Tomb Raider (AKA Uncharted 4: Female Drake) Gameplay Trailer

• 97 results
#51 Edited by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

Looks cool. I guess it's only fair that they 'borrow' from Uncharted since Uncharted 'borrowed' from them. I'm not sure I like Lara's voice...or it might just be the character. I get this feeling that she's just hanging on by a thread and, unless this is a prequel, she really shouldn't be. But other then that it looks like it'll be fun. Last I heard there are some open-world elements in the game as well.

EDIT: Apparently it is a prequel of sorts. So, I guess the voice acting fits. I hope I don't get tired of it though.

#52 Posted by Catarrhal (821 posts) -

Did no one else notice how they revealed virtually the entire plot of the game in this one trailer? The only thing missing, of course, is the goddamn tyrannosaurus.

#53 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

If anyone gets a pass to be Uncharted-y, it's Tomb Raider. Game looks cool as hell.

#54 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

You mean Uncharted 4: Drake's Femaltion.

#55 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

I am very excited for this. I usualy never get this excited for shooters, but this looks fresh.

#56 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Now that I've watched it, fuck ME, that looks amazing! I'm really surprised. 

Also her ass is almost as good as real Lara's ass so that's a plus.

#57 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

I hate when people refer to the new Tomb Raider as "Uncharted 4" when Tomb Raider was the inspiration for Uncharted.

#58 Posted by ch3burashka (5018 posts) -

It should have been called Tomb Raider: Watch Dudes Beat The Shit Out of Lara.

#59 Posted by Hailinel (23990 posts) -

@hbkdx12 said:

2) Don't like the voice acting. She sounds too young and doesn't exude that same self assuredness that Lara always has

That's the point. They''re making Lara more human, as opposed to an unflinching kill machine that can face down dinosaurs in strange caves with dual pistols blazing and not break a sweat. The old Lara was more caricature than character. This new Lara feels more natural and sympathetic.

#60 Posted by Pezen (1569 posts) -

Looks great, I have not been this curious about a Tomb Raider game since.. forever. Loved the first one but they seemed to drop in quality (or focus on the wrong things, I don't know) since that original one. Not even sure I truly liked the second one.

#61 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

HAIR DOESNT FUCKING WORK LIKE THAT.

I literally had this exact same thought.

#62 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

This looks great, and the first scene was very reminiscent of the movie, The Descent to me. Also, c'mon, Tomb Raider is just ripping off Pitfall, which Uncharted ripped off Tomb Raider, which all owe homages to Indiana Jones, which is an homage to early action films of the 40s and 50s. It's an endless cycle. 

#63 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@kogasu Same here. This definitely resembles uncharteds style but hey... I love uncharted so that's cool with me. Although Tomb Raider looks much more grittier than uncharted and that sounds pretty awesome too
#64 Posted by Redbullet685 (6029 posts) -

Still looks great, and more Uncharted is great. Even if this isn't really Uncharted.

#65 Posted by AlexW00d (6198 posts) -

Goddamn that voice acting is atrocious.

#66 Posted by Stonyman65 (2609 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

@iAmJohn said:

The abuse this game puts Lara through makes me kind of uncomfortable.

Yes, gritty survival stories should never feature women, because women are weak and helpless. Crystal Dynamics should immediately replace the character model with Liam Neeson/Anthony Hopkins.

Just the voice.

#67 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

@iAmJohn said:

Yes, gritty survival stories should never feature women, because women are weak and helpless. Crystal Dynamics should immediately replace the character model with Liam Neeson/Anthony Hopkins.

Yeah, because that's exactly what I said. And it makes perfect sense, too, since that would certainly alleviate the issue of them seemingly piling on grizzly abuse after grizzly abuse onto this character for the sake of gratuity.

TL;DR Shut the fuck up.

#68 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (264 posts) -

Am I the only who thinks Lara sounds somewhat Australian in this?

#69 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4585 posts) -

Sort of interesting to see how they've altered the story since the original announcement. Mostly to include more young girls, and changing the baddies include LOST-style previous strandees, and not just crazy wildmen.

@bellmont42 said:

Gameplay, huh? I saw a couple shots of her taking a few steps, lots of scripted events and some QTEs.....

