Tomb Raider Reboot To Be Revealed In Game Informer

#101 Posted by Orange_Pork (588 posts) -

Awesome. All the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games have been great so far.

#102 Posted by Ockman (194 posts) -
@KnifeySpoony said:
" Why is she covered in poo? "
They're modeling her after Sasha Grey
#103 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind: Okay... but a gameplay reboot is still a reboot.  Angel of Darkness was a thematic and gameplay-oriented reboot, even if it didn't disregard the plots that came before.  Mega Man X can be considered a reboot, even though it takes place in the same continuity as the original Mega Man series.
#104 Posted by AuthenticM (3716 posts) -

If they are really dead serious on rebooting the whole thing and getting rid of its convoluted and tarnished past, they should drop the fucking Tomb Raider moniker. Just call it Lara Croft: [INSERT SUBTITLE]

#105 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:
" If they are really dead serious on rebooting the whole thing and getting rid of its convoluted and tarnished past, they should drop the fucking Tomb Raider moniker. Just call it Lara Croft: [INSERT SUBTITLE] "
probably wouldn't do wonders for brand awareness.
#106 Posted by Terrents (292 posts) -

stop making tomb raider cystral dyamics :( and make another legacy of kain game!
#107 Posted by RVonE (4633 posts) -

I'm interested. I enjoyed the last two installments in the franchise a lot (despite all their flaws) and I could go for another Lara Croft adventure right about now. I hope the developers played a lot of Uncharted in preparation for this game.
#108 Posted by Roger778 (957 posts) -

I'm subscribed with Game Informer, so I can't wait to get this issue next week.
#109 Posted by AuthenticM (3716 posts) -
@Toms115 said:
" @AuthenticM said:
" If they are really dead serious on rebooting the whole thing and getting rid of its convoluted and tarnished past, they should drop the fucking Tomb Raider moniker. Just call it Lara Croft: [INSERT SUBTITLE] "
probably wouldn't do wonders for brand awareness. "
I can guarantee you that "Lara Croft" rings more bells in the mainstream crowd than "Tomb Raider".
#110 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Maybe this is just from my lack of knowledge with the franchise, but the only things I ever associated with Tomb Raider were big boobs and jumping puzzles. One of which I do not care for at all. What is there to reboot?

Didn't the game use to have Dinosaurs for her to fight? Bring those back and you will have me interested. Dinosaurs need a comeback.
#111 Posted by Hichael (161 posts) -

preeettyyy :D

#112 Posted by Nictel (2412 posts) -

The artwork has made me very excited! And NO not in that way. 

#113 Posted by DFSVegas (353 posts) -

Uncharted with Boobs...  

Naughty Dog has raised the bar so high on Third Person action platformers, I don't see any way this can compete.  

P.S. I'm only now beating Uncharted 2, and I'm in love. Color me biased.

#114 Posted by Deathawk (280 posts) -

Seems like they're always rebooting the franchise nowadays...
#115 Posted by Slib (25 posts) -

That's cool. Tomb Raider is a series that could have used a fresh coat of paint ages ago.

#116 Posted by TobyD81 (1227 posts) -

The new look is kinda cool. Hope it turns out.

#117 Posted by CrystaljDesign (150 posts) -

Tomb Raider article with the words "battered" and "gash" sweet...

#118 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -
@Terrents said:
"stop making tomb raider cystral dyamics :( and make another legacy of kain game! "

I agree and disagree... :S ??? 

Make another GOL with Laura and i will be soo happy. and yes!!! ALL MIGHTY GOD AND DEVILS! MAKE ANOTHER LOK GAME!! Or ship a remake of Soul Reaver to psn/live! Im dreaming... i know:(
#119 Posted by Ruggington (7 posts) -

Lara Croft: Blood on the Tits

#120 Edited by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

I'd be OK with this look instead, put pants on her if you absolutely have to.

IMO - I'd rather see the Legacy of Kain series continue, or reboot. but.....  
...what's with the She-Butch Lesbiman concept, CD?   It's weirding me out. I'm all for making her appear a bit more real, but do so in a way that doesn't resemble the manliest looking anime male. 
#121 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -
@Overwatch said:
" Shee looks a bit like Hilary Swank. "
of all the "she looks like..." things people have been saying i think i agree with this the most
#122 Posted by CrescendOtaku (53 posts) -

"Lara Croft  "finds out just how far she must go in order to stay alive" after her ship wrecks on a beach." 

Makes me wonder if there will be any actual tomb raiding in the entire game. 

#123 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

For.

@AuthenticM said:

Also for.

#124 Posted by Hamst3r (4481 posts) -

Ooh, you dirty little minx...

