Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk: RIDE

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

The tenth game in the Tony Hawk series, RIDE featured the use of a newly conceived skateboard peripheral in an attempt, by Activision, to reboot the series.

How Will Activision Spin The "Success" of RIDE?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

We all know Activision won't let RIDE be the joke of the year, so what do you expect them to do with the NPDs?  

Maybe claim the booming success of MW2 helped drive sales of RIDE?

I for one can't wait for the damage control from them in the coming weeks.  

Happy Thanksgiving bitches.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Alex_V

Don't understand. Are you saying that Ride will or won't sell well? How do you know?

Avatar image for deactivated-586642a039045
    deactivated-586642a039045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Its clear that Activision know full well that they have published a piece of crap.  They didn't send out any copies of the game for review, instead choosing to hold a so-called review event (see: "stage-managed propaganda"), and review websites & magazines are having to shelve out $120 just so they can review it.  Of course the reason for this is blindingly obvious...it gives Activision time to rob as many people of their hard-earned money before word spreads afar that its a piece of junk, they might as well have taken their $120 and given it to a bank that needs bailed out.

Robitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Robitt

Well there is a slight possibility that they will just not mention it.. Just ignore it. As they did before release. Just pretend it didnt happen. 

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By nanikore
    @Robitt: Yeah, that seems pretty plausible. I haven't played it, but it looks awful.
    Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By Neon941

It's not been a title they've really promoted, they only have themselves to blame if it sells poorly. I'm sure when questioned about it's sales they'd just say something along the lines of "well it was a title that we chose not to promote very much and it's sold as expected". 
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EvilTwin

Isn't it usually the first-parties who spin NPD numbers?  Third-parties like to let people know how well their games are doing as soon as possible (e.g. Activision telling us how many millions of copies of MW2 were sold in 24 hours).

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

They won't talk about it, like they've already been doing.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JokerClown88

But it was on the E3 Main Stage.  How could it suck???  *reads Tony Hawk in the Title*  Ooooooohhhh.  Never mind...
    TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By TheAdmin
    @JokerClown88 said:
    " But it was on the E3 Main Stage.  How could it suck???  *reads Tony Hawk in the Title*  Ooooooohhhh.  Never mind... "
    I don't think it has anything to do with Tony. He probably comes in at the end to record some dialog. The developers are to blame if it isn't a quality product.
    JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JokerClown88
    @99X said:
    " @JokerClown88 said:
    " But it was on the E3 Main Stage.  How could it suck???  *reads Tony Hawk in the Title*  Ooooooohhhh.  Never mind... "
    I don't think it has anything to do with Tony. He probably comes in at the end to record some dialog. The developers are to blame if it isn't a quality product. "

Thats what I said.  The Tony Hawk Franchies has sucked since Tony Hawk 3.  Every game after 2 has been either a turd sandwich or a giant douche.  Seeing the name in the title of the game is enough to make me stay away.
    Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Bwast
    @JokerClown88 said:
    How DARE you. The first 3 Tony Hawk games(arguably 4) are AMAZING. I spent hours upon hours with those suckers in my junior high days. I will not let you besmirch a game's legacy like that. Pistols at dawn!
    JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JokerClown88
    @Bwast:
    I direct you to the post directly above yours.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By JonathanMoore
    @JokerClown88 said:
    " @99X said:
    " @JokerClown88 said:
    I don't think it has anything to do with Tony. He probably comes in at the end to record some dialog. The developers are to blame if it isn't a quality product. "
    Thats what I said.  The Tony Hawk Franchies has sucked since Tony Hawk 3.  Every game after 2 has been either a turd sandwich or a giant douche.  Seeing the name in the title of the game is enough to make me stay away. "
    Eh, Tony Hawk 4 wasn't horrible. But yeah the franchise has sucked for a long time now.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

Ignore it!