Yeah, as cool as this all looks, it also seems hella scripted. Which can work, I suppose - stealth and horror games aren't really famous for being open world and random encounters - but I'm really hoping they at least have some 'wander around on your own' segments. Maybe it's just the survival aspect they're pushing, which now brings up comparisons with DayZ.

#70 Posted by Zaccheus (1789 posts) -

Holy crap if that is not a good trailer. Really hoping this is as good as it looks.

#71 Posted by GunstarRed (5047 posts) -

I think it looks really, really cool. I think the voice for Lara is kinda bad though.

#72 Posted by freakin9 (1104 posts) -

Enjoyed the trailer, would watch the movie. Not so much play the game.

#73 Edited by Coafi (1481 posts) -

I've loved the Tomb Raider games that came out on PS1. I didn't play the newer versions, just the originals. Now seeing this brings up a lot of questions.

Is this ignoring some of her past stories? You see in Tomb Raider the Last Revelation we get a younger Lara from the start when she was already exploring/ training with her mentor Werner Von Croy. Of course, this is the same game that kills her off in the end. I hope that what this trailer shows is not the whole story or plot, it's just the first few chapters or so.

Will there be no tomb exploration? Will we get introduced to some of her partners/ enemies?

I love what they are doing with her character so far, taking her out of the cliche that she was, making her even more "role model" like.

#74 Posted by SuperSambo (2854 posts) -

Looks like it could be a good game, but why do the cutscenes have such bad animation :S

@iAmJohn said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

@iAmJohn said:

Yeah, because that's exactly what I said. And it makes perfect sense, too, since that would certainly alleviate the issue of them seemingly piling on grizzly abuse after grizzly abuse onto this character for the sake of gratuity.

TL;DR Shut the fuck up.

I thought exactly the same as you, it really did make me feel uncomfortable.

I do love the guys overreaction...

#75 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Coafi: I think this is a reboot as much as an origin story.

#76 Edited by believer258 (11686 posts) -

Son of a bitch, this game looks dark.

@H2Oyea said:

@iAmJohn said:

The abuse this game puts her though would probably kill multiple people.

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Damn! You can bite mens' ears off!

I can't say that it makes me uncomfortable, as I like to see characters that have been put through hell come out stronger. However, one cannot step into a bear trap and then walk, let alone run. For that matter, when the guy in Predators did it, he hobbled around and I found that almost unbelievable. You just don't *almost* sever a leg and then walk away from it A-OK.

Why this bothers me and the Far Cry 2 bullet-removal didn't is kind of odd, but there it is.

On a final, one-handed note, the beginning of the trailer had me wondering if we were going to get some more wub-wub in our video game trailers, something that would have made this one suffer.

EDIT: On a final final note, is that Ellie Langford from Dead Space 2's voice?

#77 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

@iAmJohn said:

TL;DR Shut the fuck up.

I kind of agree with you. I don't know... I see this trailer, and all I see are a series of increasingly fucked up scenarios, not really much of a story, if that makes sense. It doesn't seem masochistic, per se. Like, an Uncharted game would feature a series of awesome set-pieces, this game will probably be a series of shitty, fucked up scenarios. They're clearly borrowing the Uncharted formula. I just hope it's more than, "hold up to climb!" Wasn't that fun/excruciating?

#78 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Anyone else bummed that looks less about surviving on the island and more about shooting lots of dudes?

#79 Posted by AlianthaBerries (142 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

HAIR DOESNT FUCKING WORK LIKE THAT.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise you had just gained your doctorate in physics.

#80 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

looks amazing, I've been really excited for this game since it got announced back in 2010.

#81 Edited by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

Alternate title: "3 minutes of Lara Croft getting injured".

#82 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

I've never been interested in Tomb Raider before but this looks pretty good. Might be worth a shot.

#83 Edited by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

Did you all forget all the talk about Uncharted, when it first came out?

Tomb Raider with a dude, Gears mechanics, and Indiana Jones inspired story, and you got Uncharted...

I guess ppl really forgot...

Anyway, Tomb Raider looks awesome, been a fan since the first game on PS1.

@awesomeusername said:

That was amazing! But I hate myself for watching the trailer because those awesome setpieces like at the end when she's outrunning the planes engine are now ruined for me.

Felt the same way.

