Open-World Tomb Raider Reboot Details Leaked

• 122 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Rumors have pegged the next Tomb Raider game, a supposed reboot, as some sort of open-world mash-up that has Lara Croft surviving as opposed to raiding. And if a leaked fact sheet is to be believed, well, the next Tomb Raider will be just that.

The sheet, which appeared at and has since been pulled from website Four Player Co-op once Crystal Dynamics lawyers allegedly caught wind of the posting, says that the next game will be set on a mysterious and rather dangerous island off the coast of Japan. An "inexperienced" Lara finds herself there after her "research vessel" sinks during a violent storm. As a result, this now unprepared Lara must survive.

And we're not talking strictly food and drink survival here. According to the sheet, this island happens to be home to "mysterious enemies" that will hunt Lara as she apparently attempts to hunt them. When the two clash, the player will be asked to "brutally attack and defend" themselves in one-on-one combat.

== TEASER ==There will be long-range combat, too. As Shacknews points out, one of the concept images Four Player Co-op managed to obtain showed Lara on the back of a horse with a bow and arrow. The fact sheet also mentions guns and melee weapons.

Progression on the island (which is described as "one cohesive world") appears to be tied to item attainment, much like a Metroid game. "React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options," the fact sheet reads, according to Shack.

It bears mentioning that this world will have multiple regions and weather effects, as well as naturally occurring events. 

The point of this project, as outlined by the fact sheet in the last bullet point, is to reboot the franchise and show you how Lara Croft turned into this tough as nails broad who fights mummies without question. I'm not sure if this latest title will do the trick (or if any of this is information actually accurate), but I am excited for a Tomb Raider title for the first time ever. That counts for something, right?
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Rumors have pegged the next Tomb Raider game, a supposed reboot, as some sort of open-world mash-up that has Lara Croft surviving as opposed to raiding. And if a leaked fact sheet is to be believed, well, the next Tomb Raider will be just that.

The sheet, which appeared at and has since been pulled from website Four Player Co-op once Crystal Dynamics lawyers allegedly caught wind of the posting, says that the next game will be set on a mysterious and rather dangerous island off the coast of Japan. An "inexperienced" Lara finds herself there after her "research vessel" sinks during a violent storm. As a result, this now unprepared Lara must survive.

And we're not talking strictly food and drink survival here. According to the sheet, this island happens to be home to "mysterious enemies" that will hunt Lara as she apparently attempts to hunt them. When the two clash, the player will be asked to "brutally attack and defend" themselves in one-on-one combat.

== TEASER ==There will be long-range combat, too. As Shacknews points out, one of the concept images Four Player Co-op managed to obtain showed Lara on the back of a horse with a bow and arrow. The fact sheet also mentions guns and melee weapons.

Progression on the island (which is described as "one cohesive world") appears to be tied to item attainment, much like a Metroid game. "React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options," the fact sheet reads, according to Shack.

It bears mentioning that this world will have multiple regions and weather effects, as well as naturally occurring events. 

The point of this project, as outlined by the fact sheet in the last bullet point, is to reboot the franchise and show you how Lara Croft turned into this tough as nails broad who fights mummies without question. I'm not sure if this latest title will do the trick (or if any of this is information actually accurate), but I am excited for a Tomb Raider title for the first time ever. That counts for something, right?
#2 Edited by Starklight (60 posts) -

Awesome

Though...not sure if I like the concept.

#3 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

that sounds craaazy

#4 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Tomb Raider MMO

#5 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2443 posts) -

This was leaked a long time ago, thought it looked cool. Glad it's apparently still in the works.

#6 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

That actually sounds....good. I mean they still need to pull it off but at least the concept has promise.

#7 Posted by Cronoman66 (36 posts) -

I like the idea of this, flat out survival is rarely used in games

#8 Posted by SolidOcelot (345 posts) -

Brilliant, sounds great, the "mysterious enemies" on a undiscovered Island makes me think of the opening to the newest King Kong movie with the crazy natives

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

Drop the Tomb Raider side, get fresh, and this could be big.

I'm not too keen on anything Tomb Raider related that isn't about platforming and puzzles really.

#10 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

This sounds like it could be pretty good. 
However, I don't like the "reboot" philosophy.  Sure, make a new game that breaks the mold of the previous games, but "reboot" seems to just mean: "Hey, we're going to move our IP over to this other genre for a while."

#11 Posted by AlexW00d (6435 posts) -
@marioncobretti: I'm guessing you didn't read the article at all?
#12 Posted by DanK_ (58 posts) -

I approve.

#13 Posted by GunstarRed (5459 posts) -
@AlexW00d:
i did but  i misread...im an idiot....
#14 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

I'm excited for a Tomb Raider game again? Shit. If the game is half as awesome as it sounds, I'll be sold.

#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12110 posts) -

This sounds like a Tomb Raider game I might actually care about. Actually, scratch that. I'll probably never care about anything with the Tomb Raider name.

