Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

Platforming through a collapsing environment

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's the worst, isn't it ?

I get that it's super dramatic and really cool as a cinematic thing, but when you start failing at it and things starts physicsing out etc it just gets extremely anti-climatic. I remember having the exact same problem in DmC recently, and this game is just full of it. And the worst thing about it is that unlike a QTE it's not always very clear what you're doing wrong either. After watching the same bridge explode two or three times in a row the entire point of the sequence just vanishes. Does it really improve the experience to be in control during those kinda moments, or wouldn't it be better suited as just a cutscene ? Or better yet, if you are in control is it good or bad for it to be so on rails that all you need to do is hold up/down ?

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By noremnants

Weird I haven't had a single problem with those sequences. Most of them are just running along the clear path they have laid out and jumping at the right times. Was there any specific one you had trouble with?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The only parts I dont like is the sliding down shit. Happens way to much.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noremnants: I dunno, maybe it's just a me problem but I always seem to jump at a wrong angle, or get the timing slightly wrong and things just messes up. Don't think I've done a single one of them on the first try. On the other hand the sliding stuff (as mentioned) and QTEs I have absolutely no problems with.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Try going a little slower. I can see trying to rush it getting you into some trouble.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I just did my first platforming through a falling building and thought it was awesome. I even messed up a few times and the level was designed in such a way that I could fall to another level and keep moving. It was really neat.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I haven't played the game yet but I know what you're saying. Sometimes I feel these type of sequences could have the same impact if they were cutscenes.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Needs to be a concept page on this website.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Weird, I felt the sequences like that in this game were particularly well done because they give you multiple paths and even standby paths when you miss a jump sometimes.

bigstrat2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Came here just to vent about this very issue. I just got to the one in the windy tomb area, and boy is it pissing me off. I don't like sequences like that in general, but when you add that the collapsing floor and wind make it harder to control, and that there's no recourse if you fuck up... rage.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

I thought it was sort of fun actually, except for one where I had to use my ice pick to latch on to a climbable wall after jumping off from a house that collapses, and I just didn't realize that that wall was right in front of me, so I'd keep jumping right into a waterfall expecting to land somewhere. Played that section 10-20 times before watching a lets play on YT to figure it out.

I could never spot those walls.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

Tomb Raider has some of the most fun set-pieces involving burning buildings ever. I haven't completed it yet, but I've just finished up the huge moment where the entire temple is completely falling apart. I just loved how on it all was and how bloody fast it all went along -- it just never let up and was such a thrill. Add to that with Lara turning into a pretty awesome character after finally getting fed up with these cultist shits--and for the surprisingly effective way they sent Roth out--and this game has suddenly gotten so much better as of late.

I have died here and there during such sequences, but not nearly enough for it to get frustrating and I've found that the game does a good job in keeping you moving in the right direction.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought it was sort of fun actually, except for one where I had to use my ice pick to latch on to a climbable wall after jumping off from a house that collapses, and I just didn't realize that that wall was right in front of me, so I'd keep jumping right into a waterfall expecting to land somewhere. Played that section 10-20 times before watching a lets play on YT to figure it out.

I could never spot those walls.

That's exactly what happened to me. It took what must have been 10+ jumps into the rocks or that waterfall before I finally would run to the last house and just stand there looking for some other way before I fell to my death. Hell I think the last one was that I just found it by accident by the way she got ready to catch those rocks. I played the game on the hardest difficulty and that was the part I had the most trouble with.

jshan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: Agreed. I had this same problem with the Uncharted series. The amount of times I have to see these characters tumble in one game gets really damn tiring. These games go for realism but the constant falls break my immersion. I think just one epic roll down a hill would be enough for me in any one game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I thought all of them were quite expertly made and really felt dynamic and interesting. It also keeps in tone with the ever present theme of "everything fucking falls apart on this goddamn island"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.