Tomb Raider Reboot To Be Revealed In Game Informer

#151 Posted by OldManLollipop (306 posts) -

So is this the second franchise reboot or the third?

#152 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2186 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3:  

Uh, if a franchise has withered, then it's probably due for a massive change. Underworld wasn't very well liked from what I remembered.
#153 Edited by Kontrapunkt (413 posts) -

If anyone wants to look at a few magazine pictures and transcriptions of the text 
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=175919

Looking at it I still really don't know it looks marvelous but a little disturbing and sadistic. Never mind that, all opinions are out until launch day.

#154 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Kontrapunkt said:

" If anyone wants to look at a few magazine pictures and transcriptions of the text  http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=175919  Looking at it I still really don't know it looks marvelous but a little disturbing and sadistic. Never mind that, all opinions are out until launch day. "

Looks like Descent: The Video Game.
#155 Posted by cedellh (6 posts) -

I am more than interested in this "new" direction

#156 Posted by Tsarevich (14 posts) -

The bullet list of features in the article has me excited, but the game can't possibly live up to what I'm imagining right now. At least she doesn't look like a blow-up doll anymore.

#157 Posted by AuthenticM (3759 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
" What are with all of these reboots of franchises that were alright to begin with? Are they scared that their sales won't reach the casual target audience? "
Tomb Raider hasn't been alright for a very long time my friend.
#158 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

Looks better then the last look for Lara

#159 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
Another reboot?

So, when it's released and it turns out that it's just another Tomb Raider game that nobody wants... will they reboot it again?
#160 Posted by Sin4profit (2948 posts) -

that woman is hideous and has the mouth herpes.

#161 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

I find myself excited. Hope they can pull this off.

#162 Posted by onegoodlogan (9 posts) -

Seems like every new Tomb Raider has been a reboot this generation.

#163 Posted by Kontrapunkt (413 posts) -
@xobballox:  Oh christ!
#164 Posted by Voxatron (352 posts) -

After Guardian of Light I've got high hopes for whatever they've got planned, I guess it's only obvious they'd want to capitalize on the success of the franchise that revived the genre. 
So I wonder who Nolan's going to voice, Lara?

#165 Posted by SuperEvilDOOM (30 posts) -

This looks so awesome.

#166 Posted by YukoAsho (2078 posts) -
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" Another reboot?  So, when it's released and it turns out that it's just another Tomb Raider game that nobody wants... will they reboot it again? "
Dude, hush, Crystal Dynamics' games have been pretty damned fine up to now, and as weary as I am about yet another reboot, the new, gritty look could help the series something fierce.
#167 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@YukoAsho said:

" @sofacitysweetheart said:

" Another reboot?  So, when it's released and it turns out that it's just another Tomb Raider game that nobody wants... will they reboot it again? "
Dude, hush, Crystal Dynamics' games have been pretty damned fine up to now, and as weary as I am about yet another reboot, the new, gritty look could help the series something fierce. "
Wasn't Underworld supposed to be the new, gritty look Tomb Raider fans were waiting for? :/
#168 Posted by Cowman (671 posts) -
#169 Posted by afrofools (1352 posts) -

That Lara better get the dirt out of the scars or she might get an infection :O

#170 Posted by jtman54179 (183 posts) -

Sounds like they got the story from Green Arrow, especially with that bow on her back
Probably a repeat post but that's my opinion 
Will be following it to see how it goes

#171 Posted by YukoAsho (2078 posts) -
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" @YukoAsho said:

" @sofacitysweetheart said:

Dude, hush, Crystal Dynamics' games have been pretty damned fine up to now, and as weary as I am about yet another reboot, the new, gritty look could help the series something fierce. "
Wasn't Underworld supposed to be the new, gritty look Tomb Raider fans were waiting for? :/ "
Naw, dude, Underworld was a direct sequel to Legend, which was the reboot.  Anniversary, while technically a remake of the first game, had some of the story changed in order to fit with the new Legend fiction, making it technically a prequel to Legend.
#172 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@BR4DL3I9H said:
" I may be way off the mark here, but it seems to me that they have seen that naughty dog has made an excellent game in the same game and trying to imitate them.
Isn't this reboot supposed to be open-world'ish? Which would be pretty much the complete opposite of Uncharted, which is extremely linear.
#173 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@Sweep said:
Does anyone really care about Lara Croft at this point?
Yeah, I do, because the Tomb Raider games are pretty much the only platforming action-adventures left that actually contain some exploration instead of being a completly linear shooter.
#174 Posted by GiHubb (16 posts) -

Looks promising to me. Crystal Dynamics won me over with Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. For me, it was the best game of the year. It had fantastic dual stick action, spiced up with platforming, puzzling and exploration, while rewarding the player in meaningful ways. It also had the best co-op multiplayer I ever played, with characters that have different abilities requiring players to work together in order to solve the puzzles. It was meaningful and fun all the way through with varied and entertaining level design. So yeah, I'm looking forward to Crystal Dynamics' next offering.

#175 Posted by thenexus (331 posts) -
@anterline: How can you make any form of opinion of value from a peace of artwork? 
Wait for the actual game and of course actual gameplay footage of a close to/finished game or a playtest by yourself before making opinions about it.
#176 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Details from the magazine: 
(which are all pretty much inline with the details leaked months back)

• Lara is 21
  • The game is an open world / survival game
  • Will be required to learn new skills and scavenge gear to access new areas
  • Items can be combined to create new weapons or tools
  • No loading between areas
  • Food and water is required to survive
  • Shooting mechanics will be similar to Uncharted/Gears of War, no more lock on system
  • Deaths are graphical

So other than the shooting mechanics, which Uncharted hardly invented, the game thankfully seems to be staying away from just being a bland copy.
#177 Posted by Downsize (133 posts) -

Being a huge Lara Croft fan/Tomb Raider,  I welcome a change.  im pretty sure Crystal Dynamics will deliver in gameplay and Lara's looks.  Both very important to us.

