#1 Edited by Tobiass (160 posts) -

Warehouse

School 2

Mall

Venice

Downhill Jam

Marseilles. France

Hangar

No spiderman, No private Carrera, No Splitscreen multiplayer. No create-a-skater or create-a-park.

Tony hawk 2x for the Xbox was a much more complete package. This really feels like a cashout.

No H.O.R.S.E.

15$

DLC will be $5, will add 3 THPS3 levels and the revert.

New Mode: Hawk Man

New Mode: Big Head Survival

#2 Posted by Bell_End (1234 posts) -

don't buy it then

#3 Posted by SamStrife (1328 posts) -

Urgh, that is really off putting to be honest. If the game sells for 10 dollars though I still think it will have some value.

#4 Edited by killacam (1320 posts) -

school 2's all i need. forgot you could play as spiderman though!

#5 Posted by Revan_NL (352 posts) -

So? I lost hours playing a pirated version of THPS2 and I only had the first level to play (for some reason I couldn't save). I lost hours playing the first level of THPS3 on the GameCube. I rather have 7 levels I can play for hours then 22 that I won't even touch or can be bothered to memorize.

#6 Posted by kermoosh (919 posts) -

i think they are charging 10-15 bucks. i'll pass. it'll be the game i play for a day or two for nostalgia then never go back to

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (13084 posts) -

Just reading that list of level names gave me a nostalgiagasm. What the hell is wrong with me?

I suppose I'm the target market...

#8 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -

What no split screen multiplayer?!? Hope that doesn't mean by beloved HORSE drinking game isn't coming back

But that level list is amazing, they picked some great ones. Loved downhill jam just trying to get that perfect run.

#9 Posted by DjCmeP (1224 posts) -

@Tobiass: It's a downloadable game

Also keep in mind this is an Activision game so there will be more levels as DLC so you'll end up paying nearly 50$ for the whole thing.

#10 Posted by Simplexity (1430 posts) -

They really only needed School 2, the rest of those maps are completely superfluous.

Too bad they fucked the soundtrack up so I won't be buying it.

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (16201 posts) -

Sounds like a value to me.

#12 Posted by EVO (4027 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Loved downhill jam just trying to get that perfect run.

Really? That was probably my least favourite level.

#13 Posted by mosespippy (4746 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

What no split screen multiplayer?!? Hope that doesn't mean by beloved HORSE drinking game isn't coming back

But that level list is amazing, they picked some great ones. Loved downhill jam just trying to get that perfect run.

HORSE isn't a split screen game mode in any Tony Hawk game. It's pass the controller. Even the PSP games have HORSE mode.

Overall I think I'd rather just play the old games again. They have all the levels and the soundtrack.

#14 Posted by BabyChooChoo (5193 posts) -

Tony Hawk 2x for the Xbox was also a full-priced game...

also:

@Bell_End said:

don't buy it then

#15 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (411 posts) -

I could just play warehouse for 20 hours so I'll probably still get it. If they did a full collection they probably would have sold a disc product. Tony Hawk was right in that interview: DLC is a coming.

#16 Posted by pyromagnestir (4382 posts) -

@Simplexity: You could just, I don't know, download the original songs and play them while playing the game... If that's really the only thing that's keeping you from buying the game, it's a pretty easy problem to fix. Or make a playlist or something on a music streaming site or youtube or something like that.

#17 Posted by robot4me (204 posts) -

no thanks. I just found this game at the local thrift store for $5 on n64.

#18 Posted by Demoskinos (16201 posts) -
@robot4me Its not the same game by a mile genius.
#19 Posted by Murdouken (766 posts) -

@Demoskinos: it sort of technically is a bit. they've gone to great lengths to make sure it plays identically to the old versions.

7 levels for $15 isn't so bad. also they've already confirmed DLC for $5. it seems a bit light on content but I love the old games so much that something like this for $15 is way better than something like Project 8/Ride/Shred whatever.

#20 Edited by Vextroid (1451 posts) -

Just seeing this list of levels has me hyped. Some of my favourite levels.

Except, School > School 2

Hopefully School, Downtown and Skatestreet are DLC.

#21 Posted by AlisterCat (6101 posts) -

So many people's sense of value here is so screwed up it's crazy.

