Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

(spoilers) Tomb raider- My thoughts (and a music tribute!)

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Edited By armaan8014

So i just finished playing the new Tomb Raider a couple of days ago, and found it quite enjoyable, atleast gameplay - wise.

Thanks to my new, relatively powerful laptop (in comparison to my old PC) I was able to push the settings up to (almost) max and still get a good framerate.

The animations are beautiful, and Lara moves, runs and jumps fluidly. I'd say the animations and the gameplay are the best parts of this game. Love the small details in the game, like the way she sticks out her arm to touch the walls of the caves as she runs by them :D

The story though... was sort of disappointing. Having not followed much of the news/ reviews surrounding the game, I didn't really know what to expect, but I'd gathered the game had been getting quite a lot of praise. And as I started it and played about the first hour of the game (before she begins going crazy with guns) I got the feeling that this game was going to be perfect both gameplay and story - wise.

It felt like a mix between Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed in the beginning, and I thought the story and atmosphere was going to be something similar to LOST. I began to expect good pacing, exploration (and stuff like hunting around in jungles) and a really deep character driven story.

Unfortunately though, all that was thrown out of the window a couple of hours into the game, as it took a sharp turn towards a fast paced heavily action/ combat oriented game. The character progression turned from survivor to murderer, and the exploration turned into exploding bridges and similar running sequences.

I soon realized that I had begun to expect something different from the game than what it was really offering. After swallowing my disappointment, I began to enjoy it for what it was. So in the end, it wasn't all that bad.

And after a long time, I recorded footage of me playing a game and made a music tribute for it. I tried capturing the major emotions and character drive that I noticed during the game, and with Linkin Park's "By Myself" (I like(d) Linkin Park :) - you know, the first 2 albums) made a tribute to this reboot!

(MAJOR SPOILERS IN THE VIDEO)

Hope you enjoy!

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Great read! I'm wrapping up tomb raider myself and I have had the same feelings as you. I agree the story is a little weak but i was getting hung up on all the comparing to the uncharted series because tomb raider is great in all the ways uncharted is not but tomb raider does not out uncharted uncharted. Also not living up to the tomb raiding part of tomb raider kinda bummed me out that all the optional tombs are just puzzle rooms.

I also feel the emotional struggle of Lara dealing with the wild of the jungle fell a little flat to me. All the emotional set pieces quickly fade once the set piece is over and does not have any lasting impact. All an all its a great game and loved the use of environments and mood that the game sets up.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phantomzxro: Thanks :) I haven't played any of the Uncharted actually (don't own a PS3) so I think i'm pretty happy I got to experience a similar game if not Uncharted itself :P

Yeah if the exploration and the raiding had been built upon as a bigger priority, the game could have been much more satisfying.

In any case, I think they've set up a nice scenario for any upcoming games in the franchise, and they'll probably and hopefully focus on more than just combat in the future.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

shit emo music in the tribute video, no thanks

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By armaan8014

@nail1080 said:

shit emo music in the tribute video, no thanks

Thanks for watching then, I guess :P You might enjoy this one too

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By armaan8014

bump?

jshan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By jshan87

@armaan8014: This song seemed to coordinate with all the explosions rather well. Great selection.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.