Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk

Franchise »

Professional skater Tony Hawk has teamed up with Activision for many years to deliver some of the greatest skateboarding games ever made, along with some incredibly average annualized installments.

Which PS3 installment of Tony Hawk to get?

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BombKareshi

I remember really enjoying some Tony Hawk games on the PC back in the day (I don't remember which specific game), and I thought since my girlfriend has got a PS3 now I might get her something like that. From memory, it seems like something she might enjoy (or quite possibly something we both might enjoy together). Fact is, I'm really disconnected with the franchise, so I'd like to hear from you guys first which PS3 installment of Tony Hawk's you think is the best, just to get a rough idea.

Edit: Oh yeah, in case it matters, online play is not really a consideration here.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

I don't know much about the series either, but whatever you do, stay away from Ride and Shred.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Um....

Skate 3?

I didn't even know people played Tony Hawk ever since Skate came out

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By HumanityPlague

It's not super great, but Tony Hawk Project 8, is decent.  It's at least better than American Wasteland, which is an abortion.  It doesn't do anything super well, but is just nostalgic enough to "kind of" pull it off.  Honestly, ANY of the Skate series is probably better.  It's harder/more realistic, but less focused on dumb shit that the Hawk series got tied up in.  Project 8 (PS3 version) doesn't have online play, but considering that your girlfriend has a PS3, that's not a huge issue anymore.

EDIT:  Scratch that, American Wasteland never came to the PS3.  So, you're stuck with Project 8, Ride, or Shred.  Between those  3, it's ZERO contest.  But, like I said, any of the Skate games are miles better.

Also, totally forgot about Proving Grounds.  That should tell you something about the declining quality of the Tony Hawk games.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Project 8 is a great Tony Hawk game. Do not, I repeat, Do not get Proving Grounds. That game is ridiculously broken.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By abdo

If I were you I'd just get Skate 2 or 3. The Tony Hawk games are not what they used to be.

Edit: So says Mr. Stewart
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Buy an old copy of Pro Skater 3 and play in TNT tonight, you'll end up with a better game anyway.

oddface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oddface

You just have 2 real options here, and that's Project 8 and Proving Grounds. I enjoyed Project 8 more, but it might be just because I hadn't played Skate by then. Proving Grounds bored me almost instantly. Project 8 has a bit more charm to it, I think.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Red12b

get skate, tony hawk sucks since THPS3

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By ESREVER

The last one I had a lot of fun with was Project 8. I haven't played anything else past that in the TH franchise.

Skate 2 or 3 offers a superior skateboarding experience. But Project 8 isn't bad.
    EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By EvilKatarn
    @abdo said:
    " If I were you I'd just get Skate 2 or 3. The Tony Hawk games are not what they used to be.

Edit: So says Mr. Stewart
    "
    Well done!

But yes, I'd say get Skate 3. If you really need a Tony Hawk game, then please take Project 8.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah, unfortunately the Tony Hawk games haven't been good since the PS1/PS2 era entries. Is it a backwards compatible PS3 by chance?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#13  Edited By alistercat

Project 8 is the best Tony Hawk game besides 3, so get that. Proving Ground cranked up the difficulty level and isn't as good either.

lockon_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By lockon_one

the tony hawk games for the ps2 are the best for me. i have a ps3 and a big fan of the old tony hawk games (thps/thug/thaw) but right now they sort of declined. or even disappeared. i also didnt like proving grounds, it was sad.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BombKareshi

The predominant opinion seems to be that Tony Hawk has declined in quality of late. I wasn't aware of that. I've never heard of Skate, but if it's that much better than Tony Hawk, I should probably go for that instead. Doesn't have to be Tony Hawk, I just happened to have good memories associated with that name.

@SuperfluousMoniker said:

" Yeah, unfortunately the Tony Hawk games haven't been good since the PS1/PS2 era entries. Is it a backwards compatible PS3 by chance? "

The guy at the store said some PS2 games may work on it, but of the four we've tested, the system didn't recognize one.

@EvilKatarn:@ESREVER:@Red12b:@abdo:@xaLieNxGrEyx:
    I will look into the latest Skate game, but in the mean time, could anyone give me some idea of why they think Skate is better than TH?
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EVO

I like the Skate series as much as the next guy, but recommending it is like recommending Gran Turismo to a guy asking which Mario Kart to get.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By frankxiv

project 8 was the last one i enjoyed, 4 is still the best though.

the first skate is also good, i didn't enjoy 2 or 3 as much

skate is really different, there's less of a focus on mashing out billion point combos that are hundreds of tricks long, and more focus on the skill in more realistic skating. you turn with the left stick, push with square/x, and the right stick controls the board. it just feels really good and is a nice change of pace for how insane the later tony hawk games got.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By ESREVER
    @BombKareshi: Skate is a bit more realistic. With the exception of hurling your skater to his doom to break as many bones as possible. Although, that is mad fun.
    Creating your own lines and then landing the perfect combo feels really satisfying. And the stick controlled board is a really neat take on the genre.

If you're still unsure, you can check out the demo for Skate 3 or Skate 2. You know... when PSN comes back.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#19  Edited By Soap

The correct answer, is Skate 2, yeah there is a Skate 3 but trust me, Skate 2 is the far superior game and you'll find it cheaper

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BombKareshi
    @ESREVER:
    Thanks for the response.

Yeah, about PSN... I don't know if it's not supported in my country or if I just don't have the right equipment, but I haven't been able to access PSN (tried it with an Ethernet cable to my ADSL router). Also, internet speed is SLOW (like 40 kb/s) over here so download a demo has never been a practical option. Of course, this also means online play is not really a consideration for me. I probably should mention that in my opening post.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By PerryVandell

No Caption Provided
    Bust this baby out and get your Bucky Lasek on!
    BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BombKareshi
    @onimonkii said:
    " skate is really different, there's less of a focus on mashing out billion point combos that are hundreds of tricks long, and more focus on the skill in more realistic skating. "
    That's an interesting point. I recall that stringing together ridiculously long combos was something I enjoyed about Tony Hawk. It was kind of addictive, almost like busting combos in Batman: Arkham Asylum.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@BombKareshi:

Dude get any of the skate games, miles better than the shit fest tony hawk is now. You won't regret the choice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.