3,000 copies in its first week?

• 80 results
#1 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

According to retail anaylyst Cowen and Company, Tony Hawk: SHRED sold 3,000 copies in its first week. Ouch. Those numbers would be abysmal for a crappy XBLA game. Is this the end of the Tony Hawk fanchise, or do you think they'll wait a few years, pretend the peripheral never existed, and start from scratch?
source: 1UP

#2 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

I was done with skateboarding games about 5 years ago.  Skate is the only decent series, but im sure when they are on their 40 iteration and you are using your mind to do grabs then Skate will be shitty too.

#3 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

wtf is tony hawk Shred?

#4 Posted by stinky (1551 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm said:
" wtf is tony hawk Shred? "
yeah, it seems like this topic is entire marketing campaign for it. 
#5 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Oh right, that was supposed to be a thing.

Oh right, that thing came out.

#6 Edited by PenguinDust (12601 posts) -
@stinky:  No, there's a pretty entertaining commercial on air where I guy "shreds" with his entire house.  But, TH peaked with #3 ages ago and it's been (excuse the pun) all downhill since.   The peripheral being broken-out-of-the-box doesn't help the franchise any.  If they want to fix the franchise, in my opinion, they need to go back to the basics in one sense and make it less about skateboarding if that makes any sense.  Maybe something like InFamous but the way you get around is by skateboarding, however that's not the focus of the story. 

#7 Edited by XenoNick (1480 posts) -

3,000 people are stupid.

EDIT: That cop looked very calm considering a HOUSE overtook him. Must be a freaky neighborhood.

#8 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -
@XenoNick said:
" 3,000 people are stupid. "
There would have been way more stupid people than that, they just didn't know this thing was coming out.
#9 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -

that is tony hawk Shread

#10 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

I actually saw an older woman buying one of those things at Target a few weeks ago. That poor kid.

#11 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I just checked and Giant Bomb is tracking a whopping 3 users with this game on the 360. Now, achievement data is still a little sketchy after the xbox.com redesign, but I don't doubt it's close to that number. I remember when TH:R came out the number was in the double digits for a long, long time. The number of 360 players is only listed as 132 right now.

#12 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I walked past a stack of these at Zellers or something and I honestly had no idea this even existed. Considering how much time I spend on gaming forums and websites, something is wrong if I've never heard of a game that comes with a peripheral like this.

#13 Posted by BeachThunder (12295 posts) -

D: I think Tony Hawks should just go back to skateboarding...this is tarnishing my precious memories of the original THPS games.

#14 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Ventilaator said:
" Oh right, that was supposed to be a thing.  Oh right, that thing came out. "
@louiedog said:
" According to retail anaylyst Cowen and Company, Tony Hawk: SHRED sold 3,000 copies in its first week. Ouch. Those numbers would be abysmal for a crappy XBLA game. Is this the end of the Tony Hawk fanchise, or do you think they'll wait a few years, pretend the peripheral never existed, and start from scratch?
source: 1UP "
So confusing..
#15 Posted by Pink_o_mat (206 posts) -

What will be the next annual franchise to bite the dust? My money's on Whatever Hero!

#16 Posted by natetodamax (19217 posts) -

It's out? People bought it?

#17 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

I forgot this game even existed. 

#18 Posted by pickassoreborn (532 posts) -

Nice concept in that advert wasted on a totally poop product.

#19 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -

That's pretty fucking bad.

#20 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

Hmm... skateboarding games haven't been truly popular in I don't know how long. 3,000 copies is utterly terrible though, and I can see people picking the game up in the future from bargain bins at this rate. It's a sad end for a franchise that I remember from the Playstation 1 for its awesome soundtracks. 

#21 Posted by TheMaxMeister (78 posts) -

I used to love the Tony Hawk games. Yes, even project 8. I don't know, I'm just not into Skate.

This whole peripheral thing however, I can't stand.

#22 Posted by Dalai (7057 posts) -

I guess that means Tony Hawk is finished for a while. I don't see how another game can come out next year after this.

#23 Posted by KingPossum (236 posts) -

They had to crap out another game to justify their lame peripheral and this is what Activision gets. 

I wonder how Kotick is going to react to this one, seeing as Bizzare Creations are going through their issues for underperforming.

#24 Edited by Godot (209 posts) -

I hadn't even heard of this game until someone mentioned it on Jeff's VYou. They've done a pretty poor job marketing it.

Oh look at that, the only review for all of the bundles on Amazon (Amazon.com that is; no-one's reviewed it on Amazon.co.uk) is from a piss-poor Activision plant.

#25 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -

I never actively want anything to fail, but somehow this makes me happy.

