Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 20, 2000

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater returns with new levels, skaters, gameplay mechanics (including the introduction of the Manual), and the ability to create custom skaters and levels.

30 Days of Gaming : Day 13

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

Edited By aurahack

Apologies for the day-late update. D: Turns out that going to pick up my lady companion from work, go to the grocery store, come back, watch a documentary and then play GTA with my friend online takes up far more time than I thought it would because before I knew it, it was like, 2 AM.  

But with that said, we march on with today's update! :D 

No Caption Provided

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

Dude, back then, these graphics were the shit. 
    If you've ever visited the wiki page for THPS 2, you'd probably have guessed that this might of been a contender for the category. ... Granted, you wouldn't really need to guess all that much considering I put the cover art right there in the banner-- but that's besides the point. The point I'm trying to make is that I might of played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, as well as the first and other subsequent sequels, a lot. And by a lot, I mean to exhaustion.  

The Tony Hawk series is probably the biggest landmark of my childhood. It got me into playing videogames to completion, into getting a lot better at games (say what you will, but some of the challenges in that series are fucked) and into a lot of music that I normally wouldn't of been exposed to. It also got me into skateboarding, which had a pretty serious influence on me and more-than-helped craft the person I am today. The way I dress, the way I act, the way I don't do sports other than skateboarding and snowboarding... It sounds silly but... I owe a lot to the sport and even more-so to the game. 

I could of picked either 1, 3 or THUG since I've played all of those to death as well, but I picked 2 because that... that was it, man. Everything I wrote above, this is the game that made it all click. I don't remember when I got the game or how I got it-- it's like a dream, where all I can remember is being into it far after it began. Sitting in front of that shitty Mitsubishi TV we had the PS1 hooked up to and beating the living shit out the game. Goals, cash, stats... everything. It was like a mission to me and I loved every god-damned second of it. 

I also, unfortunately, own a copy of it on GBC. It is not good. At all.
    And the bummer in all this? THPS2 has some terrific outtakes and behind-the-scenes videos that you unlock by finding all the gaps and ... well, beating the game to absolute completion. There's some seriously funny stuff in there (like seeing the Neversoft dudes bail on skateboards) but the most heart-wrenching ones to watch are those with scenes of them making the game. It's them just having a fucking blast with making it. You can tell that those dudes had a love for the sport that was unmatched by anyone else on the face of the earth and it's that energy that made the series so fucking incredible. From the first one all the way to Underground, Neversoft embodied the sport in digital form in every possible facet, from the dangers and risks to the spirit and attitude. Watching that footage makes you realize that type of development is a relic of a time gone by but, man, I guarantee you that if you get a couple of those guys together again and have them work on an indie-sized project, you'd get the same amount of creativity and expression that the series has when it started. 

... ugh. Seriously harshing my groove over here. If you've never played the THPS series, find a copy of 1 or 2 on the PS1 and see what a game with heart and enthusiasm for it's subject is. You owe it to yourself if you like games. 

Days of Gaming Recap!

Feb 13th, 2011 - Day 1: Your Very First Videogame
    Feb 14th, 2011 - Day 2: Your Favorite Character 
    Feb 15th, 2011 - Day 3: A Game That Is Underrated   
    Feb 16th, 2011 - Day 4: Your Guilty-Pleasure Game     
    Feb 17th, 2011 - Day 5: Game Character You Wish You Were  
    Feb 18th, 2011 - Day 6: Most Annoying Character
    Feb 19th, 2011 - Day 7: Favorite Game Couple    
    Feb 20th, 2011 - Day 8: Best Soundtrack  
    Feb 23rd, 2011 - Day 9: Saddest Game Scene  
    Feb 26th, 2011 - Day 10: Best Gameplay (Part 1)  
    March 11th, 2011 - Day 10: Best Gameplay (Part 2)    
    March 12th, 2011 - Day 11: Gaming System of Choice    
    March 13th, 2011 - Day 12: Game Everyone Should Play
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By aurahack

Apologies for the day-late update. D: Turns out that going to pick up my lady companion from work, go to the grocery store, come back, watch a documentary and then play GTA with my friend online takes up far more time than I thought it would because before I knew it, it was like, 2 AM.  

But with that said, we march on with today's update! :D 

No Caption Provided

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

If you've ever visited the wiki page for THPS 2, you'd probably have guessed that this might of been a contender for the category. ... Granted, you wouldn't really need to guess all that much considering I put the cover art right there in the banner-- but that's besides the point. The point I'm trying to make is that I might of played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, as well as the first and other subsequent sequels, a lot. And by a lot, I mean to exhaustion.  

The Tony Hawk series is probably the biggest landmark of my childhood. It got me into playing videogames to completion, into getting a lot better at games (say what you will, but some of the challenges in that series are fucked) and into a lot of music that I normally wouldn't of been exposed to. It also got me into skateboarding, which had a pretty serious influence on me and more-than-helped craft the person I am today. The way I dress, the way I act, the way I don't do sports other than skateboarding and snowboarding... It sounds silly but... I owe a lot to the sport and even more-so to the game. 

