Which PS3 installment of Tony Hawk to get?

#1 Edited by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

I remember really enjoying some Tony Hawk games on the PC back in the day (I don't remember which specific game), and I thought since my girlfriend has got a PS3 now I might get her something like that. From memory, it seems like something she might enjoy (or quite possibly something we both might enjoy together). Fact is, I'm really disconnected with the franchise, so I'd like to hear from you guys first which PS3 installment of Tony Hawk's you think is the best, just to get a rough idea.

Edit: Oh yeah, in case it matters, online play is not really a consideration here.

#2 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I don't know much about the series either, but whatever you do, stay away from Ride and Shred.

#3 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Um....

Skate 3?

I didn't even know people played Tony Hawk ever since Skate came out

#4 Edited by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

It's not super great, but Tony Hawk Project 8, is decent.  It's at least better than American Wasteland, which is an abortion.  It doesn't do anything super well, but is just nostalgic enough to "kind of" pull it off.  Honestly, ANY of the Skate series is probably better.  It's harder/more realistic, but less focused on dumb shit that the Hawk series got tied up in.  Project 8 (PS3 version) doesn't have online play, but considering that your girlfriend has a PS3, that's not a huge issue anymore.

EDIT:  Scratch that, American Wasteland never came to the PS3.  So, you're stuck with Project 8, Ride, or Shred.  Between those  3, it's ZERO contest.  But, like I said, any of the Skate games are miles better.

Also, totally forgot about Proving Grounds.  That should tell you something about the declining quality of the Tony Hawk games.

#5 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -

Project 8 is a great Tony Hawk game. Do not, I repeat, Do not get Proving Grounds. That game is ridiculously broken.

#6 Edited by abdo (1037 posts) -

If I were you I'd just get Skate 2 or 3. The Tony Hawk games are not what they used to be.

Edit: So says Mr. Stewart
#7 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

Buy an old copy of Pro Skater 3 and play in TNT tonight, you'll end up with a better game anyway.

#8 Posted by Oddface (85 posts) -

You just have 2 real options here, and that's Project 8 and Proving Grounds. I enjoyed Project 8 more, but it might be just because I hadn't played Skate by then. Proving Grounds bored me almost instantly. Project 8 has a bit more charm to it, I think.

#9 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

get skate, tony hawk sucks since THPS3

#10 Posted by ESREVER (2681 posts) -

The last one I had a lot of fun with was Project 8. I haven't played anything else past that in the TH franchise.

Skate 2 or 3 offers a superior skateboarding experience. But Project 8 isn't bad.
#11 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -
@abdo said:
" If I were you I'd just get Skate 2 or 3. The Tony Hawk games are not what they used to be.

Edit: So says Mr. Stewart
"
Well done!

But yes, I'd say get Skate 3. If you really need a Tony Hawk game, then please take Project 8.
#12 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

Yeah, unfortunately the Tony Hawk games haven't been good since the PS1/PS2 era entries. Is it a backwards compatible PS3 by chance?

#13 Posted by AlisterCat (5522 posts) -

Project 8 is the best Tony Hawk game besides 3, so get that. Proving Ground cranked up the difficulty level and isn't as good either.

#14 Posted by lockon_one (93 posts) -

the tony hawk games for the ps2 are the best for me. i have a ps3 and a big fan of the old tony hawk games (thps/thug/thaw) but right now they sort of declined. or even disappeared. i also didnt like proving grounds, it was sad.

#15 Edited by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

The predominant opinion seems to be that Tony Hawk has declined in quality of late. I wasn't aware of that. I've never heard of Skate, but if it's that much better than Tony Hawk, I should probably go for that instead. Doesn't have to be Tony Hawk, I just happened to have good memories associated with that name.

@SuperfluousMoniker said:

" Yeah, unfortunately the Tony Hawk games haven't been good since the PS1/PS2 era entries. Is it a backwards compatible PS3 by chance? "

The guy at the store said some PS2 games may work on it, but of the four we've tested, the system didn't recognize one.

@EvilKatarn: @ESREVER: @Red12b: @abdo: @xaLieNxGrEyx:
I will look into the latest Skate game, but in the mean time, could anyone give me some idea of why they think Skate is better than TH?
#16 Posted by EVO (3890 posts) -

I like the Skate series as much as the next guy, but recommending it is like recommending Gran Turismo to a guy asking which Mario Kart to get.

#17 Edited by onimonkii (2432 posts) -

project 8 was the last one i enjoyed, 4 is still the best though.

the first skate is also good, i didn't enjoy 2 or 3 as much

skate is really different, there's less of a focus on mashing out billion point combos that are hundreds of tricks long, and more focus on the skill in more realistic skating. you turn with the left stick, push with square/x, and the right stick controls the board. it just feels really good and is a nice change of pace for how insane the later tony hawk games got.

#18 Posted by ESREVER (2681 posts) -
@BombKareshi: Skate is a bit more realistic. With the exception of hurling your skater to his doom to break as many bones as possible. Although, that is mad fun.
Creating your own lines and then landing the perfect combo feels really satisfying. And the stick controlled board is a really neat take on the genre.

If you're still unsure, you can check out the demo for Skate 3 or Skate 2. You know... when PSN comes back.
#19 Posted by Soap (3575 posts) -

The correct answer, is Skate 2, yeah there is a Skate 3 but trust me, Skate 2 is the far superior game and you'll find it cheaper

#20 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@ESREVER:
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, about PSN... I don't know if it's not supported in my country or if I just don't have the right equipment, but I haven't been able to access PSN (tried it with an Ethernet cable to my ADSL router). Also, internet speed is SLOW (like 40 kb/s) over here so download a demo has never been a practical option. Of course, this also means online play is not really a consideration for me. I probably should mention that in my opening post.
#21 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

Bust this baby out and get your Bucky Lasek on!
#22 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@onimonkii said:
" skate is really different, there's less of a focus on mashing out billion point combos that are hundreds of tricks long, and more focus on the skill in more realistic skating. "
That's an interesting point. I recall that stringing together ridiculously long combos was something I enjoyed about Tony Hawk. It was kind of addictive, almost like busting combos in Batman: Arkham Asylum.
#23 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@BombKareshi:

Dude get any of the skate games, miles better than the shit fest tony hawk is now. You won't regret the choice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.