#22 Posted by Gringus (74 posts) -

No spiderman :( I forgot what the point to this game was.

#23 Posted by Soap (3745 posts) -

I keep almost getting excited about this game, but then I remember it's going to play like Tony Hawks and that since Skate came along I've been spoiled by great physics.

#24 Edited by mandude (2670 posts) -

I'll pass. Way too light on content. I can just get out my old skateboard and break my neck in real life, anyway.

#25 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (324 posts) -

No Split-screen and no HORSE = No sale for me.

As far as I'm concerned those two things are essential to a Tony Hawk game.

#26 Posted by Simplexity (1430 posts) -

@pyromagnestir: This game for me is just a nostalgia trip nothing else, if they cannot recreate my Tony Hawk experience to perfection then I want nothing to do with it. It's no big deal this game is just not for me.

#27 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7595 posts) -

@GentlemanlyGentleman said:

No Split-screen and no HORSE = No sale for me.

As far as I'm concerned those two things are essential to a Tony Hawk game.

My thoughts exactly. I can forgive the small amount of levels, considering it's a downloadable game, but when you're trying to sell a game on nostalgia, why ignore some of the key features that made it so popular back in the day?

I was very excited about the game, before they announced it lacked these things.

#28 Posted by MideonNViscera (2269 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

don't buy it then

Yeah! Don`t complain about anything, ever! You only have the right to complain about things you`re forced to buy at gunpoint! Never about missed opportunities!

#29 Edited by SamStrife (1328 posts) -

@AlisterCat: Are you saying people are expecting too much or too little from this game for what they're paying?

#30 Posted by Brodehouse (10487 posts) -

7 levels for 15 bucks, it's not like the previous games had 28 levels for 60 bucks. In fact; didn't they usually have about 10 levels?

What probably would've served them better is if the game and the first level or two was free, and then they had 12 other levels for 3 bucks a pop, or the entire package for 30 bucks. That way completionists get what they want, people who just specifically want THPS2 levels can just get those, and people who just want to try it out can play for free. F2P Tony Hawk dude.

#31 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7595 posts) -

@Brodehouse: It's Activision. You can be sure they plan to add more levels as DLC very quickly, but they'll probably be far more expensive than you're suggesting.

#32 Posted by Brodehouse (10487 posts) -

I also find the "No split screen? No buy!" stuff hilarious considering that I doubt 10% of the people who are complaining would have actually ended up ever playing it split screen with anyone.

The lack of a create-a-park mode is kind of baffling with the modern LBP/Trials/user generated content advances. Then again, I doubt that the user generated content got Trials any more sales than the single player stuff did.

#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

No HORSE is the only real bummer for me there. The choice of levels seems pretty good. Frankly it depends how much they change, if they entirely remodel and texture those levels to look modern then it's probably worth the money. If they're straight ports with some up-rezzing then I'm not interested, and there aren't enough levels.

I guess we'll see.

#34 Posted by AlisterCat (6101 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

@AlisterCat: Are you saying people are expecting too much or too little from this game for what they're paying?

I'm saying that a film will give you 1 - 2 hours of entertainment for more or less the same price. Even if you only spent half an hour with every level that's still more value.

#35 Posted by Brodehouse (10487 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind

@Brodehouse: It's Activision. You can be sure they plan to add more levels as DLC very quickly, but they'll probably be far more expensive than you're suggesting.

I doubt they go higher than 3 dollars a level. The rumor already is that it's 3 THPS3 levels for 5 bucks. This is just one of those cases where F2P or microtransactions make sense, games entirely based around gameplay and level design, it makes sense to get them in the door with a free level or two, and then offer them new stuff.

Mass Effect 3 was 27 missions for 60 bucks, I wonder how it would go if you made a similar game where you gave the first seven missions (so about 7 hours of content) free, and then sold the remaining 20 at three bucks a pop, with more to come. Essentially sell loyalty missions and side stories and new content a la carte rather than as a big package. Then again, episodic gaming has struggled outside of Telltale, who's to say this ends up any different.
#36 Posted by SamStrife (1328 posts) -

@AlisterCat: That's a reasonable view.

