Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk: RIDE

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

The tenth game in the Tony Hawk series, RIDE featured the use of a newly conceived skateboard peripheral in an attempt, by Activision, to reboot the series.

How Tony Hawk Rode Off My Radar

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

Edited By kariyanine
    Back in the early days of the Playstation 2 I jumped on the extreme sports bandwagon for a short bit, I had Tony Hawk 3 (and 4), SSX, some BMX game that promised me boobs but was really just lame instead. My fascination with extreme sports was short lived though and I haven't much paid attention to the genre in recent years. Then along came Tony Hawk: Ride and suddenly my interested was piqued, not exactly to the point where I was going to jump without a parachute back into the world of extreme sports video games but enough that I was keeping it on my radar. I mean at the very least the concept sounded cool and that was something to keep an eye on.

As I said in a recent blog post by JustSomeDude, entitled Tony Hawk goes casual to stay relevant, I said that if the game actually turned out to be fun I would possibly give it a shot. Of course all this relied completely on if Activision priced it in a price range I was willing to go to. Today 1UP is reporting that GameStop has priced Tony Hawk Ride at a staggering $120. Suddenly Tony Hawk: Ride, which was a small blip to begin with, is completely off my radar.

I don't know about you but for me that is about $40 too much. Some of you are probably scratching your heads right now going, "But Chris, didn't you spend $170 on Rock Band and $180 on Guitar Hero: World Tour?" I did but at that point I knew what I was getting out of the package. I knew I liked the basic, underlying gameplay of both Rock Band and Guitar Hero and come this fall, I won't be buying the bundles for their associated expansions. What I don't know about Tony Hawk: Ride is if it is any fun and at $120 I am much less inclined to try it out, especially with the influx of other games coming out this fall.

Am I going to forgo a pair of potentially better games in favor of one game with a ridiculously overpriced skateboard peripheral? I don't think so, and while I can't say for certain that it will stay this way, as of right now Tony Hawk: Ride won't be getting any more attention from me.
    kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kariyanine
    Back in the early days of the Playstation 2 I jumped on the extreme sports bandwagon for a short bit, I had Tony Hawk 3 (and 4), SSX, some BMX game that promised me boobs but was really just lame instead. My fascination with extreme sports was short lived though and I haven't much paid attention to the genre in recent years. Then along came Tony Hawk: Ride and suddenly my interested was piqued, not exactly to the point where I was going to jump without a parachute back into the world of extreme sports video games but enough that I was keeping it on my radar. I mean at the very least the concept sounded cool and that was something to keep an eye on.

As I said in a recent blog post by JustSomeDude, entitled Tony Hawk goes casual to stay relevant, I said that if the game actually turned out to be fun I would possibly give it a shot. Of course all this relied completely on if Activision priced it in a price range I was willing to go to. Today 1UP is reporting that GameStop has priced Tony Hawk Ride at a staggering $120. Suddenly Tony Hawk: Ride, which was a small blip to begin with, is completely off my radar.

I don't know about you but for me that is about $40 too much. Some of you are probably scratching your heads right now going, "But Chris, didn't you spend $170 on Rock Band and $180 on Guitar Hero: World Tour?" I did but at that point I knew what I was getting out of the package. I knew I liked the basic, underlying gameplay of both Rock Band and Guitar Hero and come this fall, I won't be buying the bundles for their associated expansions. What I don't know about Tony Hawk: Ride is if it is any fun and at $120 I am much less inclined to try it out, especially with the influx of other games coming out this fall.

Am I going to forgo a pair of potentially better games in favor of one game with a ridiculously overpriced skateboard peripheral? I don't think so, and while I can't say for certain that it will stay this way, as of right now Tony Hawk: Ride won't be getting any more attention from me.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

$120? The series is now dead to me.
    Well, at least we got one last good game with Tony Hawk's Project 8 before the series met its doom. I suppose Activision is the company to blame here, though. They milked the series as long as they could, and now have set their sights on milking Guitar Hero instead. I still don't have much interest in this new game and can't imagine it working out so well. Afterall, look at Wii's Skate It which used the Wii Balance Board. It ended up not working out so hot. I can't imagine this new Tony Hawk being any better. Regardless, I'd still like to see it in action before completely condemning it, though I don't expect I'll ever be on board with this one. On board. Ah-hahaha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.