Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

Thoughts about the new Tomb Raider

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Fruitcocoa

I never really felt for the Tomb Raider series other then the first one and Anniversary. The gameplay was alright in the games but that was kind of it. The Tomb Raider stories are pretty boring and I personally hate Lara Croft as a character. So enough of the hate - the new Lara Croft looks absolutely amazing and feels more Indiana Jones/Uncharted then James Bond. If this game turns out to be a kind of raw piece of story of Lara getting away from whatever she's running from (cause really, why would an inexperienced little girl go on a top secret mission) this might actually turn out as a fantastic game. Afterall it is an M rated game at this point and those first screenshots looks pretty darn great! 

No Caption Provided
    Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Fruitcocoa

I never really felt for the Tomb Raider series other then the first one and Anniversary. The gameplay was alright in the games but that was kind of it. The Tomb Raider stories are pretty boring and I personally hate Lara Croft as a character. So enough of the hate - the new Lara Croft looks absolutely amazing and feels more Indiana Jones/Uncharted then James Bond. If this game turns out to be a kind of raw piece of story of Lara getting away from whatever she's running from (cause really, why would an inexperienced little girl go on a top secret mission) this might actually turn out as a fantastic game. Afterall it is an M rated game at this point and those first screenshots looks pretty darn great! 

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There are screenshots? I must see!

I just bought Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light. Can't wait to play it.

Fucking loved Anniversary, too.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fruitcocoa

The team confirmed that the pictures indeed were in-game screenshots in Game Informer! :) 

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Voxatron
    @CarlSmith said:

" The team confirmed that the pictures indeed were in-game screenshots in Game Informer! :)  "

You mean the Game Informer cover is in-game, because I'm pretty sure they haven't released any screenshots and are waiting till the January issue comes out on the 11th to?
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By RE_Player1

I think it's funny how Mega64 posted a video today that sums up my feelings on this "reboot" of the series.  

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By benjaebe
    @Panic_Switch said:
    " @CarlSmith said:
    " The team confirmed that the pictures indeed were in-game screenshots in Game Informer! :)  "
    You mean the Game Informer cover is in-game, because I'm pretty sure they haven't released any screenshots and are waiting till the January issue comes out on the 11th to? "
    There've been scans of the screenshots in Game Informer all over forums and stuff. It's looking really good. I'm sure if you search around a bit you'll find some.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Panic_Switch: 
    The magazine was leaked and does contain screenshots.  I'm guessing super high-rez PC shots, but it does look pretty amazing.
    The gameplay itself sounds really interesting too, I'm very happy they aren't just going for an Uncharted clone.
    Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fruitcocoa
    @Panic_Switch: No, no. The ones you'll see in the article! :) 
    Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Voxatron
    @benjaebe said:
    " @Panic_Switch said:
    " @CarlSmith said:
    You mean the Game Informer cover is in-game, because I'm pretty sure they haven't released any screenshots and are waiting till the January issue comes out on the 11th to? "
    There've been scans of the screenshots in Game Informer all over forums and stuff. It's looking really good. I'm sure if you search around a bit you'll find some. "
    Sweet! haha I guess I shouldn't underestimate stuff getting leaked.

@WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Panic_Switch:  The magazine was leaked and does contain screenshots.  I'm guessing super high-rez PC shots, but it does look pretty amazing. The gameplay itself sounds really interesting too, I'm very happy they aren't just going for an Uncharted clone. "
    Yeah it's pretty cool they've come up with their own take on it at the very least, and all the survival is bound to be fun.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#10  Edited By Lazyaza

I'm pretty interested to see what this game is exactly, the redesign of Lara is pretty sweet. She actually looks like a character now as apposed to a walking doll. :p

LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By LlamaLlama

Never been interested in Tomb Raider as well, but was cautiously intrigued by the announcement. I'm full on hyped for the game now after seeing some scans before they were taken down.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By haggis

The series desperately needed a full reboot. Lara was born as a teenage boy's fantasy, all her depth was in her tits. You could get away with that in the 90s, but it's incredibly stale. Most of the incremental changes to the character over the years have been great, but never enough. Individually, the games always had moments of greatness surrounded by a lot of dreck. I enjoyed them to a point, but rarely finished them.

I'm very much looking forward to this game. Partly that's because I love third person action-adventure games with platforming elements. But a good portion of it is because there was always so much untapped potential in Tomb Raider that never managed to make it into the game. I'm skeptical that this game will change that, but I'm hopeful. Which is more than I can say about a Tomb Raider game in a long time. The screens looked good, and now all I'm waiting for is some gameplay vids to see if they've really taken things to the next level. So far, the open world, survivalist stuff sounds absolutely wonderful.

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Voxatron
    @CarlSmith said:
    " @Panic_Switch: No, no. The ones you'll see in the article! :)  "
    Just found them, they definitely inspire some hope for the game.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @RE_Player92 said:

" I think it's funny how Mega64 posted a video today that sums up my feelings on this "reboot" of the series.  

"
    I dislike reboots and I understand that this is satire..  but geez, did they miss the point. 

