Tomba releases tomorrow on PSN!

#1 Posted by MightyDuck (1502 posts) -

This is definitely a ps1 game that I never got around to playing. I had a demo of it from one of the JamPack demo disks and played it a ton. I'm really looking forward to picking this up and playing through it.

Anybody else out there doing the same?

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -

BUY THIS GAME PEOPLE OR I WILL KILL YOU

#3 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (457 posts) -

I will be picking this up. Jeremy Parish among others were giving it a lot of praise on a retronauts I was listening to a while back. For $6 I'll trust their judgement XD

#4 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

I'm kinda in the same seat, I had a demo I played through a ton of times but was never able to pick up the actual game, I'm pretty stoked for it.

I'm in Europe though so while an eventual release has been confirmed there's no date yet.

#5 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

So, I rented this game for the PS1 from Blockbuster, like, 15 years ago.

All I remember is that I LOVED it. I mean, I was over the moon about it at a time when almost everything coming out was boring the pants off of me.

I really can't remember anything about the game though. I remember you play as a caveman guy trying to put pigs in a bag? Or something? And I couldn't figure out how to do it because the game lacked instructions. So I just played the first area over and over and over and over again, loving every second of it. Then I figured out how to do it, and I felt like that took a little bit of the fun out of the game for some reason. I CAN'T WAIT to try it out again.

#6 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

i have extra money so why not

#7 Posted by papercut (3449 posts) -

I've been so busy I didn't know this was today! I'm getting this as soon as i get home!

#8 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

BUY THIS GAME PEOPLE OR I WILL KILL YOU

Yupp! people who don't buy this game can consider themselves my enemies!

#9 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

What is it?

#10 Edited by jewunit (1054 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: It's a 2-D Metroidvania platformer with 3-D elements. You can hop between the background and foreground in certain areas. The game also has a series of quests that you can complete to earn points and level up your character. Overall, the fun of it is in the exploration and depth that goes beyond what platformers were doing at the time.

I picked it up this afternoon and played it for about an hour. I never owned a PS1, so I have no recollection of the game beyond this commercial for the sequel . Thus far, I am enjoying how spontaneous and fun the quest structure is. It feels free-form, but it still encourages you to explore areas to the fullest. The combat mechanics of "knock out, grab, and throw" have become a bit tedious and the swinging is a little fussy, but the overall game has compensated for these quibbles thus far. I look forward to playing more.

#11 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

@jewunit said:

@Sackmanjones: It's a 2-D Metroidvania platformer with 3-D elements. You can hop between the background and foreground in certain areas. The game also has a series of quests that you can complete to earn points and level up your character. Overall, the fun of it is in the exploration and depth that goes beyond what platformers were doing at the time.

In other words, but it. Because it's well worth the money. Seriously though, there's lots of stuff to do.

While we're on topic. Has anyone else played the sequel? I never got around to it so I'm pretty curious given this release.

#12 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

O_O

I was not aware of this until this moment.

Tomba! being released on anything absolutely validates me finally needing to buy a PS3.

#13 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

Jeez. Did EVERYONE play the damn demo and never got to buy it?! I played the demo only also but no wonder the game didn't sell. No one bought it.

#14 Posted by AngeTheDude (644 posts) -

I'm getting this as soon as I get my next paycheck! WOOOO!

#15 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

Bought this game , hoping it would be good . It's not .

#16 Posted by AngeTheDude (644 posts) -

@spankingaddict: Why don't you enjoy it? Just not your thing?

#17 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

@AngeTheDude said:

@spankingaddict: Why don't you enjoy it? Just not your thing?

These are my kinds of games , but I just straight up am not enjoying it very much . I'll keep trying , but uh.....

It's not the fact that its an old game cause the last 3 games I finished were Castlevania SOTN , Paper Mario , and Crash Bandicoot 3 . And loved em..

#18 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

Huh, didn't think that many people played the demo but not the full game. I have fond memories playing the beginning of that game with my Playstation Underground disc. Picked it up and beat it yesterday and can confirm it's definitely worth the $10.

#19 Posted by Tebbit (4449 posts) -

I could never find a place to buy Tombi (AS IT SHOULD BE SPELT, MOTHEREFFERS), but I brought Tombi 2 when it came out in the hopes that It would scratch the same itch that the demo of the original did.

Boy, that was a strange game. Because I was so young, I couldn't say whether it was actually good or not, but god damn it was hard, and I played it for many, many hours.

#20 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

There was this really ghetto game place I used to go to, and Tomba and MediEvil where the main display games there until they closed. It was really fun, but I didn't know how to read so I didn't really get what was going on.

#21 Posted by Pikawai (135 posts) -

@MightyDuck said:

This is definitely a ps1 game that I never got around to playing. I had a demo of it from one of the JamPack demo disks and played it a ton. I'm really looking forward to picking this up and playing through it.

Anybody else out there doing the same?

It was exactly like that for me too, I played the heck out of the demo but unfortunately I've never got the chance to buy it.

Thanks for the awesome news!

#22 Posted by MightyDuck (1502 posts) -

@PerryVandell: How long did it take to beat? I'm just curious.

#23 Posted by yoshisaur (2646 posts) -

Just watched a Let's Play of this (I do that a lot now that I have a daughter) so I feel like I've already enjoyed it. But yeah, if you own a PS3, pick this gem up!

#24 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

@MightyDuck said:

@PerryVandell: How long did it take to beat? I'm just curious.

8-9 hours, but I did only 3/4 of the "Events".

#25 Posted by Catarrhal (820 posts) -

I own a legit copy of Tomba! Bought it when it first came out (without ever having played the demo). The weird thing is, Tomba! was one of very few (i.e. fewer than ten) PlayStation games that was not compatible with the PlayStation 2, so it's nice that they're releasing this.

I won't be buying a copy of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, but Tomba would be a fine candidate to make an appearance in that game.

#26 Posted by RichieJohn (525 posts) -

I hope this release does well enough that someone get's Platinum to make a follow up. From memory I think the main man from Whoopee Camp works there and was the lead on Madworld.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.