People still pronounce Lara's name wrong.

• 90 results
#51 Edited by MHumphreys89 (714 posts) -

As a big Tomb Raider fan this is such a pet peeve of mine... Yeah, it's Lar-ra. The idea being the name Laura was too English for a global market.

#52 Posted by BoOzak (923 posts) -

Americans pronouncing shit wrong?! Hold the fucking phone!

(I'm not saying they all do but I have yet to hear a european mispronounce it)

#53 Edited by Eidderf (506 posts) -
Reminds me a little of how I've heard Americans pronounce Twat as Twot (basically t-what) that always annoys me a little, but at the end of the day what can you do, as long as you can understand people well enough it doesn't really matter.
#54 Posted by Tajasaurus (871 posts) -

@john1912 said:

@alexw00d said:

@john1912 said:

Hey! Here in Merica its LAR-RA! You want to pronounce it LAW-RA You move to one of those pinko counties over there in Europe!

I assume this is sarcasm, cause the only people I hear pronounce it wrong are 'Mericans, not Pinkos, whatever the fuck that means.

Yes, sarcasm. Pinko's are communists.....You never heard the term pinko?

Oh man. If kids these days don't even know what Pinko means, why did we even bother fighting the cold war...

WE NEVER STOPPED FIGHTING.

The war just got EXTRA cold.

#55 Edited by Neurotic (632 posts) -

I didn't even know till yesterday that people could pronounce Lara wrong. It's a four letter word, it's not hard. If it was meant to be pronounced the same as Laura she would just be called Laura.

I also didn't know that apparently it's a solely British name despite the fact I have met several Lauras (it's a fairly common name) but not one Lara.

#56 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I was gonna post agreeing with you but then I started pronouncing the name and you can easily pronounce it in 3-4 different ways. It's not as simple as I thought, those A's in there are tricky as fuck. You can make several A sounds man! Not to mention that you put a double R in your pronunciation even though there's one R in the name, whassap wit dat?

#57 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@jams said:

I like how everyone is trying to spell out how it's pronounced like people can pick up on your accent from your typing.

You don't need an accent to be able to read a word spelled phonetically. Phonetically it's read as LAW-RUH.

Surely that would be Laura?

I know someone called Lara IRL and she sure as hell doesn't pronounce it LAW-RUH.

It's 'la' as in "LA-LA-LA I'm not listening".

...and 'ra' as in "Hoo-RAH!"

#58 Posted by golguin (3929 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

@jams said:

I like how everyone is trying to spell out how it's pronounced like people can pick up on your accent from your typing.

You don't need an accent to be able to read a word spelled phonetically. Phonetically it's read as LAW-RUH.

Surely that would be Laura?

I know someone called Lara IRL and she sure as hell doesn't pronounce it LAW-RUH.

It's 'la' as in "LA-LA-LA I'm not listening".

I'm pretty sure the Lara in Tomb Raider is not la-RAH!

#59 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@golguin said:

@geteveryone said:

I'm pretty sure the Lara in Tomb Raider is not la-RAH!

Yeah, you're right. I said it very deliberately in my head, and it's obviously wrong.

The la is right, but it should be "la-ruh"... or somewhere between "ruh" and "rah", anyway.

#60 Edited by bibamatt (1088 posts) -

As a man who lives in a city that has a road called "Lara Croft Way", I feel like I have some authority on this topic.

It's La-ruh. As in "la la la" "ruh". Not laura as in "law-ruh".

#61 Posted by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

Lyra Craft.

#62 Posted by Yummylee (21655 posts) -

@officegamer said:

I was gonna post agreeing with you but then I started pronouncing the name and you can easily pronounce it in 3-4 different ways. It's not as simple as I thought, those A's in there are tricky as fuck. You can make several A sounds man! Not to mention that you put a double R in your pronunciation even though there's one R in the name, whassap wit dat?

Boom.

#63 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

"Brits be try'en" a new album by Semantics

#64 Posted by Wacomole (819 posts) -

Just say the word "Larger" without the saying the G and you'll be pronouncing it correctly.

#65 Edited by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -
@neurotic said:

I didn't even know till yesterday that people could pronounce Lara wrong. It's a four letter word, it's not hard. If it was meant to be pronounced the same as Laura she would just be called Laura.

I also didn't know that apparently it's a solely British name despite the fact I have met several Lauras (it's a fairly common name) but not one Lara.

I went to school with 3 Laras. None of them pronounced it like Laura. This thread is so confusing to me. (Especially the guy who brought in 'Sarah' ... which I guess is pronounced the same as Sara where he lives... It isn't here.)

ETA Also, I have this over whelming urge to go find Brian Lara and see if he tells me that television (or more accurately, commentators) lied to me my entire childhood.

#66 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

I know what you mean. I get a bit of an eye twitch every time someone calls it Ninja GAY-den instead of GUY-den.

I do that.

I am unapologetic.

#67 Edited by Rowr (5660 posts) -

Maybe its just one of those names Americans can't pronounce right.

Like Aaron, Craig and Graham.

Erin, Creg and Grahm. Ugh.