Reboot = completely restarting the story.  Get rid of all the crap that came before and restart it so it can make sense for a new generation.  I think Haggis here did a good job of explaining exactly why her character needs a fresh start.  (although I'd argue that Legend already did that, and this could have simply been a prequel)

But as for the gameplay..  It's now an open world/survival game that plays out similar to Metroid/Castlevania games.  You have to learn new skills and scavange for new equipment to reach new areas.  You combine items to make new weapons and tools.  Food and water is required to stay alive.  Shooting mechanics are similar to Uncharted / Gears of War but the game still has more of a focus on the exploration and survival elements.

This is why it's a reboot, it's a completely new take on the series.  They haven't simply thrown dirt on her face and said "teh rebootz!" and those guys are morons for attempting to imply that when they obviously don't know what they're talking about.  Yes, satire.  But satire is only funny when it makes sense, making fun of something that's not true is just.. juvenile.
    me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By me3639

Got the magazine yesterday and yea it looks pretty friggin cool. Now the $$$$$ question, can they deliver?

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fruitcocoa
    @me3639 said:
    " Got the magazine yesterday and yea it looks pretty friggin cool. Now the $$$$$ question, can they deliver? "
    I mean, I can't imagine this being a bad game gameplay wise. And story wise this is pretty much already better then all the other Tomb Raider games combined! :) 
    MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MarkWahlberg
     @Panic_Switch said:
    " @CarlSmith said:
    Just found them, they definitely inspire some hope for the game. "
    I mean, I did put them right there in the forum. But noooo, nobody wants to comment on my thread, it's not cool enough.

If anyone needs me, I'll be sulking in the corner.
    Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Voxatron
    @MarkWahlberg said:
    "  @Panic_Switch said:
    " @CarlSmith said:
    Just found them, they definitely inspire some hope for the game. "
    I mean, I did put them right there in the forum. But noooo, nobody wants to comment on my thread, it's not cool enough. If anyone needs me, I'll be sulking in the corner. "
    It's totally my bad, I completely forgot about checking the forums. Sorry your sulking in the corner... :(
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mordukai

What do I think? 

I think they should stop trying to make Tomb Raider relevant. THey need to give to give the TR series a long nap and if they are really out of original ideas and only interested in reboots or remakes then fucking go back to a game series that gamers actually care about like Legacy of Kain. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dany

Well, whats different with it? Any in game screenshots that aren't concept art

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Voxatron
    @Dany said:

" Well, whats different with it? Any in game screenshots that aren't concept art "

*REDACTED*
    Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fruitcocoa

I don't think that sharing scans on communities is such a good idea, Panic_Switch. 

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Voxatron
    @CarlSmith said:

" I don't think that sharing scans on communities is such a good idea, Panic_Switch.  "

Yeah your probably right, I'll just keep those to myself.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Romination

wait... did I read right? Did you say it's M-rated so far? 
    worked will for Angel of Darkness, didn't it?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By awesomeusername
    @CarlSmith: I was shocked at reading it was rated M. She gets some crazy deaths like someone stabbing her and closing her eyes. Or a boulder falling on her leg and then another on her head. That's crazy. I've never played any Tomb Raider but this might be the one I try. I had the first one I think, just never played it. 

@Romination

said:

" wait... did I read right? Did you say it's M-rated so far? ... .... .... .... worked will for Angel of Darkness, didn't it? "

Totally is dude. Look at my comment. Visit the Tomb Raider page on here, it's going to be gruesome. 

Edit: Or just read this. 

The game is mature rated due to the horrific number of ways Lara can be killed in this game.  

There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fruitcocoa
    @awesomeusername: To visit the site you have to be 18, and judging from the screens I wouldn't be surprise if it remained so. :D 
    Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Voxatron
    @awesomeusername said:

" @CarlSmith: I was shocked at reading it was rated M. She gets some crazy deaths like someone stabbing her and closing her eyes. Or a boulder falling on her leg and then another on her head. That's crazy. I've never played any Tomb Raider but this might be the one I try. I had the first one I think, just never played it. 

I don't know though the deaths in Tom Raider have always been pretty intense even with a T-rating, but I'm really excited regardless they do sound insanely crazy. I definitely can't remember any games though at the time having a comparable neck snapping noise or the numerous spike impaling traps in it.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By awesomeusername
    @CarlSmith said:
    " @awesomeusername: To visit the site you have to be 18, and judging from the screens I wouldn't be surprise if it remained so. :D  "
    I need to so check the site right now. I'm so happy I'm 18, I can now buy M rated games without older people.:D 

@Panic_Switch said:
    " @awesomeusername said:

" @CarlSmith: I was shocked at reading it was rated M. She gets some crazy deaths like someone stabbing her and closing her eyes. Or a boulder falling on her leg and then another on her head. That's crazy. I've never played any Tomb Raider but this might be the one I try. I had the first one I think, just never played it. 

