Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk

Franchise »

Professional skater Tony Hawk has teamed up with Activision for many years to deliver some of the greatest skateboarding games ever made, along with some incredibly average annualized installments.

New Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game is in development

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/20/tony-hawk-we-are-working-on-a-new-game#

So a new Tony Hawk game is in development. Little is known about it yet, but I hope Activision is gonna go back to the roots of the franchise. I think it's time to "reboot" the franchise, take out all the bullshit that made the later games in the franchise straight up bad (they'll never try to sell that skateboard controller again at least!).

Even though I, like everyone else, got tired of the franchise after Activision milked it dry, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is still easily on my top 5 favourite games of all time. So here's hoping!

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wait..... I've heard this before. To me Tony Hawk 3 is the greatest game of all time, I was so excited for Tony Hawk HD but it just turned out to be a turd.

If they do it right with the sort of madness of Tony Hawk 3 with the 2:00 time limit again and the move set from Tony Hawk 4 (which I think was the last one before the extra moves became a hinderence) we could have something special. I have very low hopes though.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

It's been long enough that I could see it actually being good. Of course with the track record you absolutely have to wait for reviews. That second game that uses the peripheral was apparently good, so I can see the THPS HD guys making a good game on their second try as well.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

THPS HD wasn't horrible but it also didn't feel like a pro skater game either. That is what they didn't nail was just the "feel" of the characters. Its hard to really describe but the ones in THPS HD felt "stiff"

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

10 MORE YEARS, 10 MORE YEARS!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I really loved the first two Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games.

That said, the franchise has about 0 credibility with me in 2014. But man, those first two games were something. They date that era for me.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That said, the franchise has about 0 credibility with me in 2014. But man, those first two games were something. They date that era for me.

You didn't like Tony Hawk 3? That's the best one, man! Just ask Jeff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@brodehouse said:

It was fine and it's probably the smoothest playing, but I was kind of put off by the escalation of the absurdities in it. It had its moments before (grinding a helicopter!) but that was the game where I felt it took a hard left into crazy town. My favorite levels were School 2 and city areas. Skating around an empty warehouse, an empty hangar, cool. Skating around an active foundry? In hindsight I guess the maps were really important; my best memories are not of skaters or tricks, but certain areas on the maps.

The Skate games had me interested, but I found how they control to be no fun at all.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

THPS HD wasn't horrible but it also didn't feel like a pro skater game either. That is what they didn't nail was just the "feel" of the characters. Its hard to really describe but the ones in THPS HD felt "stiff"

Another problem with THPS HD is that the course selection had some clunkers. Tony Hawk may be the only human on Earth that actually wanted Downhill Jam in the game.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Activision isn't just sitting on the license until it expires. They're wringing blood from stones at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YAAAAAAY! THPS4 was pretty much one of my favourite games when I was younger. Hopefully they won't fuck it up like they've been doing for the past while

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would agree with you, if they actually included multiplayer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I would love to play next-gen Tony Hawk game. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where they could really go with the setting anymore. It'd be pretty awesome if they could connect a mini-model of Dragon Age's type of setting. Just have a bunch of amazing trees, and mountains setting that connects over to Philly and L.A. You could skate over giant dragons and teleport over griffons in the sky. Huge rails skate over dragon skeletons..

Cuz really, if all they do is Airport III, or some shit. That shit better be the best damn remake Airport level remake ever. Real world settings would really have to be just epic, enough to have people not care that its the same type of game again. No create a trick, no level creator, maybe get off the board I guess. Next-gen only.

Neversoft isn't gonna do it, huh?..

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wonder how many people there are like me who loved THPS 4 a little more than 3. I mean 3 is fucking great, but I think the removal of the timer was a great addition and I loved the larger maps. They weren't quite as good as the maps in 3, but they were still a lot of fun to explore. Also spine transfers and flattening out in midair allowed for some pretty ridiculously endless combos. and recovery from stupid mistakes.

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By TheFakePsychic

I liked playing Big Head Survival in THPSHD and then scaring the everliving daylights out of one of my friends by going backwards through Mall with my 80-something percent head.