I know i'm getting this game day one, so this will be the last time i watch or read anything about it, until it comes out.

#84 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@Barrock said:

Anyone else bummed that looks less about surviving on the island and more about shooting lots of dudes?

Definitely. But this is a trailer meant to build up hype, so it's not surprising they're focusing on a lot of the Uncharted style cinematics. Hopefully there is a lot more to the gameplay than that though, I certainly don't want another Uncharted game.

@Coafi said:

I've loved the Tomb Raider games that came out on PS1. I didn't play the newer versions, just the originals. Now seeing this brings up a lot of questions.

Is this ignoring some of her past stories? You see in Tomb Raider the Last Revelation we get a younger Lara from the start when she was already exploring/ training with her mentor Werner Von Croy. Of course, this is the same game that kills her off in the end. I hope that what this trailer shows is not the whole story or plot, it's just the first few chapters or so.

Will there be no tomb exploration? Will we get introduced to some of her partners/ enemies?

I love what they are doing with her character so far, taking her out of the cliche that she was, making her even more "role model" like.

Crystal Dynamic rebooted the series when they took over and nothing, aside from the original TR was considered canon, mainly because the original designer had nothing to do with the sequels and they got stupid/bad really fast.

This one is a complete reboot though, they're changing her back story and everything.. which again, I don't think is a bad thing. The way she's learning to become a skilled adventurer here, makes a lot more sense the whole Von Croy thing. If they were going to re-introduce any of her partners/enemies again, it'd probably be Amanda. The whole villain/friend/potential co-op thing with her worked quite well.

#85 Posted by MegaMagick (40 posts) -

What i wanted:

Most of the open world and survival elements of RDR + a little dose of some of the best elements of uncharted.

What i got:

A visceral, gritty, CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE!

I'm already linin' this baby up in my gamefly queue!

#86 Posted by BlackLagoon (1390 posts) -

I'm kinda bummed about Microsoft's constant moneyhatting of the franchise, like there's some spiteful little executive in Redmond who's still stuck 90s or something. It didn't even work with Underworld, IIRC the PS3 version outsold the 360 one even in the UK (which is Xbox dominated). All they managed was to permanently lock away the final bits of mainline "old Lara" canon from her biggest fanbase. :(

At least it appears it'll only be timed a exclusive this time.

#87 Posted by LiquidPrince (15857 posts) -

Good. I'm looking forward to finally playing another good Tomb Raider game. Everything since Legends has sucked.

#88 Posted by Klaimore (945 posts) -

Hahahah I remember when people said that Uncharted was Tomb Raider with a dude. Times change

#89 Posted by MildMolasses (3214 posts) -

I really liked most of what was in that trailer, but I really hope that this game doesn't devolve into 'Lara almost gets raped' over and over again.

#90 Posted by barberforce (103 posts) -

As a long serving fan of the franchise i love the direction its taking. The original games we're a tad cheesy in away and it worked back in the day. The guys at Naughty Dog showed the world how to do a modern Tomb Raider game. If this game is a exact copy but only with FemDrake i still approve.

#91 Posted by flyingace16021 (163 posts) -

I'm definitely even more interested in the game than I was before. The only thing I really want to see more of though is of the exploration/openworld element of the game, if they are actually going to pull through with a survival aspect of the game.

#92 Posted by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

I just hope she doesn't wind up killing hundreds of guys by the end of the game like Nathan in Uncharted. Otherwise, I liked what I saw in the Microsoft press conference.

#93 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

@Klaimore said:

Hahahah I remember when people said that Uncharted was Tomb Raider with a dude. Times change

Dude Raider 4: Tomb Raider

I was excited for this game because I thought it wasn't going to have a body count >500, I'm not so sure anymore.

@Riboflavin: Both probably come from stuff like Indiana Jones rather than one another.

#94 Posted by coaxmetal (1582 posts) -

wasn't uncharted "inpsired by" tomb raider to begin win?

#95 Posted by Lukeweizer (2621 posts) -

Does no one remember that Tomb Raider did what Uncharted did about 10 years before it?

#96 Posted by big_jon (5710 posts) -

Looked interesting, not my cup of tea, but it seems like a neat looking game.

#97 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

I want a game like Uncharted but with Putin as the main playable character.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.