#68 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

This thread clears nothing up. What's the IPA pronunciation?

#69 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

I know what you mean. I get a bit of an eye twitch every time someone calls it Ninja GAY-den instead of GUY-den.

I do that.

I am unapologetic.

#70 Posted by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -

@rowr said:

Maybe its just one of those names Americans can't pronounce right.

Like Aaron, Craig and Graham.

Erin, Creg and Grahm. Ugh.

Come on, like anyone would actually want to be called "Grey-ham" proper pronunciation or not. We're doing them a favor.

#71 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I pronounce it Smarty McBread

#72 Edited by Jams (2961 posts) -

Look, most Americans don't care how you pronounce a word exactly, as long as we understand what you mean. I guess it comes from being a melting pot where people either assimilate completely, half-ways, or not at all. So we've gotten used to people saying words differently due to regional accents. We'd be spending all day trying to fix the way people said things (even though American English itself is made up of a bunch of different languages already). Hell sometimes it's more fun to say something in somebody else's accent rather than "properly".

I have a friend that goes to Sweden all the time to do pin striping on old cars. Those Swedes really like to bust his balls over the tiniest of tongue twists that barely fucking matter. Over here when they think they're speaking properly, we don't say anything because we still get the gist so no correction seems to be needed.

I don't know what every other countries problem is with making sure every little lip curl and tongue twist is being made. Especially when you knew what they meant the first time. Save that shit for language classes.

Cultural differences

go figure.

#73 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (410 posts) -

Lar as in Car not Laur as in Bore.

#74 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

They've pronounced it several different ways even within the game itself. It's an incredibly uncommon name (even in the region where it originated.) It looks almost identical to another well known name, and based on the spelling there are at least 3 different pronunciations that would be phonetically accurate. How could everyone possibly be so stupid right?

#75 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Lara isn't a common name. Laura, however, is and I'm much more comfortable with using it.

There are many uncommon names, doesn't mean I'm gonna be a dumbass and say them wrong.

Kappa

#76 Posted by Nilazz (613 posts) -

Laura Cruz!

#77 Edited by Jay_Ray (1101 posts) -

It is pronounced LAW-RUH.

Sylvester Stalone voice: I AM THE LAW.....ruh

#78 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

Oh waaah

#79 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -
#80 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Lara, pronounced, Lara.

#81 Posted by BasketSnake (1208 posts) -

LaggyCrotch is my multiplayer name.

#82 Posted by project343 (2827 posts) -

You don't understand. Laura Craft is my goddamn hero.

#83 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2775 posts) -

Hey, that's the woman who lied about working for Square-Enix while she promoted Tomb Raider in every way possible. Great to see her again.

#84 Posted by Sterling (2309 posts) -

Dlara Croft!

#85 Edited by John1912 (1886 posts) -

Asians arent having this conversation as its just Ra-Ra to them....Those guys have it so easy....

#86 Edited by Sander (414 posts) -

Conan says it best: "...somewhere along the line some prick said 'no it's Lay-rah'..."

Lara = Lah-rah and Laura = Loh-rah and if you want Lay-rah, spell it Layra. That's it.

#87 Edited by strangeling (1260 posts) -

What's this?!? I glanced through all the posts, and don't see any that agree with how I pronounce her name: LAIR-AH.

Lara is the feminine form of Larry, so it only makes sense.

#88 Posted by roc_553 (209 posts) -

Layla Croft. Lola Croft. Leela Croft. Leeloo Croft Multipass.

#89 Posted by Aarglefarg (25 posts) -

@mikkaq: The H is silent in the way we say Graham, in Australia and England and lots of other places. "Gray 'em". There's an alternate spelling: Graeme. I don't think it's "Gray Ham" anywhere. :)

#90 Edited by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -

@aarglefarg said:

@mikkaq: The H is silent in the way we say Graham, in Australia and England and lots of other places. "Gray 'em". There's an alternate spelling: Graeme. I don't think it's "Gray Ham" anywhere. :)

I know, to me it sounds like Gray ham spoken really quickly.

#91 Edited by Shaunage (712 posts) -

It's spoken one minute into the first game. This is not up for discussion.

#92 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3743 posts) -

I pronounce it like this. I don't care.

#93 Posted by Fearbeard (831 posts) -

I pronounce it Load- A Crap

Is that right?

No just kidding. Looking forward to playing it next Tuesday.

#94 Edited by deerokus (543 posts) -

The inability of Americans to prounounce 'Craig' and 'Graeme/Graham' always makes me laugh. And confuses me. Jack Bauer's brother in 24 had something like 5 different pronunciations of his name, all of which were wrong. And they didn't even spell it properly! 'Graem' FFS! >:<

As a Scot, I've noticed that Americans with Scottish surnames (of which there are many) often mispronounce them. 'McKay' seems to be 'Muh-KAY' (rhyming with ray) in America. It should really be 'Muh-KY' (rhyming with sky).

Anyway Lara isn't that unusual a name, is it? I have known several. It's just Larry with an 'ah' sound instead of an 'ee' at the end. Very easy. Getting it wrong is like pronouncing 'Ryan' as 'Ree-an' or something stupid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.