I could of picked either 1, 3 or THUG since I've played all of those to death as well, but I picked 2 because that... that was it, man. Everything I wrote above, this is the game that made it all click. I don't remember when I got the game or how I got it-- it's like a dream, where all I can remember is being into it far after it began. Sitting in front of that shitty Mitsubishi TV we had the PS1 hooked up to and beating the living shit out the game. Goals, cash, stats... everything. It was like a mission to me and I loved every god-damned second of it. 

And the bummer in all this? THPS2 has some terrific outtakes and behind-the-scenes videos that you unlock by finding all the gaps and ... well, beating the game to absolute completion. There's some seriously funny stuff in there (like seeing the Neversoft dudes bail on skateboards) but the most heart-wrenching ones to watch are those with scenes of them making the game. It's them just having a fucking blast with making it. You can tell that those dudes had a love for the sport that was unmatched by anyone else on the face of the earth and it's that energy that made the series so fucking incredible. From the first one all the way to Underground, Neversoft embodied the sport in digital form in every possible facet, from the dangers and risks to the spirit and attitude. Watching that footage makes you realize that type of development is a relic of a time gone by but, man, I guarantee you that if you get a couple of those guys together again and have them work on an indie-sized project, you'd get the same amount of creativity and expression that the series has when it started. 

... ugh. Seriously harshing my groove over here. If you've never played the THPS series, find a copy of 1 or 2 on the PS1 and see what a game with heart and enthusiasm for it's subject is. You owe it to yourself if you like games. 

Days of Gaming Recap!

Feb 13th, 2011 - Day 1: Your Very First Videogame
    Feb 14th, 2011 - Day 2: Your Favorite Character 
    Feb 15th, 2011 - Day 3: A Game That Is Underrated   
    Feb 16th, 2011 - Day 4: Your Guilty-Pleasure Game     
    Feb 17th, 2011 - Day 5: Game Character You Wish You Were  
    Feb 18th, 2011 - Day 6: Most Annoying Character
    Feb 19th, 2011 - Day 7: Favorite Game Couple    
    Feb 20th, 2011 - Day 8: Best Soundtrack  
    Feb 23rd, 2011 - Day 9: Saddest Game Scene  
    Feb 26th, 2011 - Day 10: Best Gameplay (Part 1)  
    March 11th, 2011 - Day 10: Best Gameplay (Part 2)    
    March 12th, 2011 - Day 11: Gaming System of Choice    
    March 13th, 2011 - Day 12: Game Everyone Should Play
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Kingdom Hearts. Although I don't know the exact amount of times I played that game, I know that it was enough to break the disc. It would eventually take so long to load the world map that it had to be broken. It didn't help that I found out after I saved in the Coliseum, either.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hot_Karl
    Tony Hawk 2X was actually a really cool Tony Hawk title at the time. I'm surprised that Activision didn't re-release Tony Hawk games in "director's cut" versions for the newest generation of systems.  This blog reminded me of that.
    ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShadowKing7

Man, I remember playing this game with my dad so much.  In fact, one time we beat the career mode 100% with every skater in just one weekend just to see if we could, we played it so much. 

Also, why is this game not on PSN?  Somebody needs to get on that shit.
    PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By PixelPrinny

I have never played a skateboarding game ever.... Okay, California Games on the NES had some sorta skateboarding halfpipe part, but that's the only time!  

I don't have anything else to contribute to this skateboard subject! I am curious as to what sorta games one could put on a "played over 5 times" category -- is it games played to completion 5 times or just games played 5 times regardless of how long each session lasted?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Lunar_Aura
    @VinceNotVance said:
    "

Tony Hawk 2X was actually a really cool Tony Hawk title at the time.                     

"

2X was my favorite. I still hate Gertsmann's perfect 10 review of 3 but would hate it less if he gave it to 2X.
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By aurahack
    @LunarAura: 3 is the best in the series, though. The levels were interactive, it had online play, the create-a-skater and create-a-park were fully realized and it introduced the Revert, arguably the last important addition to the series. It took everything that 2 did right and then made it, well, better. So much so that it essentially was the peak of the series. :/ 

2x is still killer, though. The extra levels weren't all that great but it's still one of the bests in the series. 

@PixelPrinny: I assume it's played to completion 5 times. Or completed the regular "campaign" five times. Putting something you've played 5 times but never beaten seems silly. :/ Also makes you a quitter!  

@ShadowKing7: Because Activision hates money. ... wait. 

@VinceNotVance: I await the day where they re-release 1, 2, 3 and 4 on PSN or something. :(

@Video_Game_King: I sincerely apologize that Kingdom Hearts would be it :( Granted, that's probably just from my absolute hatred of anything Squenix within the past like, 10 years.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @aurahack: 

But Kingdom Hearts fucking rules.
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MisterMouse

Oh man I remember playing that game out the Wazoo!

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By amir90

Zelda Ocarine of Time, Diablo 2 LoD, and Dead Space, the only ones I can remember playing 5+ times.
    :)

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By TrashMustache

I've been reading your blogs and you wouldn't believe how many times I'm thinking to myself "yes, yes, yes", i completely agree with you on many things but this one does it,  aside from the fact that i don't skate in real life, everything else you wrote in this blogpost is applicable to my experience with the game :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.