#16 Posted by ComradeKhan (686 posts) -

Sounds pretty cool actually 

#17 Posted by cikame (1073 posts) -

I'm looking forward to seeing more about this, i like the idea of wilderness survival and i'm always up for more lara croft... as long as they've learned how to do better animations than underworld.

#18 Posted by Koobz (407 posts) -

This sounds like a great idea.  Really.  I don't know why they're keeping this shit secret.

#19 Posted by DJ_Lae (629 posts) -

Could be decent. But...the last three Tomb Raider games (four if you count Guardian of Light) were great. I guess they feel the need to appeal to the GTA audience to sell more copies.
#20 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2537 posts) -

This game sounds like it could be awesome!

#21 Posted by AndrooD2 (224 posts) -

Yes.

#22 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (682 posts) -

Could be interesting. Open World Tomb Raider seems like a good idea. I'll wait till gameplay first though.

#23 Posted by SippyCupNINJA (89 posts) -

If it's anything like Red Dead.....

#24 Posted by supermike6 (3641 posts) -

As long as she doesn't look too stupid this sounds cool.

#25 Posted by Kontrapunkt (413 posts) -

Ya, this is proper old, thought it was scrapped for the guardian of light but um.. that's a shame.

#26 Posted by Joker369 (878 posts) -

this is where i think the series needed to go

#27 Posted by Veektarius (5018 posts) -

And now Lara Croft is a C cup 

#28 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

It sounds very interesting, but didn't Legend already reboot the franchise? Do they really need to reboot it again? Or was Legend just a poor attempt at rebooting it?

#29 Posted by ObsideonDarman (670 posts) -

Sounds really cool, Tomb Rider needs something to kick-start it again. The series has gotten so dull as of late.

#30 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

I was worried for a second that it would be zombies; intrigued by the one-on-one fighting concept. Definitely sounds promising.

#31 Posted by InfamousBIG (3227 posts) -
@JoeyGM77 said:
" If it's anything like Red Dead..... "
Tomb Raider will never be like Red Dead unless Rockstar develops it.  Nothing will ever be like Red Dead unless Rockstar develops it.
#32 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

I've never cared about Tomb Raider before but this reboot sounds awesome if they can pull it off. I can always use a Metroid style game.

#33 Posted by stryker1138 (5 posts) -

I am excited about all of this. It sounds like they're blowing out the basic concepts of the Croft Manor levels from recent games, and that's totally cool in my book.

#34 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

That can't be Lara Croft, her tits look realistically saggy for their size!

#35 Posted by Kinggi (288 posts) -

Im always looking for more Tomb Raider. Sound great.

#36 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

As one of the few TR fans left this is very exiting. "Open world" sounded like a bad idea at first but a Metroidvania setup could work wonders.

#37 Posted by CptPanda29 (191 posts) -

This COULD be awesome. 

It'll PROBABLY be kinda ok I guess... Please give it the time it needs and don't rush a massive change like this.

#38 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -
@Vigorousjammer said:
"This game sounds like it could be awesome! "
Indeed.
#39 Posted by AuthenticM (3803 posts) -

I really hope they drop the Tomb Raider name and just slap Lara Croft on the cover. If they are really serious about rebooting the whole thing, they should.

#40 Posted by Necrozilla (21 posts) -

Sheesh... this was leaked 16 months ago...

#41 Posted by Nictel (2435 posts) -

Metroid becomes like Tomb Raider 
Tomb Raider becomes like Metroid 

All problems solved! SORTA. :-(

#42 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

The Concept for this game sounds amazing! 
Whether the developers can live up to the idea is the question.

#43 Posted by niamahai (1394 posts) -

wtf no short shorts!

BOYCOTT!

#44 Posted by rbanke (191 posts) -

Is it still called a reboot if you 'reboot' every game?

#45 Posted by tobygw (580 posts) -

If that other site was forced to remove their article on this, wouldn't Giant Bomb have to as well? Someone know the legal aspect to that?

#46 Posted by blueman90 (192 posts) -
@AndrooD2 said:
"Yes. "

NO!
#47 Posted by Octus (1 posts) -

I hope they stick to the survival thing, not put it in as a secondary thing.

#48 Posted by Eribuster (511 posts) -

Sounds interesting. Do they still need the Tomb Raider name? I guess it's better to have some recognition rather than none.

#49 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Finally a lara croft game that seems interesting.

#50 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

It's sad that video games are such a franchise based business that this couldn't just be a start from scratch adventure with a brand new protagonist, rather than a "reboot" of Tomb Raider (ho many reboots has she seen already?) that has nothing to do with the premise of the series. 

I say it's sad because this game sounds like it could be awesome, as long as they stick with that vision of it being a struggle to survive rather than throwing a billion enemies with no AI at you. Now I can prepare to have my hopes dashed while I wait to see what this game actually turns out to be.

And, of course, assuming that this is a legitimate leak.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.