Also the only games in the Tony Hawk series I have actually played were the PSP version of Project 8 and HD, and I thought both of them were pretty okay, so I'm sure my opinion means nothing here. But I guess I would be down for trying another Tony Hawk whatever.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@mikkaq: I really really enjoyed 4. For a long time I considered it better than 3. Eventually, going back and playing them both I think 3 is the better game. Unfortunately THPS4 is the only game I've ever owned that had the disc become no longer readable. And then they both got stolen.

Basically I think Airport and Los Angeles are the best levels in the series and the timer forces you into picking a goal ahead of time and planning a perfect run. The larger levels and lack of time restrictions resulted in runs that weren't nearly as epic because they were planned on the fly and had less pressure.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do people even skateboard anymore?

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
    TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THUG 3: The return of Eric Sparrow

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

THUG was awesome. The skateboard controller wasn't that bad, you just have to be drunk with friends to enjoy it

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

When skateboarding games are done right they're the most fun video games that money can buy.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

AWESOME, I am ready

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

I was in love with this series up until the Underground games at which point I felt like they starting losing it. I even at one point almost had the world record on Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3, which is just how much I played that game. I thought I would have been totally in love with the HD game, which I ended up not being. That game felt totally off and was a huge letdown for me.

I would love it if they could capture the FEEL of the old games in a new game. All they have to do is make it play the same and I would be totally down for whatever else they throw in to it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

loved ye old tony hawk and really liked skate but I feel the sun has set for me on this genre.

ehhh but that's probably just my feelings. I'm sure if I actually played a sweet skateboarder it'd be fun.

no Vita so haven't tried Ollie Ollie but everyone says it is the new Hawkx.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I would totally play a new Tony Hawk game.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss

@brodehouse said:

@amyggen said:

@brodehouse said:

It was fine and it's probably the smoothest playing, but I was kind of put off by the escalation of the absurdities in it. It had its moments before (grinding a helicopter!) but that was the game where I felt it took a hard left into crazy town. My favorite levels were School 2 and city areas. Skating around an empty warehouse, an empty hangar, cool. Skating around an active foundry? In hindsight I guess the maps were really important; my best memories are not of skaters or tricks, but certain areas on the maps.

The Skate games had me interested, but I found how they control to be no fun at all.

In my circles there's a pretty solid trend. People either played tons of 1 and 2 and consider 2 the best or they played tons of 2 and 3 and consider 3 the best. I think 1,2 or 3 could be fairly argued into any G.O.A.T. argument.

Little faith, high hopes. I'm not convinced we're going to see any meaningful innovation or iteration to how they control, and I feel like that was a big part of what made these games (Tony Hawk, 1080, Wave Race, etc.) so incredible.

futurstock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

its probably just for people who played the old games based on this thread, that is who seems excited about this.
    i recently played tony hawk hd, which was pretty garbage but it hit some nostalgia spots.
    i would play another good tony hawk

mightymaraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i used to love the old tony hawk games, i totally forgot about them! this would be a lot of fun

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wjb

It's been 10 years since it was last popular. It's due for its 4th comeback.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@bigjeffrey: That Tony Hawk game on the N-Gage was surprisingly good, but oh boy.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ottoman673

I still pop THPS2X into the 360 every now and then and fuck around at school 2. One of my favorite games growing up and always good to go back to, shame the new game is only going to be on mobile, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite Tony Hawk game was definitely THUG, I got it for the gamecube and I was INSANELY good at it. At the time I could get a 4 million point combo easily, and man I just loved skating around and messing things up in that game. Not to mention you could create your own parks that resemble the older games... Man that game was great.

Well shit.

Edit: And yes, that Tony Hawk HD game was garbage. What a waste of money.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goddamnit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You had one chance, Activision. One fucking chance

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

You had one chance, Activision. One fucking chance

Actually, how many chances have they given Tony Hawk? Because at this point any resurrection of that license is like reanimating a corpse.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They do, but it no longer automatically makes you "cool" anymore.

And thank god for that. I used to skate, but those kids in high school were complete assholes, and I didn't hang out with them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.