Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

Regarding Lara's Wounds

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

Started playing this yesterday. Initially she falls onto a giant spike, pulls it out, and never addresses treatment of the wound; however, when she comes across that one dude who had his leg chomped on by wolves she starts freaking out about taking care of it.

Why does this game make no sense?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Yanngc33

You could argue that because she cares about the dude who got the leg chomped off, she freaks out.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That spike through the abdomen is the one big thing that really bugged me about that game. The fact that she never treats it and just magically recovers is just too jarringly obvious.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Wasn't there a scene where she cauterizes it?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By TheHT

I did like however that it seemed to act up on her later on in the game.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zeik said:

That spike through the abdomen is the one big thing that really bugged me about that game. The fact that she never treats it and just magically recovers is just too jarringly obvious.

That's kinda how it happens in movies and books too. "But he just got shot in the chest!" ... "Bullet went all the way through" .. "oh ok, it's safe then"
    And then I just chuckle and go "Ah, if only fiction was realistic, then you would hurt a lot, Mr. Hero!"

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. She does. It all most seems like no one in this thread got that far.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brenderous said:

Way way later in the game, after she had gone through extraordinary feats of physical endurance. Stabbing a hot metal arrow into your side doesn't suddenly cure you.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

viddja gamez

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

@zeik said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@brenderous said:

Way way later in the game, after she had gone through extraordinary feats of physical endurance. Stabbing a hot metal arrow into your side doesn't suddenly cure you.

She could have, conceivably, stopped bleeding, but she would still need medical attention immediately because now she's got a harsh burn wound.

I could get past the "hole in stomach for entire game' bit, but what bugs me is the bear trap she steps in and then walks off like it's nothing. NO, IT'S NOT NOTHING, YOUR FOOT NEARLY GOT CUT OFF. You shouldn't even be able to hobble on it, much less murder thousands of dudes, solve physics puzzles, and jump around like George of the Fucking Jungle!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Because Tomb Raider is a hardcore, gritty survival epic shoved into an extravagant action game. It's fun, but my God do I wish it would have stopped taking itself so seriously. It's precisely why whenever Nate got into serious injury but just shrugged it off, it's easier to ignore because of how light-hearted it generally takes itself. Though the moment in Uncharted 2 where Nate's been shot in the gut yet can still manage to take on a whole horde of soldiers is definitely super jarring, even by Uncharted's level of reality.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@zeik said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@brenderous said:

She could have, conceivably, stopped bleeding, but she would still need medical attention immediately because now she's got a harsh burn wound.

I could get past the "hole in stomach for entire game' bit, but what bugs me is the bear trap she steps in and then walks off like it's nothing. NO, IT'S NOT NOTHING, YOUR FOOT NEARLY GOT CUT OFF. You shouldn't even be able to hobble on it, much less murder thousands of dudes, solve physics puzzles, and jump around like George of the Fucking Jungle!

But that aside I really did love this game.

That 1 hour long fire sequence is crazy. Oh and when you get that composite bow, golly golly golly gosh.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

If she had that medicine from that other game where someone is impaled onto an antagonistic rebar, maybe this would all make more sense.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@yummylee: The bit before you get the lighter in Tomb Raider when you're taking damage just for jumping and stuff was pretty good though. If they did something like that after Drake got shot I don't think it would've been nearly as off-putting as it was.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@zeik said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@brenderous said:

I can only assume the bear trap is rustly and broken as hell.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Brenderous

@zeik said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@brenderous said:

I wasn't implying it would cure it. My point was that she "addressed" it, which is what the "OP" had mentioned. But I mean yeah, that ain't gonna do much for the wound.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JasonR86

@vinchenzo:

It gets addressed later in the game. Not perfectly, but better then most games with characters who get injured.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By abendlaender

Cause it's a game.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

Yeah guys, I'm only like 25% in so I didn't get to any cauterizing part. Seems like after getting impaled in the abdomen you'd need immediate medical attention though. I'm not some skinny and athletic girl but I am a mildly strong male and I surely wouldn't be able to do half the platforming, much less killing hundreds of men, without a wound much less with one.

Cause it's a game.

A fair assesment if the game hadn't tried to impose such a "realistic" angle to everything it does. Games should be consistent in the way they address all of this. They could have simply just let her fall onto the ground without hitting a spike. It wouldn't have changed the game drastically and would clear up some minor issues. All that being said it the game is still fun I'm just confused as to why they chose to include this, forget about it, then magically address it.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinchenzo: I know, I know and you are of course 100% right but...if you want to enjoy that game you just have to accept that....in the end not a lot about it makes sense ;)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

actually even if she a millionaire and can get reconstructive surgery or plastic surgery to heal those wounds from scaring.... I think it'd be an interesting direction if they kept the scars on lara and made her into this punk rocker mad max style character.

Loaded up the game with tressfx, and the hair didn't load up she had this buzz cut going with the scars.... it made her look like it fit her character

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@brenderous said:

Sexism. Misogyny. Narrative Dissonance.

Pretty much what people want to remember about that great game.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh I get where you're coming from, but it's no more jarring than regenerating health in a Call of Duty game, which takes the whole soldiering thing with an equivalent level of seriousness

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Man, y'know what was great about that game? The combat. And exploring. Could have used a few more tombs and maybe have them be a little more involved, but still. What a fun game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.