I don't know though the deaths in Tom Raider have always been pretty intense even with a T-rating, but I'm really excited regardless they do sound insanely crazy. I definitely can't remember any games though at the time having a comparable neck snapping noise or the numerous spike impaling traps in it. "
    While that's true, you have to remember that games weren't that good back then graphically. Now you can see someone's skin ripping from their neck while someone pulls their head off.(Kratos and Helios in GoW3.) So with the improvement of graphics and sound, it's much worse now so games from old generations are nothing compared to this gen.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By guiseppe

Well, from the scans I've seen, it looks really awesome. But these are just still pictures that offer nothing but a glimpse of what the game may look like, there's not telling about what it's actually going to be. That said, I'm getting kind of a horror vibe from the scans, which would be much appreciated, since raiding tombs containing 'magical' artefacts from a long forgotten past would likely be creepy as all hell to explore.

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Voxatron
    @awesomeusername said:
    @Panic_Switch said:
    " @awesomeusername said:

I don't know though the deaths in Tom Raider have always been pretty intense even with a T-rating, but I'm really excited regardless they do sound insanely crazy. I definitely can't remember any games though at the time having a comparable neck snapping noise or the numerous spike impaling traps in it. "
    While that's true, you have to remember that games weren't that good back then graphically. Now you can see someone's skin ripping from their neck while someone pulls their head off.(Kratos and Helios in GoW3.) So with the improvement of graphics and sound, it's much worse now so games from old generations are nothing compared to this gen. "
    True true definitely not the most realistic, yeah I forgot about the skin ripping gruesome for sure. I just meant to say it's definitely not something their doing just because of the re-telling and it's instead just something they'll finally be taking full advantage of considering the hardware at their disposal.  So basically not just making a relatively similar game from all the rest this time and actually using the capabilities of what they've got to work with. 
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By awesomeusername
    @Panic_Switch said:
    " @awesomeusername said:
    @Panic_Switch said:
    " @awesomeusername said:

While that's true, you have to remember that games weren't that good back then graphically. Now you can see someone's skin ripping from their neck while someone pulls their head off.(Kratos and Helios in GoW3.) So with the improvement of graphics and sound, it's much worse now so games from old generations are nothing compared to this gen. "
    True true definitely not the most realistic, yeah I forgot about the skin ripping gruesome for sure. I just meant to say it's definitely not something their doing just because of the re-telling and it's instead just something they'll finally be taking full advantage of considering the hardware at their disposal.  So basically not just making a relatively similar game from all the rest this time and actually using the capabilities of what they've got to work with.  "
    Yeah. I just can't wait to see the deaths this girl goes through. They sound horrible! Poor poor Croft. When I play this game, I'll make sure she dies in a lot of ways. I want to see what Crystal Dynamics does with her.
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rockanomics
    @Panic_Switch said:

This is totally off topic but I remember Mario 64's drowning animation to be just as horrific, if not more than as any of Lara's.
    Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Voxatron
    @awesomeusername said:
    " Yeah. I just can't wait to see the deaths this girl goes through. They sound horrible! Poor poor Croft. When I play this game, I'll make sure she dies in a lot of ways. I want to see what Crystal Dynamics does with her. "
    Putting their hopefully good work to use then? huh? But, yeah if they do end up delivering I think it could be a pretty unique experience.

@Rockanomics said:
    " @Panic_Switch said:

This is totally off topic but I remember Mario 64's drowning animation to be just as horrific, if not more than as any of Lara's. "
    I totally didn't remember it, but I just looked it up your pretty much right Mario definitely sells drowning a lot better then Lara at least.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By awesomeusername
    @Panic_Switch said:
    " @awesomeusername said:
    " Yeah. I just can't wait to see the deaths this girl goes through. They sound horrible! Poor poor Croft. When I play this game, I'll make sure she dies in a lot of ways. I want to see what Crystal Dynamics does with her. "
    Putting their hopefully good work to use then? huh? But, yeah if they do end up delivering I think it could be a pretty unique experience.

To VERY good use. Hopefully it does turn out good.  

@guiseppe: There won't be any tomb raiding in this one. It's a survival horror game so that's why you're getting that vibe.
    Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm probably one of the few people who thinks a reboot isn't necessary. As a Tomb Raider fan who had lost interest I considered the series to be back on track after Legend came out. Also, to be clear, Tomb Raider has never been about Lara Croft for me. It's always been about the gameplay and level design. People who still complain about Lara being being a digital blow-up doll obviously have not been paying attention to the series, as Crystal D abandoned that pretty much from the get-go when they took over the franchise. Having said all that, I am very excited about the new game's direction and all the potential for awesomeness it holds. It sounds like they're doing a Metroidvania-type thing with some LOST -ish intrigue thrown in which, frankly, I can't believe hasn't been done yet.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Agent47
    @Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497: Well I don't think metroidvania is the correct term.As this is not a 2d side scroller.Open world is better.Besides I think the change is necessary.Underworld I found pretty entertaining, but hopefully they can make a more character oriented story.You can't keep the same premise forever before it gets stale.
    Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By Bane

The GI article definitely put Lara back on my radar after who knows how many years of not paying any attention to her at all. If they want her to survive that's exactly what they're going to have to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.