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Edin899

Im the best at streetfighter 4 !
    AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By AvD
    @JonathanMoore said:
    " @JokerClown88 said:
    " @99X said:
    " @JokerClown88 said:
    Thats what I said.  The Tony Hawk Franchies has sucked since Tony Hawk 3.  Every game after 2 has been either a turd sandwich or a giant douche.  Seeing the name in the title of the game is enough to make me stay away. "
    Eh, Tony Hawk 4 wasn't horrible. But yeah the franchise has sucked for a long time now. "
    I enjoyed 4, as well as the THUGS, although I felt it was going downhill at that point.  Honestly, and you guys might rip me apart but... I thought Project 8 was really good.  I really felt like the franchise might have made a comeback after that.  Than Proving Ground ended up being awful.  And now this... this abomination.  Just let the franchise die already.
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By spacetrucking

Dude, the Tony Hawk name carried so much value. It was one of the few games to get a perfect 10 at Gamespot. I love the fact that Jeff was the one who reviewed very single Tony Hawk game back at GS. But at the same time, its also sad in a way that he has become so disinterested in the franchise now.  I think Activision is going to give it one more try since they have already invested in the controller. If the 2nd attempt bombs as well, then they will let it die.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By skrutop

Tony Hawk(TM): RIDE(R) Is The #1 Selling Peripheral-based Tony Hawk Game of November!

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Nov 17, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- Activision Publishing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) is proud to announce that Tony Hawk: RIDE, the ground-breaking new entry in the popular action sports franchise, is the #1 selling peripheral-based extreme skateboarding sports action simulator featuring Tony Hawk for November.  According to NPD, Tony Hawk: RIDE has outsold all other peripheral-based extreme skateboarding sports action simulators featuring Tony Hawk combined, with sales literally in the tens of copies sold!

Featuring a revolutionary skateboard controller, players of varied skill levels can sort of, almost, possibly physically control the action by stepping on board to perform movements and gestures that could potentially directly translate into amazing tricks in the game; from grinds, grabs and ollies to Tony Hawk's signature tricks.  Or they might just nosegrind a lot.  Who knows?

"Tony Hawk: RIDE is the ish!" stated Activision Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick, who almost landed a 900 once in the hollowed out pool in his backyard.  "This is the game I've always wanted to make," said legendary pro skater Tony Hawk, reading materials prepared for him by Activision Publishing. "The skateboard peripheral sort of looks like a real skateboard without wheels.  That's pretty cool, I guess.  I wonder if it floats?" (note: it does not.  Activision Blizzard takes no responsibility for RIDE controllers broken due to immersion in water.)

Tony Hawk: RIDE takes the popular action sports video game franchise in an all-new direction.  Like, off of a cliff, for instance. The wireless skateboard controller was designed in conjunction with Satan to offer a dynamic gaming experience built from the ground up.  It can also be used as a sled.  The innovative motion sensing peripheral offers a completely new way to play games. Without complex button combinations or analog sticks, gamers of various skill levels can literally step on the board and play equally poorly.  Veteran video game journalist Jeff Gerstmann had this to say: "With hardware that's unable to provide that level of consistency from session to session, Tony Hawk: RIDE is already a total failure."

Tony Hawk: RIDE is developed by Robomodo for the Xbox 360(R) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION(R)3 computer entertainment system. Buzz Monkey developed the Wii(TM) system version. The game is rated E10+ by the ESRB. For more information, fans can visit www.THRide.com, www.Facebook.com/TonyHawkRIDE and www.Twitter.com/THRIDE.

For all video assets, visit the Activision Broadcast Media Center - http://www.usngondemand.com/index.php.

About Tony Hawk, Inc.

Tony Hawk, Inc. is a world leader in its field with the unprecedented ability to bring alternative sports and their unique lifestyle to the masses while maintaining an indispensable edge of authenticity with the market's hard-core, trendsetting audience. Founded by Tony Hawk in 1998 and based in Vista, CA, the company is organized into five segments: Merchandising, Events, Endorsements, Film and Digital Media. These lifestyle sports include skateboarding, BMX, Motocross, surfing and snowboarding. Consumer goods bearing the Tony Hawk brand have dominated several markets, including interactive games, skateboard hard goods, lifestyle apparel, toys, publications and more.

About Robomodo

Based in Chicago, IL, Robomodo is a video game development studio focused on producing top-tier products on current and next generation console platforms. Robomodo's team has a strong track record for marrying solid game design with an innovative artistic style, as well as harnessing the power of current and next-gen consoles. The core Robomodo team has proven its abilities in the Mortal Kombat, NBA Street and Fight Night franchises. The company's first game for Activision Publishing, Inc. is Tony Hawk: RIDE, which will be released in 2009 simultaneously on the Xbox 360(R) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION(R)3 computer entertainment system and Wii(TM) system.