#37 Edited by jozzy (2053 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

@SamStrife said:

I'm saying that a film will give you 1 - 2 hours of entertainment for more or less the same price. Even if you only spent half an hour with every level that's still more value.

I find comparing value to other forms of entertainment is always extremely counterproductive. Do you normally say "No" if your friends ask you to go to bar because you easily burn $50 in a few hours. Comparing price/hours is probably dumb anyway, even within videogames.

This is a really, really old game that they just put a little HD sauce on. Their investment is likely going to be pretty low. That in my opinion doesn't makes this package scream amazing value for money, but many people will probably get their moneys worth. It's Activision, they'll never really surprise you with value for money. It's cool and calculating business for them.

EDIT: I'd say, if you must compare anything compare this with Trials Evolution. This game doesn't compare favorably to that one I'd say, but I understand that's an example of extreme value for money.

#38 Edited by cmblasko (1483 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

How so? The value of entertainment is subjective.

@Brodehouse said:

I also find the "No split screen? No buy!" stuff hilarious considering that I doubt 10% of the people who are complaining would have actually ended up ever playing it split screen with anyone.

Why did you choose an arbitrary number like 10%? Your argument works against you if 90% of people are justified in their decision not to buy due to lack of split screen. When THPS1 and 2 were out I played pretty much exclusively split screen with friends, only venturing into the single player mode to unlock stuff. Split screen in THPS is a huge deal to me, and lots of other gamers I would guess, and leaving it out of a game that is being billed as a nostalgia trip is an oversight.

#39 Posted by CosmicBatman (322 posts) -

I would totally pay full price if they remade every level up to Thps 4 and put them all in one game.

#40 Posted by Tylea002 (2382 posts) -

@CosmicBatman said:

I would totally pay full price if they remade every level up to Thps 4 and put them all in one game.

Damn right.

The price isn't the sticking point, it's all the cut corners. People would way rather pay more for something that isn't half assed than pay less for something where they cut out half the songs, levels and modes that people loved.

Put the old Neversoft guys back on it. Make a sequel to Proving Ground (cause all the NTT stuff was cool), but with a decent 90s soundtrack, and I will be satisfied forever.

#41 Posted by Tobiass (160 posts) -

The series peaked at 4 and died after T.H.U.G.

#42 Posted by DoctorWelch (2817 posts) -

Wow, that's pretty stupid. Why wouldn't they just put as much content in there as possible. Well I guess we shouldn't be too surprised, it's not like anyone's done right by a Tony Hawk game for years, why should this be different.

#43 Posted by BrockNRolla (1725 posts) -

At $15, 7 levels seems like too few? I don't know, but that really doesn't sound all that crazy to me. I'm surprised to see so many people claiming that's a terrible deal.

Admittedly, HORSE was probably my favorite mode, so it's disappointing that isn't around, but overall, what exactly were people expecting from a $15 game?

#44 Posted by Demoskinos (16201 posts) -
@AlisterCat

I'm with you here. There is plenty of potential gameplay hours locked up in these seven levels. There are a ton of achievements, and even after you beat the game %100 you can still do the projectives that unlock if you want more of a challenge. And that doesn't even touch the online.
#45 Posted by Vexxan (4624 posts) -

Sucks to hear but I'm still probably buying this game.

#46 Edited by drac96 (746 posts) -

Tony Hawk 2 had 10 levels

Tony Hawk 3 had 9 levels, a tenth exclusive to the Xbox and three levels from the original game.

Both of those games originally cost way more than $15. What's the value issue here?

#47 Posted by Hizang (9360 posts) -

Remember that this is not like the other full retail versions, this is just a cheap HD thing for about £10.

#48 Posted by joshthebear (2704 posts) -

School 2 + Superman by Goldfinger = all you really need.

#49 Posted by aurahack (2483 posts) -

Here's my opinion on this topic:

Don't like it? Then fuckin' don't buy it. As someone who grew up playing the entire series from the start, $15 for some of the franchise's best levels repackaged in HD with classic controls all playable in online multiplayer? Fucking sold. Times a million.

#50 Posted by billyhoush (1236 posts) -

I'm just pissed I have to wait to play it on PS3. Warehouse level + Playstation controller = Nostalgia ++

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.