No Tombs to Be Found In This Debut Tomb Raider Trailer

#101 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
Okay, all I could think during the majority of this was: Uncharted clone. I'll admit, though, the conceit is pretty cool.  The end sold me. If it's anything like they seem to be suggesting, ala survive on an island, I'm all for it.  Have a niggling feeling that isn't the case.
It's true but really...Tomb Raider was like Uncharted before Uncharted existed.
#102 Edited by HubrisRanger (488 posts) -
@mnzy said:

@GetEveryone said:

Okay, all I could think during the majority of this was: Uncharted clone. I'll admit, though, the conceit is pretty cool.  The end sold me. If it's anything like they seem to be suggesting, ala survive on an island, I'm all for it.  Have a niggling feeling that isn't the case.
Yeah, saying that Uncharted is just ripping off Tomb Raider is like saying Warhammer rips off Warcraft.
#103 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

I've never liked the Tomb Raider games before, but I'm really excited about this reboot.

But I have to say, calling this game Tomb Raider just seems completely unnecessary. I mean, I know they're doing it because it's such a well known brand, but it just seems so stupid. After all, isn't the whole reason for this reboot that no one likes Tomb Raider anymore?

#104 Posted by Karlif (46 posts) -

This game needs next-gen boobs physics.

#105 Posted by HubrisRanger (488 posts) -

God damn, watched this a few times and gotta say, if the actual game matches the atmosphere of this trailer, Crystal D could have something truly special.

#106 Posted by Christoffer (1799 posts) -

This was pretty exiting, once I turned of the audio. Stupid bullshit nonsense trailer writing.

#107 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -
@crimsonavenger said:
Look so much better than any of the Uncharted games.
Tell, did you deduce all of that from a 3 minute pre-rendered CG cinematic?
#108 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@HubrisRanger said:
@mnzy said:

@GetEveryone said:

Yeah, saying that Uncharted is just ripping off Tomb Raider is like saying Warhammer rips off Warcraft.
But Uncharted was never particularly like Tomb Raider, or vice versa, this seemed to be. 

At the start at least. As I said, shit hooked me by the end.
#109 Edited by kollay (1928 posts) -

CG looks great, at least.

EDIT: And she still has them hoohoos.

#110 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@Do_The_Manta_Ray said:
Young, pretty girl, barely clad, getting hurt and abused in every which way. It does seem a bit sadistic.
It's more a tradition of the genre, even the very first games in that genre, back when it was 2D, where like that, see Prince of Persia or Another World. You get chopped in half by traps, pierced by stakes, etc. The standard way to die in Another World is by a laser shoot that blows the flesh of your bones.
#111 Posted by tourgen (4475 posts) -

wow that was dumb

#112 Posted by DiscoDuck8k (499 posts) -

Her new look is awesome, as is this trailer. I can't wait to see some gameplay.

#113 Posted by Hairydutchman (1039 posts) -

New Lara is freaking hot.

#114 Edited by Mumrik (1077 posts) -

Not a fan of the voice at all... OR the bullshit monologue.

Also, am I the only one who finds it hilarious to watch her tits get smaller and smaller with each game? They're working so hard to make the original fans forget that they bought TR1 to look at the largest triangular tits out there...

#115 Posted by kelbear (496 posts) -

I like the new look and theme. 

#116 Posted by Chibi_Kaji (170 posts) -

It feels odd to be excited about a Tomb Raider game for once. I just hope that her voice sounds better when the game is released.

#117 Posted by Delta_Ass (3276 posts) -

"And I knew what I needed to become."

...Batman?

#118 Posted by Agent47 (1895 posts) -
@Killjoi: Why the hell are people even comparing Tomb Raider to Uncharted?Jaja TR came out first and the new one isn't nowhere near what Uncharted is.Next thing you are going to tell me is it reminds you of Borderlands?Seriously though this is a more realistic story with a very gritty undertone and setting.And the protagonist is a unexperienced adventurer.
Her personality is nothing like Drakes.Especially seeing how Drake was always like an Indiana Jones clone, his smirky personality, his wise cracks, his hunger for exploration and riches, and his adventures and the settings were all very hollywoodish.
#119 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

pretty snazzy. 

#120 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

I... am done with British accents, especially those that seem to stumble in an out.

Will anyone agree with me that going between her in the video and the picture of Nova just below, oddly similar?