#26 Posted by septim (774 posts) -

Now Activision will probably fire the poor guys forced to make this shit, and give the marketeer who focus tested this game into existence another raise.

#27 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

I was done with tony hawk around the time it went to PS2.

#28 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

Awesome brah! Shred is wicked cool! Excuse me while I go hang myself in my basement dude! Wooo!
#29 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I didn't even know there was one coming out this year. 

#30 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Wait *snicker* let me get this straight. HAhaha... Activision would rather get rid of Bizarre Creations instead of the development team behind Tony Hawk???

#31 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Considering I just now heard that this game existed, that seems about right.

#32 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11449 posts) -

Not surprised. Last year's was terrible, and there has been ZERO promotion for this game.  

I'd say that there should be a Quick Look, but I'm pretty sure it'll be exactly the same as last year's. 

#33 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

What the hell is Tony Hawk Shred and that sucks pretty hard.

#34 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@Pink_o_mat said:
" What will be the next annual franchise to bite the dust? My money's on Whatever Hero! "
That happened already
#35 Posted by MikkaQ (10331 posts) -

I was thinking they'd do a quickie Kinect game for launch, that'd boost SOME interest, but they stick with their shitty peripheral, no wonder they didn't sell anything. 

#36 Posted by Bucketdeth (8044 posts) -

So this could become a rare product, EVERYONE GO BUY ONE.

#37 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1596 posts) -

If Activision wasn't Activision, this might send a clear message to them that this whole dumbass board peripheral thing ain't working and that it's time to try something a little more conventional. It's a shame that this will probably just end up leading to an all-too typical response by Activision of ending all production of any future Tony Hawk games permanently. I guess that it's been a long time coming but as someone who still remembers the good'ol days of Tony Hawk 2-4, it makes me sad the series probably won't have a chance to come back. Le sigh.

#38 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

Given the nonexistent marketing push and the fact that a lot of people didn't even realize that the game was out, much less that it existed, you can really tell that Activision is really putting their all into getting the word out on how awesome Shred is.  It's so hardcore, only the snobbiest of hardcore gamers would even dare bask in its magnificence.

#39 Edited by Skald (4369 posts) -
@PenguinDust: The board wasn't only busted, it was pricy, and overtly gimmicky to boot. 

Also, I feel pretty bad for the people at Robomodo. Most of them were laid off, and all of them have to put with the fact that they made this game.
#40 Edited by Marz (5666 posts) -

They should have made some Kinect version instead, nobody wants to pay 100$ for a skateboard accessory.

#41 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -
@Marz said:
" They should have made some Kinect version instead, nobody wants to pay 100$ for a skateboard accessory. "
Right, because based on how amazing games like Sonic Free Riders are, Kinect support would have made a crap skateboarding game that was already terrible with the use of a physical controller suddenly awesome.
#42 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

They should have crammed some Stride product placement in there. They might have broken even that way.

#43 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -
@Rayfield said:
"
Awesome brah! Shred is wicked cool! Excuse me while I go hang myself in my basement dude! Wooo!
"
why? he's still fucking rich
#44 Edited by Marz (5666 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

" @Marz said:

" They should have made some Kinect version instead, nobody wants to pay 100$ for a skateboard accessory. "
Right, because based on how amazing games like Sonic Free Riders are, Kinect support would have made a crap skateboarding game that was already terrible with the use of a physical controller suddenly awesome. "
no, but it'd be environmentally friendly when people don't have to throw the skateboard accessory in the trash.
#45 Posted by Hector (3375 posts) -

I'm surprised 3,000 people bought it.

#46 Posted by awesomeusername (4230 posts) -
@Pink_o_mat said:
" What will be the next annual franchise to bite the dust? My money's on Whatever Hero! "
Yeah, I read the latest Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock Sold hardly 100,000. Activision is living off of CoD.
#47 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

I honestly didn't know this was a thing... Huh.

#48 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -
@awesomeusername said:
" @Pink_o_mat said:
Yeah, I read the latest Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock Sold hardly 100,000. Activision is living off of CoD. "
And everything made by Blizzard. Starcraft II has probably sold pretty well, and World of Warcraft continues to be completely unstoppable. 

But yeah, the Activision part of Activision Blizzard is making most of its money on Call of Duty. There are other games, mind you, but they don't sell half as well and they aren't annualized either.
#49 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

Wow, i didn't know this was out. I don't think anyone did. Hell, I was at a store today and didn't see it anywhere.

#50 Posted by Kyelb22 (299 posts) -

They made a sequel to Ride? I thought that game did poorly enough that Activision would finally let this franchise die (Oh, wait. I forgot Activision's business plan is to make as many sequels as possible until they close to developers because the game didn't sell.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.