Tomb Raider (AKA Uncharted 4: Female Drake) Gameplay Trailer

• 97 results
#1 Edited by Aegon (5706 posts) -

That's not an insult by the way. It looks cool. Some sequences do look a bit too uncharty though. Heh, the bad guys are Russian like in Uncharted 2.

#2 Edited by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

New trailer is looking badass. A more mature Uncharted would be great. Tomb Raider came before Uncharted so Croft has permission to bite back on Drake. I kind of rolled my eyes at the bullet time moment in the trailer though.

They need to bring back Pitfall as a super edgy, hyper sexualized, and ultra violent remake.

#3 Edited by Landon (4152 posts) -

I find it funny that when Uncharted came out it was called Dude Raider, but now that Uncharted is done we are calling Lara Croft Lady Drake.

Also, I really like how this is looking.

#4 Posted by Aegon (5706 posts) -

@Landon said:

I find it funny that when Uncharted came out it was called Dude Raider, but now that Uncharted is done we are calling Lara Croft Lady Drake.

Yeah I know, but I never bothered with the original Tomb Raider series :P and this seems to be taking a pretty heavy dosage of UC. Either way, it looks like something I'd want to play. Also, nice avatar.

#5 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

@Landon said:

Yeah. Uncharted and Tomb Raider seem to be on the Bethesda "It's Fallout with swords - It's Elder Scrolls with guns" loop of infinity.

#6 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1730 posts) -

Damn! You can bite mens' ears off! 

#7 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

The abuse this game puts Lara through makes me kind of uncomfortable.

#8 Posted by Aegon (5706 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

The abuse this game puts her though would probably kill multiple people.

#9 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Russians are always the bad guys. They need to be destroyed!

I cannot wait for this game! SOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME!

#10 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@phrosnite said:

Russians are always the bad guys. They need to be destroyed!

I cannot wait for this game! SOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME!

Putin disapproves
#11 Edited by Encephalon (1286 posts) -

Really no way of telling at this point, but I'll sure as hell keep an eye on it.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, of course, but I just don't get the discomfort some people have expressed toward the beating Lara is taking. It seems like a pretty standard "trial by fire" character arc.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

That looks awesome.

#13 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4976 posts) -

No Russian.

#14 Edited by awesomeusername (4219 posts) -

That was amazing! But I hate myself for watching the trailer because those awesome setpieces like at the end when she's outrunning the planes engine are now ruined for me.

#15 Posted by MachoFantastico (4794 posts) -

If you are going to learn from someone, why not learn from the best. I'm all for it. Looks great. 

#16 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2190 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Yes, gritty survival stories should never feature women, because women are weak and helpless. Crystal Dynamics should immediately replace the character model with Liam Neeson/Anthony Hopkins.

#17 Posted by Enigma777 (6078 posts) -

Not sure why they changed that bone to a piece of rebar. The bone looked way better.

#18 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

Well color me excited. I think you're selling the game short when calling it an UC clone even if they have taken some lessons from that series.

#19 Posted by kogasu (148 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to this game. It looks so awesome. I've honestly never actually played a Tomb Raider game though.

#20 Posted by misclet (100 posts) -

what's with the assassin's creed tech nonsense in the background of the logos?

#21 Posted by face15 (1303 posts) -

Looks very interesting but I'm not really feeling the voice acting. It all seemed a bit flat.

#22 Posted by TheSlothKing (333 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines: There needs to be a Liam Neeson game.

#23 Posted by KainScion (5 posts) -

@H2Oyea: you do realise uncharted ripped off tomb raider right?

#24 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

Huh. Never thought I'd see attempted rape in a Lara Croft trailer.

#25 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Sooo... rated M for Mature?

Looks interesting.

#26 Posted by DeF (4925 posts) -

@Landon said:

Same here. People always complain about something :)

The game still looks awesome. just as last year's demo looked awesome! I'm still amazed how they made me care about a Tomb Raider game all of a sudden!

#27 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

@H2Oyea said:

Yeah I know, but I never bothered with the original Tomb Raider series :P and this seems to be taking a pretty heavy dosage of UC. Either way, it looks like something I'd want to play. Also, nice avatar.

Eh, while not having as refined cinematic storytelling, I think most of the "Uncharted-like" elements in Tomb Raider have been present since Crystal Dynamics took over the the franchise with Tomb Raider Legend (which came out well before Uncharted). If anything this game moves them further apart since I'm under the impression it will have a significant focus on survival and more "realistic" damage.

#28 Posted by JackSukeru (5922 posts) -

I'm very sceptical,

but also intrigued. I wouldn't mind a reason to finally give a damn about this franshise.

#29 Posted by RedRoach (1199 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

@iAmJohn said:

Yes, gritty survival stories should never feature women, because women are weak and helpless. Crystal Dynamics should immediately replace the character model with Liam Neeson/Anthony Hopkins.