About Activision Publishing, Inc.

Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Activision Publishing, Inc. is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment and leisure products.

Activision Publishing maintains operations in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia, Russia, Japan, South Korea, China and the region of Taiwan. More information about Activision and its products can be found on the company's website, www.activision.com.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By maxszy

They just wont talk about it. Pretend it doesn't really even exist. Lack of acknowledgment is better than trying to spin good out of something that really in no way can be spun.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cstrang
    @Stormhead said:
    " Its clear that Activision know full well that they have published a piece of crap.  They didn't send out any copies of the game for review, instead choosing to hold a so-called review event (see: "stage-managed propaganda"), and review websites & magazines are having to shelve out $120 just so they can review it.  "
    This.  Activison has swept this game under the rug as best they can.  They know they made a stinker.  I don't think they'll be any spin by them, I think they'll just fail to acknowledge its existence.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Godwind
    @Alex_V said:
    " Don't understand. Are you saying that Ride will or won't sell well? How do you know? "
    Who cares.  It is a KaosAngel thread.

Happy Thanksgiving Bitches.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KaosAngel
    @skrutop: If that is a real PR announcement, I will kiss Godwind.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Willy105

@skrutop: Good grief, man. That's amazing!

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrSnow

Does anyone here have this game

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @MrSnow said:
    " Does anyone here have this game "
    I doubt it, I don't. However, judging by the general consensus and most videos as well as the price point, it is safe to say that this is not a quality product. 

Activision may claim to say that it is the best "peripheral-based skateboarding" game of all time in terms of sales, a few people will clap and then realize that there really has never been another.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#27  Edited By Soap
    @MrSnow said:
    " Does anyone here have this game "
    Noooooooope, and infact all I've seen of it is that stupid viral video they put out a dog playing it... which doesn't really do it any favours. I showed it to some friends and there responses were essentially "So, why exactly would I want to play a skating game that is so easy a dog can apparently do it?"
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By grilledcheez
    @skrutop: If that is your original work, that is amazing and you should write fake pr statements for a living.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29  Edited By Cerza

They seem to be touting RIDE'S success like any other since they are already talking sequel. I bet Jeff just can't wait.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By skrutop
    @GrilledCheez01 said:
    " @skrutop: If that is your original work, that is amazing and you should write fake pr statements for a living. "
    I used their press release announcing RIDE coming out...then took a swing at it.
    stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By stokes

@skrutop

That was too hilarious.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#32  Edited By sarahsdad
    @MrSnow: names hidden for their protection, but not if you clicky-click on the picture  
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First rule of Tony Hawk: RIDE:  You don't talk about Tony Hawk: RIDE...

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By Dalai

At least DJ Hero did we... oh right.

BioEradication

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BioEradication

They could possibly comment on the soundtrack. That looked pretty good to me. That is the only redeeming thing to the game. 

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @BioEradication said:
    " They could possibly comment on the soundtrack. That looked pretty good to me. That is the only redeeming thing to the game.  "
    This awesome music collection can be yours for only $120! 

Oh, by the way, you have to play our poorly designed game while you listen to it. Have fun! =D
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By skrutop
    @Bigandtasty said:
    " @BioEradication said:
    " They could possibly comment on the soundtrack. That looked pretty good to me. That is the only redeeming thing to the game.  "
    This awesome music collection can be yours for only $120!   Oh, by the way, you have to play our poorly designed game while you listen to it. Have fun! =D "
    Yeah, when the soundtrack is a selling feature of a skateboarding game, you know you're in trouble.
    Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By Vance_Helsing
    @skrutop: 

First off, your faux press release made me laugh out loud...during my writing class. (Not your fault).

Second, I honestly think that Activision will not admit defeat, at least not yet. I think they're going to do this with RIDE & DJ Hero- even if the first game didn't sell too hot, they're gonna churn out another one, try maybe promoting it again, and seeing if it stays afloat. If not, fuck it. They can afford to make 60 more Tony Hawk games and have them bomb as long as they make a Modern Warfare every 2 years.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Yukoei

Remastered Tonky Hawk PS1 series would make me cash out 120$ for this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.