Tommy Tallarico explains why game journalism stinks

#1 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -

As much as I loathed this game in Judgement Day (Or Reviews on the Run in Canada), I have to agree with him on this. Most journalists these days create snarky and hate filled columns, without doing any research to back their opinion up. They done mostly for the sake of spreading rumors and unverified information to stir crap up, so they can receive a lot of hits. 

This is especially the case with websites such as: 
  •  ng4
  • Joystiq
  • Destructoid
  • Kotaku
  • TheEscapistMagazine (The only two good thing from that wretched website are Zero Punctuation and Extra Credit.)

Do the crew of Giantbomb.com fit into his description? Not really. Giantbomb is really a laid back and fun website, they don't do a whole lot of complaining or journalism. I haven't visited Gamedaily yet, but he should have mentioned Gamasutra.com, it's the best source for gaming journalism.

Also, this video was uploaded on November 30th, 2007.
#2 Posted by Rasgueado (702 posts) -

This is good inspiration for me to write an article about why Tommy Tallarico and his roving show of bland game music arrangements stink!

#3 Posted by jkz (3956 posts) -

Why would you throw the escapist into there? They actually write some good articles (for a gaming website...*sigh*).

#4 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -
@Rasgueado said:

" This is good inspiration for me to write an article about why Tommy Tallarico and his roving show of bland game music arrangements stink! "

A very intelligent, constructive and non-snarky forum post, as you can usually find on the internet.    
#5 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -
@jukezypoo: Just rarely. Most of the time, they just copy and paste articles from other websites, which is lazy beyond redemption if you ask me.
#6 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Destructoid and Kotaku are two of the most horrible websites on the internet and I've seen Kinkythai.

#7 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Its easy to blame the games journalists but at the end of the day they're providing a service that is palatable to their subscribers. So maybe instead of whining about games journalism providing something that people want you should ask yourself why this is something society craves in all forms of journalism.

#8 Edited by Apathylad (3065 posts) -

This video is pretty old, I think it may have been posted already. I never cared much for Tallarico on his show Judgment Day, since it was hard to take his opinions seriously (he loved, loved, LOVED Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). 

As to whether or not Giantbomb's sensationalist, maybe not, but there were some pretty opinionated news articles. For example, Brad Nicholson didn't take the Blizzard Real ID complaints seriously and made it sound like the people who didn't like it were a "vocal minority", which probably wasn't true if Blizzard backpedaled on it. 

#9 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

Eh. The sites give what the audience wants.

And a lot of them want BLOOD!

Destructoid is probably the worst though. Angry community, with angry Jim Sterling. Bad combo.

#10 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Makes a lot of sense. I would like to hear what he has to say about Giant Bomb.

#11 Posted by zudthespud (3277 posts) -

I only ever use IGN, Giant bomb and occasionally Gamespot for reviews and previews, and only Giant bomb for news.  As Yahtzee once said, Quality control is such a low priority on the internet it's better to just assume everything is shit. 

#12 Edited by Dogma (942 posts) -

Who makes articles worthwile reading? Gamasutra if you're into that kind of articles, the same goes for EDGE. I also remember 1Up doing a lot of ambitious articles and feutures with a whole lot of depth to them. The thing is that sites like Gamesradar and Kotaku do a lot of researched things too BUT it don't get recognition because of other stuff they do like Gamesradar more loose side and Kotakus endless vortex of posts with content that loosly is about games.  
I don't think The Escapist should be thrown in among those above. Come on...they write good tuff that can make you think. 

BUT here is the kicker. I don't think that Giantbomb don't do that good journalism either. I don't visit Giantbomb for deep and well written articles. I visit this site because of the guys working on this site, the style and the videos. They have good values BUT I don't see them as the best or most professional writers out there. Of course.. this depends on what you are looking for on a site. Me myself love in depth articles that I can find in EDGE, Eurogamer and similar places. Giantbomb fills another kind of itch. I don't think Giantbomb are page/view mongers though that write crap just to get hits so in that regard I very much respect them. 

In short. I think many people just don't look for the good stuff. It's there, you just have to find the right places. It's getting tired to hear that games journalism sucks. What is that? The way to review games? The way you sort out news or is it about writing long articles about the industry, culture or  an in depth analysis of a game?

#13 Posted by Jeust (10334 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Destructoid and Kotaku are two of the most horrible websites on the internet and I've seen Kinkythai. "
And Joystiq and their failed Nier review? Laughable. 
#14 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

Well the whole, 'Journalism' part is laughable anyways.

A lot of the enthusiast press (which I think is a more proper term) admit that there isn't much 'journalism' in covering games.