#178 Edited by PenguinDust (12550 posts) -

"An ordinary Lara Croft"?  So, does that mean she's no longer a British aristocrat?  If they stray too much from the character just to "reboot" the franchise then I'm not sure she'll still be Lara Croft.  Would Batman still be Batman if he was just a regular guy who worked a 9 to 5 at Bailey Savings and Loan?  The roots of a character define just as much as what they do.  For some reason this reminds me of that horrible Halle Berry Catwoman movie.  They changed everything about the character in that film and she ceased to be who she was supposed to be.  In retrospect that was a good thing since it left Selina Kyle unsullied by that fiasco.  I'm not sure I'll have the same connection to this "new" Lara if she's just some random chick who jumps around old ruins.   

I wonder if she'll still have big boobs. ;-p

#179 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" "An ordinary Lara Croft"?  So, does that mean she's no longer a British aristocrat?  If they stray too much from the character just to "reboot" the franchise then I'm not sure she'll still be Lara Croft.  Would Batman still be Batman if he was just a regular guy who worked a 9 to 5 at Bailey Savings and Loan?  The roots of a character define just as much as what they do.  For some reason this reminds me of that horrible Halle Berry Catwoman movie.  They changed everything about the character in that film and she ceased to be who she was supposed to be.  In retrospect that was a good thing since it left Selina Kyle unsullied by that fiasco.  I'm not sure I'll have the same connection to this "new" Lara if she's just some random chick who jumps around old ruins. "
I don't think they're dumping the British aristocrat backstory.  Being stranded on an island after a planecrash and having to learn her survival/exploration skills were always part of her character too, they're just changing up how all that happened a bit.

@PenguinDust said:
" I wonder if she'll still have big boobs. ;-p "

#180 Edited by anterline (73 posts) -
@thenexus said:

" @anterline: How can you make any form of opinion of value from a peace of artwork? Wait for the actual game and of course actual gameplay footage of a close to/finished game or a playtest by yourself before making opinions about it. "

Just like people have an opinion just by looking at the review scores (GT5), just like people who have an opinion on just looking at a trailer.. (DMC5 and Infamous 2). I think its going to be a Meh game just by looking at the text and artwork. If you want to make a 5 paragraph explanation why I'm wrong, then fine..
#181 Posted by PenguinDust (12550 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind:   Hmm, looks like they've decided to fashion her after another more recent video game heroine... 
#182 Posted by dprabon (316 posts) -

I love tomb raider... mostly nostalgia; have always enjoyed 'em, even when they kinda suck. ( ; 
looking forward for this.

#183 Posted by Parsnip (1098 posts) -

Kind of looks like an uglier version of Jolene Blalock.

#184 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

She looks realistic in the front cover.

#185 Posted by Spekingur (161 posts) -

Multiplayer? Co-op?

#186 Posted by UnderHero5 (11 posts) -

I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, but I'll keep my eye on this. Could be neat. 

#187 Posted by THRICE (167 posts) -

I get the sense people are extremely down on this game when all we got are scant details and a concept art picture. The premise sounds pretty awesome, there have been several attempts at the stranded on a island story in games that never quite work out or totally end in epic failure. Restart to Tomb Raider combined with an open world survival theme is a mix I'm totally on board for until I see something that makes me think otherwise.

#188 Posted by MisfitToy (135 posts) -

Isn't pretty much every other Tomb Raider game these days a reboot?
#189 Posted by JohnZimmerman (199 posts) -

oh boy.  i hope it's more like uncharted and less like tomb raider.

#190 Edited by Kyle (2323 posts) -
Darell Gallagher said:

" Forget everything you knew about Tomb Raider"

Done. 

Okay, seriously though, this is a reboot that needed to happen, and this is the first Tomb Raider announcement I've actually been interested in. I love platformers and survival games, so I hope it's good.
#191 Posted by DrKatz83 (31 posts) -

I'd have rather seen just a follow up to Legend-Underworld.  Those games were good Tomb Raider games.  Nothing stellar or revolutionary, but they were the best games in the series since the original two.  I guess they didn't sell well enough to warrant a third game; so they are going to try yet again to push it in a "new" direction (which predictably is grittier and more realistic).  I doubt  however this will sell markedly better than previous Tomb Raider games, I just think that Lara Croft peaked about a decade ago and is never going to be as relevant again.  That being said, Crystal Dynamics is good at making this type of game.
#192 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

looks exactly like uncharted. infact, that character model looks like a female drake now. her shirt even looks have tucked. 

#193 Posted by shaane (3 posts) -

excited

#194 Posted by CommanderZx2 (134 posts) -

More Tomb Raider is always welcome, I shall get it.

#195 Posted by Crashnburn83 (15 posts) -

make it like uncharted and i'm there.

#196 Posted by CrispyT68 (28 posts) -

Why are prequels and reboots the new black?  Just make a good game, people!

#197 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -
 Reoooow!
#198 Posted by ptys (1968 posts) -

Is that CG or photo-manipulation?.. she looks awesome! I think starting form the beginning, if done to the quality of something like Uncharted 2 could be something really great. Lara was the first female I used in a video game and I still think she encompasses the spirit of the action heroine.

#199 Posted by Crump (23 posts) -

This looks Awesome! Bow and Arrow?! and Lara, hope they do not do it in the style of the Guardian of light thing, did not approve of that...

#200 Posted by INCSlayer (38 posts) -

that is so jolene blalock

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.