#121 Posted by RVonE (4633 posts) -

Is the voice actress faking the accent?

Other than that, this is an exceptionally well-produced trailer. Love the music as well.

#122 Posted by Tahnit (139 posts) -

Wow she looks beat up as shit. Never seen that kind of grittiness in a game before.

#123 Posted by Metalman781 (88 posts) -

i wanna see some gameplay before I judge

#124 Posted by kerse (2112 posts) -

Wow I haven't cared about Tomb Raider since number 2, this is looking really good.

#125 Posted by Pop (2626 posts) -

I'm really digging it except for the accent sounds a little forced to me.

#126 Posted by rustedfaith (4 posts) -

Stop with the 'this is an Uncharted clone, so I got beef' talk, I'd love it to be an uncharted clone. We get bombarded by all the COD clones, and some of them have gone on to do a much better jobs. I want to see more cool adventure games and this going on my 'ones to watch' list along side Uncharted 3. 

Great trailer, but I'm not going to duped by a great trailer...again. 

#127 Posted by Gatz (11 posts) -

Looks good! Curious to see how this turns out.

#128 Posted by Solh0und (1765 posts) -
@Metalman781 said:

i wanna see some gameplay before I judge

Ditto. E3 perhaps?
#129 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

This trailer looks awesome!

#130 Posted by kamiboy (26 posts) -
Nice animated CG movie, but what does this this have to do with video games?
#131 Posted by Destroyeron (356 posts) -

Well it certainly can't be any worse than the previous games.

#132 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

I liked that trailer, but I just can't put aside the fact it's still Tomb Raider.

Prove me wrong Lara, I dare you.

#133 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -
@Destroyeron said:
Well it certainly can't be any worse than the previous games.
The Crystal Dynamics games have actually been pretty solid. With this game they're giving the game a new dynamic, introducing survival game play and an open world. Hopefully the changes pay off and the game works out. Looks like it has a ton of potential. 
#134 Posted by theodacourt (530 posts) -

Who's Tom Braider?

#135 Posted by ABritishNerd (318 posts) -

One word... wow.

#136 Posted by rawr (20 posts) -

For people who like Uncharted (including me) this looks great. We can't have a new Uncharted game every year so why not some Tomb Raider? It is like saying RPG fans can only play ONE series.

BTW the downloadable Lara Croft game was really fun co-op so whatever people.

#137 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

I was hoping for some gameplay footage in the trailer, but I guess the game is still too much in the future to show that sort of thing yet. Mostly I want to know if the core gameplay is the same with just the change in tone. The last two Tomb Raider games weren't so bad, but it was clear a reboot needed to be done. I'm liking the notes they're hitting with this, but ... what are they changing about the game itself? We still don't know. I'm interested, but I need to know more before I'm willing to get excited for this.

#138 Posted by ptys (1938 posts) -

I love Square Enix cinematics.

#139 Posted by PixelStyles (60 posts) -

Awesome. SE knows how to do a CG trailer. and ZOMG, boobies.

#140 Posted by MisterMouse (3550 posts) -

that is not gameplay... but wow. I am stoked for this.

#141 Posted by Poki3 (525 posts) -

Please don't fuck this up.

#142 Posted by Matthew (1912 posts) -

@Artemesia said:

Lara looks genuinely gorgeous in this one.

My thoughts exactly. If they can keep this tone, consider me on board.

#143 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -
@Killjoi said: Based on what I have heard of the game so far, it sounds like Tomb Raider is going to be nothing like Uncharted. I dont think Uncharted is an open world game, let alone survival horror.
#144 Posted by Wonloong (356 posts) -

Yay, now I can play Lost as Lara Croft and have the Smoke Monster chase me around and slash foliage with my self-made cutting stick!

#145 Posted by FireSketch (827 posts) -

I think I'd rather it was just called Lara Croft. Hopeful though.

#146 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

We already have uncharted. Not interested unless there are boobies of the bare variety in this game.

#147 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

looks awesome

#148 Posted by thedez (129 posts) -

WILSOOON!!!

#149 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

If the actual gameplay is anywhere near as awesome as that cutscene, I'm on board.

#150 Posted by Curufinwe (1262 posts) -
@Branthog said:

Oh, Tomb Raider. How I still don't care about you. Let me count the ways.

But you care enough to post here.  How odd.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.