Well, not that journalism is so much alive and well either I suppose. Almost all 'proper' news reports come from the Associated Press from what I know.

What enthusiast press sites like GB give isn't just information. I personally think the most important aspect of the enthusiast press is actually entertainment. And well...  An avenue for gamers like us to have 'civil' conversations about games.

I think I'm 'liking' doing 'this' too much 'today'. Now that's just silly.

#15 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -
@ryanwho: The gaming community is to blame for giving these horrible websites tons of hits. 

@Dogma: Like I said, Giantbomb is a laid back and fun website. It's not professional in the slightest, it's still better than the websites I've mentioned.
#16 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

You can't fill a site just about games with purely informational news, unlike general news outlets which could but choose not to. So its mostly op-ed.

#17 Posted by Dogma (942 posts) -
@DoctorOptimist: That depends on what you mean by professional. I would call Giantbomb professional in what they do. Just because you take the entertainment route you don't get unproffesional in my opinion.
#18 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

Well since video games are played for enjoyment, gaming journalism shouldn't be so harsh, but a good section of the press tends to be hateful and very condescending. I understand we all get angry and have bad experiences, but taking a heavily condescending attitude always turns me off, and makes the outlet seem very unprofessional. If you keep it level and explain your opinion of something being bad without calling it "pure stupidity" or any other insulting remark, you'll come off  like a professional, and the people who disagree with you're opinion will be less likely to start screaming at you.  

On a side note, anyone else tired of the word snarky? I seem to hear everyone saying it nowadays, and it just rubs me the wrong way. 

#19 Posted by Rasgueado (702 posts) -
@DoctorOptimist said:
" @Rasgueado said:

" This is good inspiration for me to write an article about why Tommy Tallarico and his roving show of bland game music arrangements stink! "

A very intelligent, constructive and non-snarky forum post, as you can usually find on the internet.     "
As was stated... it has inspired me to *construct* a response that is just that. Feel free to respond in kind should you come across it when I'm finished.
#20 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -
@ryanwho: Well I don't just expect them to say crap for the sake of controversy. Instead of giving a meaningful view towards something. Then again, it's something that plagues journalism in other mediums, but with gaming, it's worse.
#21 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@DoctorOptimist: Its worse specifically because they have more time to fill. When nothing's going on, you know you can make a top 10 list or "why popular franchise x sucks" article and get a ton of hits. And that's entirely on the userbase. I guess the only conclusion you can come to, understanding that game sites make more of what's popular, is that the kind of gamers that go to them, generally, are stupid assholes. And thus you get content tailor made for stupid assholes.
#22 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -
@Rasgueado: As long as it's constructive, I don't mind. :P 

I'm not really big fan of this guy, but I agree with his views on gaming journalism. I also think he's a great composer and I like VideoGamesLive a lot. I hated his shtick on Judgement Day though, he was freaking annoying beyond belief. 
#23 Posted by KinkyWizard (53 posts) -

this is weird question because I remember 90' the old man  murray  faze.
lot of sites had insane  in depth  articles about  starcraft , quake,  bizz  simulations, adventures...
games broken down to smallest pieces and game  devz  comments and...
what happened to them...
oh yeah...
they are no more...
even  gamespot  had big articles on games that I cant find on site anymore..
it is true that the best journalist from  bc  to 90' got hired by game industry but...
that's  not a problem...
without anyone knowing, blogs sprung up... from pros and indies... freaks that break  Pokemon  into one big  excel  sheet, street fighter 4 moves broken into frame by frame analysis... crazy crazy stuff... and when I look at the site itself. there are no comments... no followups and no links to these blogs  anywhere ...

IT IS NOT TRUE THAT THERE ARE NO PEOPLE WRITING INTELIGENT DEEP ARTICLES ABOUT GAMES.

bitchin  about  kotaku  is  bitchin  about fox news. you want truth and  knowledge . you  dont  go there.
its the "peoples" bro, "peoples" changed :)

#24 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -
@KinkyWizard: I love Old Man Murray. Even Yahtzee doesn't hold a candle to it.
#25 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
Absolutely agree with the guy, 100% As one of the websites trying to do it proper and with integrity, it's hard to get attention from the public.  It's also hard to do real journalism with an industry that can completely cut you off if you rub them the wrong way, though.  Research is another matter, tons of sites don't do their research.  Even Giant Bomb's staff don't always do their research on relatively simple things.

Anyways, I'm concerned in this age of Fox News that there isn't any room for non-sensationalist journalism.

