding inside there.

#60 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

Huh. Didn't think I'd be interested in this game, but Lara Croft didn't look like her boobs were bigger than her head. And the trailer had an interesting tone. Still waiting to see actual gameplay to judge, but I'm actually curious about this now.

#61 Posted by MisfitToy (139 posts) -

One of the best cutscenes I've ever seen. Nice job. Here's to hoping there is some solid gameplay to accompany where they want to take the character.

#62 Posted by koolaid39 (255 posts) -

This looks potentially very cool. I like how it seems like it might have a bit of a survival gametype blended in as well.

#63 Posted by AuthenticM (3803 posts) -

Fall 2012... fuck.

#64 Posted by rndmtask (143 posts) -

Looks cool, and I like the new Lara.

#65 Posted by Nurve (125 posts) -

Can't wait to see gameplay.

#66 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2165 posts) -

That faux english accent was driving me insane. It's like Keira Knightley / Domino Harvey style slowed down a little :/

#67 Posted by Mr402 (144 posts) -

Lara Croft Snake Eater?  I'll pass unless the gameplay is compelling.   
#68 Posted by csl316 (9443 posts) -

So hyped for this game, but the voice actress doesn't exactly impress.

#69 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

Looks pretty cool. Hope it's good.

#70 Posted by shinluis (432 posts) -

I like the voice acting. CG was great.

#71 Edited by Egge (448 posts) -

Despite Crystal D's valiant efforts during recent years, Tomb Raider became irrelevant a long time ago (to make matters worse, TR: Underworld was perhaps one of the most tedious and outdated games I've played so far during the current console generation).

This reboot might change things, depending on how good the gameplay turns out to be. Also, I'm not entirely sure these particular developers have proven that they can handle narratives well enough to pull off something as serious this (even the comparatively story-heavy Legacy of Kain games have very little do with the gritty realism they're apparently aiming for here).

#72 Posted by Veektarius (5019 posts) -

Great video.  I continue to resent her breast reduction.

#73 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

Gorgeous CG right there, wow.

#74 Edited by Alphazero (1548 posts) -

Kept waiting for the Big Daddy to show up.

Well rendered! Like the character design.

#75 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Lara Croft: Lost In Blue

Looks interesting, at least, and I'm digging her new look.

#76 Posted by psoplayer (240 posts) -

@Ezekeilpurger said:

This pre-rendered cut-scene sure does look good..

But, you have my attention.

#77 Edited by TorMasturba (1089 posts) -

I'm a Brit and I found that voice acting was nothing close to a realistic current British accent.

#78 Posted by Chop (1998 posts) -
@TorMasturba:  Because everybody always sounds the same, right?
#79 Posted by InFamous91 (931 posts) -

Uncharted & Far Cry...hmmm?

#80 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

This is the first Tomb Raider I've been interested in ever.

#81 Posted by hoossy (939 posts) -

I feel like the franchise has grown up just like me.  Big boobed Laura was great for the 13 year old version of hoossy, and now that I want something with a little more depth.... here we go.   

Hope they can sell it in the age of Uncharted!

#82 Posted by N0_va (29 posts) -

....sauce ?

#83 Posted by dr_mantas (2054 posts) -

Pretty CGI girl, cleavage. You can't fool me, Crystal D, this is a Tomb Raider game.

Also, that red and black title - what do you think you are, Just Cause 2?

Of course, very much looking forward to this. Legend/Anniversary were both pretty decent.

#84 Posted by Musou (384 posts) -

Looks pretty damn interesting

#85 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (140 posts) -

So cautiously amped for this game!

#86 Posted by Sanj (2537 posts) -

That looked pretty cool.

#87 Posted by darkjester74 (1597 posts) -

Sooo awesome, cant wait!

#88 Posted by Sogeman (878 posts) -
@funky_pasta_tommy said:
What happened to her bangin tits? xD
They are now better.
#89 Posted by Spiritof (2093 posts) -

@TorMasturba said:

I'm a Brit and I found that voice acting was nothing close to a realistic current British accent.

Patrick Stewart charges too much.

#90 Posted by Areian (26 posts) -

I like the visual style. Now, let's see some gameplay!

#91 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

Oh, Tomb Raider. How I still don't care about you. Let me count the ways.

#92 Posted by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

I hope this game will turn out to be good. That would be nice. Trailer sure makes an impression.

#93 Posted by DeadMonkeys (827 posts) -

The entire island is inhabited by endangered species which hunt Croft throughout the game, leading her to develop an intense hatred for said species. Cue Tomb Raider: Legend.

#94 Edited by FilipHolm (669 posts) -

Looks great! I'm not the biggest fan of Tomb Raider but the animations in this trailer looks amazing.
 And By god, she has an iPhone!

#95 Posted by Calculating_Infinity (63 posts) -

Hoping they steal the wet clothes tech from naughty dog.

#96 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I expected her to be slightly prettier for her face, but whatever.

#97 Posted by the_Hollow (70 posts) -

Lovely  CG, Lara's model looks hot ; p

#98 Posted by OldManLollipop (306 posts) -

Lara Croft's Adventures in the Uncanny Valley.

#99 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

Okay, all I could think during the majority of this was: Uncharted clone. I'll admit, though, the conceit is pretty cool. 

The end sold me. If it's anything like they seem to be suggesting, ala survive on an island, I'm all for it. 

Have a niggling feeling that isn't the case.

#100 Posted by Kotetsu (36 posts) -

I can honestly say that i'am finally excited about a Tomb Raider game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.