#125 Posted by Hairydutchman (1039 posts) -

HOT! 
 Lara looks like a real woman now.

#126 Posted by BitterAlmond (401 posts) -
"Forget everything you knew about Tomb Raider," said Darrell Gallagher, head of Crystal Dynamics in a press release. "This is an origins story that creates Lara Croft and takes her on a character defining journey like no other." ' 

If I only had a dollar for every time I've heard that... I think I might have enough to buy a whole new Tomb Raider reboot.
#127 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11626 posts) -

Yep. The amount of caring I have for Tomb Raider is still non-existent. Also: Boobs.

#128 Posted by TurboMan (7506 posts) -

"HEY! I HEARD THAT THEY'RE REBOOTING THE TOMB RAIDER SERIES!" 

"AGAIN?" 

"YUP."

#129 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2158 posts) -

I just got the magazine, and I scanned through the article. The in-game model looks great, and she finally has a realistic rack after all these years. She also seems to have stolen Elena's outfit from the first Uncharted. 

Anyway, the cover is pretty awesome up close, one of my favorites of the new GI. 

#130 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (744 posts) -

So this is Girl Uncharted?

#131 Posted by Saieno (176 posts) -

I loved playing Tomb Raider 2 back in the day, and just recently started playing Tomb Raider Underworld. I really miss the Tomb Raider gameplay, but the character they made Lara Croft into really didn't interest me. I have a feeling we'll see a more 'every man' character similar to Nathan Drake from Uncharted, and I actually think it'll be for the better. She needs flaws.

#132 Edited by Kontrapunkt (413 posts) -
@MushroomSamba: It sounds absolutely bonkers, I really wonder what they are going to with this game, sounds really quite brutal and action oriented I'm not sure quite what to think of it, on the one hand it's awesome but on the other I think it feels a bit wrong for Lara to be in like situations. 

The only true words I have are "What the fuck is going to happen?"
#133 Posted by xAbleAssassinx (199 posts) -

Uncharted with boobs is exactly what they need to achieve. Otherwise this reboot will go about as well as the last one, which was only what... 4 years ago. 

Also something about that art makes me think they are going to try and make her American. Anyone else get that vibe?

#134 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -
@fazzle said:
" Was the world really asking for a gritty, dark Tomb Raider? "
i just want a tomb raider with like zero plot, good controls, good gameplay and that sweet, sweet ayass
#135 Posted by Hailinel (24413 posts) -

I'd prefer if this wasn't a full-on reboot.  Far too many game series seem to be taking that route lately as the easy way out.  I'm all for a game about a younger, more inexperienced Lara, though.

#136 Posted by Keslus9 (37 posts) -

She looks like she just escaped from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre..

#137 Posted by Nomin (970 posts) -

I don't care as long as the bosom is large and supple. 

#138 Posted by Set (149 posts) -

Screw the haters, Tomb Raider is the most underrated game series of this generation. By faaaaar. Crystal Dynamics did an amazing job with the franchise.

#139 Posted by swagg3r (2 posts) -
@Nomin: Hear, hear
#140 Posted by bbolen82 (11 posts) -

She looks a little too much like Hilary Swank IMO...but I'm hoping this is just art created specifically for this cover.  If not...it might be a tad weird playing as a fake Swank with a british accent.

#141 Posted by fentonalpha (819 posts) -

Series has had more reboots than Keifer Sutherland in Flatliners.

#142 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (140 posts) -
@anterline: Meh at just a magazine cover?
I think you'd need a bit more to base that off of
#143 Posted by Delta_Ass (3276 posts) -

Ugh. Looks like she had a night out with Chris Brown.

#144 Posted by Sheepdude (14 posts) -

Damn I must've missed the article that announced that this article would be announcing the announcement of the reboot of the Tombraider franchise.

#145 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5413 posts) -

Looking forward to it! I wonder how different this will actually be.

#146 Posted by MisterMollusk (399 posts) -

Cool.

#147 Posted by Schlorgan (209 posts) -

NOW EVEN MUDDIER THAN UNDERWORLD!!! lol :)

#148 Posted by BR4DL3I9H (259 posts) -

I may be way off the mark here, but it seems to me that they have seen that naughty dog has made an excellent game in the same game and trying to imitate them. I am not saying it's a bad thing, but kinda funny that it's a game that takes inspiration from a game that took inspiration from the first game series. Looking good though.

#149 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

What are with all of these reboots of franchises that were alright to begin with? Are they scared that their sales won't reach the casual target audience?

#150 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

DEM LIPS

!@BR4DL3I9H: 
I always regard the Unchartered series as more of a third person shooter than a ancient ruin plundering game.

The exploration aspect in the UC series is kinda... non existent.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.