I want to add, it's not about being 'perfect'.  We at BonusEXP are far from perfect.  It's about being as responsible as possible and not just manipulating your audience.  I feel like Giant Bomb and even someone like Zero Punctuation get their hits legitimately by being funny or interesting.  They are creating something, adding something, not just exploiting their readers / listeners.
#26 Posted by fullmetal5550 (345 posts) -

I think the escapist is a good site. I frequent it quite a lot.

#27 Posted by Godites (105 posts) -
@fullmetal5550 said:
" I think the escapist is a good site. I frequent it quite a lot. "
I would like the escapist A LOT more if they kicked out Yahtzee. Yup, you heard that right. I never found him funny. I don't think he's a bad reviewer, but I view him the same way I view Seth MacFarlane. He just makes random jokes, by making random pop-culture references and idioms. Like the show Family Guy, he does have his funny moments sometimes. The escapist do create a lot of good articles, but sometimes they copy-and-paste other website's work like Tommy Tallarico said.
#28 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

Interesting.  While I haven't watched the video (am at work so not really feasible), it sounds like he's doing to these sites exactly what he is accusing all these sites of doing to games.  But I'm not really a big fan of his.  Or his girlfriend or ex girlfriend or whatever she may be now.

#29 Posted by Th3_James (2575 posts) -

I only read the reviews on giantbomb to see what their point of view and take on a game. I don't buy games based on review scores, and I don't care to see what other people rate a certain game. Giantbomb is the only site about gaming I will go to, mainly because of the staff.

#30 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" Its easy to blame the games journalists but at the end of the day they're providing a service that is palatable to their subscribers. So maybe instead of whining about games journalism providing something that people want you should ask yourself why this is something society craves in all forms of journalism. "
I agree.
#31 Posted by niamahai (1402 posts) -
@Godites said:
" @fullmetal5550 said:
I would like the escapist A LOT more if they kicked out Yahtzee. Yup, you heard that right. I never found him funny. I don't think he's a bad reviewer, but I view him the same way I view Seth MacFarlane. He just makes random jokes, by making random pop-culture references and idioms. Like the show Family Guy, he does have his funny moments sometimes. The escapist do create a lot of good articles, but sometimes they copy-and-paste other website's work like Tommy Tallarico said. "
The saddest thing, a lot of people regard Yahtzee's 'review' as FACT, and everything Kotaku post as 'BREAKING NEWS".
#32 Posted by phantomzxro (1532 posts) -

I would say Destructoid is pretty bad only on the fact of Jim Sterling. A person who just gives scores on how he feels and does not really tries to judge the raw parts of a game that really don't need opinions to get in the way. I think most known sites are ok if you take them with a grin of salt, you have to get to know the inter working of the site abit to judge how on the money they are when it comes to journalism. 

#33 Posted by Godites (105 posts) -
@niamahai said:
" @Godites said:
" @fullmetal5550 said:
I would like the escapist A LOT more if they kicked out Yahtzee. Yup, you heard that right. I never found him funny. I don't think he's a bad reviewer, but I view him the same way I view Seth MacFarlane. He just makes random jokes, by making random pop-culture references and idioms. Like the show Family Guy, he does have his funny moments sometimes. The escapist do create a lot of good articles, but sometimes they copy-and-paste other website's work like Tommy Tallarico said. "
The saddest thing, a lot of people regard Yahtzee's 'review' as FACT, and everything Kotaku post as 'BREAKING NEWS". "
Go to the escapistmagazine forum, and see how many elitists douche bags infest the site. You can't have an opinion, that's different from their views on the site without being attacked. It's crazy, as if there were some unwritten law for what is supposed to be respected and what's supposed to be hated. They're also very whiny when it comes to video games. I'm a picky and critical guy when it comes to video games, but these guys make Yahtzee look like the happiest gamer around. I'm serious, they say some of the dumbest shit regarding video games and seem to be not happy with video games at all. It's like they expect every game to be the reincarnation of Mona Lisa and give them free blowjobs.  

As for Kotaku, I gave up on them a LONG time ago. They do nothing but spread one snarky rumor after another. They're not anymore honest or less bias that any other game journalistic website. They just seem that way, in order to gain more attention with their "edgy" attitude. They shouldn't be taken seriously at all. They ARE the National Enquirer when it comes to game journalism. Hell, not even Joystiq is that bad. 

Onto Yahtzee (Again), it's sad how many mindless followers he gains. It's funny how Yahtzee always pokes fun at fanboys and his fanbase detests fanboys, when Yahtzee has a legion of rabid fanboys who would go to far lengths to shut down any criticism anyone else has for the guy. It's so ironic that it burns. You see, I don't despise Yahtzee, I'm not a hater, but I think there's a lot of improving for this videos. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.