Some information about the Tomb Raider game

#1 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

This came from the latest issue of Game Informer, and someone on NeoGAF was nice enough to type it up:

- Lara is 21 in this game
- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.
- They're doing performance capturing with this game
- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
- CD won't talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."
- "It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking.
- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
- You'll need to gather food and water in order to survive
- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.

That's about it. It seems like CD is still be fairly secretive about the gameplay details. There are some nice in-game screenshots. One features Lara hanging upside down in what looks to be a cocoon. Also several screenshots showing her bloodied and with bandages on.

#2 Posted by csl316 (8141 posts) -

being a big fan of both Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider, i'm really interested to see what happens here.  they sorta tested the waters with an open world in Soul Reaver, and I'm curious to see how they evolve that sort of style.

#3 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Maybe I'll finally play a Tomb Raider game without losing interest this time around.

There are humans in the game?!?! That's incredible!!!

#4 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -

Sounds like Tomb Raider just became relevant again. (Yay!)

#5 Edited by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

Not sure what to make of all this. I've played almost all of em and I really want it to succeed, but I'm wary of how "hardcore" they're trying to make it all seem. Let's not forget Angel of Darkness.  
Although I honestly do hope they pull it off, I'm just afraid they're making all this change out of desperation, not that the series didn't need a kick in the pants.

@benjaebe said:

"there will be no "real" Lara model this time"

Thank GOD. About time they cut that shit out.      
#6 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (303 posts) -

The series definitely needed this. A gritty, young, and a more realistic take on the franchise would be so welcome.  It will be interesting to how this does and compares with franchises like Assassins Creed and Uncharted who have taken the reigns from Lara Croft.  

Realism seems to be the driving force here, with brutal deaths, the dirty and bloody cover art, the need to drink and eat to survive. I imagine some kind of hunting mechanic will be involved. Definitely has me excited. Just hope they give it the development and time to become a truly great game. Eidos and Square Enix really don't have many franchises going for them at the moment. 2011 is looking to be one hell of a fucking year for games.

#7 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

hmm sounds like there are going to be some really cool aspects to it!

#8 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@Rockanomics said:
" Not sure what to make of all this. I've played almost all of em and I really want it to succeed, but I'm wary of how "hardcore" they're trying to make it all seem. Let's not forget Angel of Darkness.  
Although I honestly do hope they pull it off, I'm just afraid they're making all this change out of desperation, not that the series didn't need a kick in the pants.

@benjaebe said:

"there will be no "real" Lara model this time"

Thank GOD. About time they cut that shit out.       "
It's Crystal Dynamics, and they've done a pretty damn good job with the series since they got it. I'm pretty hopeful.
#9 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

Wow, I'm actually fairly excited for a new Tomb Raider game. Imagine that.

#10 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Haven't really played a Tomb Raider game in a long time, I remember playing one on the PC when I was younger and didn't think it was that great.
Though this actually sounds like it could be a lot of fun, I just hope that this stuff actually works the way I imagine it in my head right now, it probably won't though... 
I really hope that Lara will get wounds and dirt, like in the picture they put out, in actual gameplay. I've always wanted a game with dynamically changing character models.

I'm looking forward to seeing some gameplay so I can see how it looks and plays.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.