I actually really like the idea of a gritty survival story with a female protagonist, everything the dev has been saying about the story gets me excited. But damn if I don't want that Liam Neeson way more.

#30 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

it looks allright, it does look like they took a page from Uncharted going really cinematic with some of the scenarios.

#31 Posted by AlisterCat (5635 posts) -

Less moaning and we're all good.

#32 Posted by Slax (941 posts) -

If they maintain the brutality through out the game, I think it will really set it apart. This trailer was vicious, but also reminded me why I wanted to play this game again.

#33 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Let's play "guess where the QTEs go" :D

If it's more about actual survival in a hostile and wild environment and less about Lara agonizing in dark caverns then I'm interested. Unlikely. I expect the deer hunting to be a one-time necessity and later a waste of arrows.

#34 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4643 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

I'm surprised it took this long honestly.

#35 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@ervonymous: The game is supposed to be open world, with a big emphasis on the survival mechanics.. but yeah, I'm not really getting a feel for that with these trailers. It looks good, but I'd like to see some more actual gameplay, not scripted QTE's and cut-scenes.

I always hated the amount of combat in Uncharted so hopefully this is much more Tomb Raider-ish than is being shown.

#36 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Delta_Ass said:

Eh, pre-reboot Lara was an invincible superhuman death machine who makes Drake seem like an overemotional softie when it comes to taking human life. Her signature move in the latter games is somersaulting over guys and blowing their brains out while in the air. Anyone with illicit desires on her naughty bits would be dead the moment the thought entered his mind.

#37 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4643 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Delta_Ass said:

Eh, pre-reboot Lara was an invincible superhuman death machine who makes Drake seem like an overemotional softie when it comes to taking human life. Her signature move in the latter games is somersaulting over guys and blowing their brains out while in the air. Anyone with illicit desires on her naughty bits would be dead the moment the thought entered his mind.

Well, when you put it that way it does make sense haha

#38 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

HAIR DOESNT FUCKING WORK LIKE THAT.

#39 Posted by superfoot (50 posts) -

Could be good but kinda looks like the the developers really liked Lost.

#40 Edited by DallasTheGamer (154 posts) -

Great new trailer! I don't care how "Uncharty" this game is it still looks amazing in my opinion. Can't wait!

@kogasu said:

I'm really looking forward to this game. It looks so awesome. I've honestly never actually played a Tomb Raider game though.

Neither have I and I'm super excited about this. xD

#41 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

1) A lot of those sequences look very QTE heavy

2) Don't like the voice acting. She sounds too young and doesn't exude that same self assuredness that Lara always has

3) Love the grittiness

#42 Posted by DallasTheGamer (154 posts) -

@hbkdx12 said:

2) Don't like the voice acting. She sounds too young and doesn't exude that same self assuredness that Lara always has

But isn't the game about a young and inexperienced Lara? Wouldn't make much sense if she was just as experienced as in the older games.

#43 Posted by altairre (1215 posts) -

I'm so buying this. My hope is, that there isn't too much shooting though because that's what drags the Uncharted experience way the fuck down.

#44 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

@DallasTheGamer said:

@hbkdx12 said:

But isn't the game about a young and inexperienced Lara? Wouldn't make much sense if she was just as experienced as in the older games.

Exactly.. hence the voice acting is pretty well cast and original point is sort of moot.

#45 Posted by Dogma (975 posts) -

@DallasTheGamer said:

@hbkdx12 said:

This. She is young in this game (late teen?) and this is her first real adventure and what makes her the one she became in the end. I'm soooo hot for this game! I have never liked the Tomb Raider series but this has sounded and looked awesome from the moment I heard about it a couple of years ago. This trailer does not help because I don't want to wait much longer! March 2013?! Gha....that's almost a whole year!

#46 Posted by bellmont42 (323 posts) -

Gameplay, huh? I saw a couple shots of her taking a few steps, lots of scripted events and some QTEs.....

#47 Posted by iBePeRFeCT (396 posts) -

It looks great and I cannot wait to play this game. Its been high on my most anticipated games since they first announced it.

#48 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -
@DallasTheGamer: I dunno is it? That's a genuine question considering i haven't been following this game. 

In hearing about being a reboot i was just expecting a modern take on the old lara.
#49 Posted by RichieJohn (526 posts) -

@altairre said:

I'm so buying this. My hope is, that there isn't too much shooting though because that's what drags the Uncharted experience way the fuck down.

I'm so with you on that.

I'd like Uncharted so much more if they removed about 80% of the shooting.

I don't want the action to be easier I just want less of it.

I'm intrigued by this game but I thought Underworld was fantastic and I think I'd prefer another game in that style to what they're doing.

#50 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Looks fucking incredible. Yeah, it's taken definite hints from Uncharted, but the way they've described the gameplay seems to differentiate itself entirely. All it looks like they've done is taken to Uncharted's love of action-y set pieces. I'm not too worried about there being too much shooting, from what I've seen guns are supposed to be kinda rare.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.