So this game only has 7 levels...

• 81 results
#51 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

it's 15$

#52 Posted by Scrawnto (2450 posts) -

@drac96 said:

Tony Hawk 2 had 10 levels

Tony Hawk 3 had 9 levels, a tenth exclusive to the Xbox and three levels from the original game.

Both of those games originally cost way more than $15. What's the value issue here?

They've been spoiled by games like Trials Evolution. It's messed up their perspective on games like this that don't offer the same cornucopia of content. Or arguably, the standards have gone up since the original games were made. Or maybe they just see 'fewer features than the original' and have a gut "I'm being ripped off!" reaction, a reaction which has been proven out in lab experiments. Show them 3 X and then 2 X at the same price, and they'll think 2 isn't enough, and they will actually feel revulsion. Show them 1 X and then 2 X at the same price, and suddenly 2 for 1 is a deal! (X may be levels, challenges, modes, hours of entertainment, or any number of other metrics. It's not really important.) These reactions are deeply ingrained in our instincts, because most people don't have full knowledge of how much anything should be worth, much less something immaterial like software.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with the price, but I'm not in the market for a Tony Hawk game either.

#53 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@aurahack: Online multiplayer but no splitscreen, that's a pretty big deal for a game like this. I don't want to play with random cretins online.

They even omitted what was arguably the best mode of the game and all that required was passing the controller.

#54 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3739 posts) -

The only thing that pisses me off about the whole thing is that of the seven levels, two of them are the Mall and Downhill Jam levels that are the linear level crap that no one liked, and that was dropped after the first game. Even worse, is the fact that they're only in the game because Tony Hawk insisted that they be included. Activision even showed them polls where those levels were near the bottom of the list when it came to player favorites, and he just ignored all of that and still pretty much demanded them.

Ugh.

#55 Posted by Rmack (1078 posts) -

I didn't know there was no local multiplayer. That's the main reason I wanted it. Damn.

#56 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: They took it out because the people targeted have grown up and no longer have friends over for play dates. They now own their own systems and have subsequently replaced splitscreen with online so that you can play with them online. From anywhere. You AND your friends, Giant Bomb members, and random cretins if you so desire.

This shit is like, trying to find to problems for the sake of complaining. Fucking stupid. It's $15. Set your expectations appropriately.

#57 Posted by bwheeeler (450 posts) -

I bought all three Sly games, all three Jak & Daxter games, and three Metal Gear Solid games for $40. I think it's okay to say that seven remade Tony Hawk levels for $15 is a little light on content.

#58 Edited by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@bwheeeler: The work done on those games was minimal. Quickly turning around HD ports takes minimal effort an money and building new assets as well as securing licenced music etc... is a much bigger cost.

#59 Edited by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac said:

The only thing that pisses me off about the whole thing is that of the seven levels, two of them are the Mall and Downhill Jam levels that are the linear level crap that no one liked, and that was dropped after the first game. Even worse, is the fact that they're only in the game because Tony Hawk insisted that they be included. Activision even showed them polls where those levels were near the bottom of the list when it came to player favorites, and he just ignored all of that and still pretty much demanded them.

Ugh.

Two of my favorite levels personally. Also, in HD the level doesn't "end" when you get to the bottom anymore you warp back to the top.

#60 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

They really only needed School 2, the rest of those maps are completely superfluous.

Too bad they fucked the soundtrack up so I won't be buying it.

Why the fuck do people bitch about the soundtrack? In this day and age you can play your own fucking music on the console while you play the game, so quit bitching about the soundtrack.

#61 Posted by bwheeeler (450 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Read this. HD remakes take a lot more work than you assume.

#62 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (330 posts) -

It doesn't really seem like a bad deal to me. I loved the Tony Hawk series but I'm still on the fence about whether or not to pick this up.

#63 Posted by TheHT (11262 posts) -

Meh, the old games were all about playing your favourite level over and over anyways.

#64 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

Sounds like $15 worth of content.

Hell, School 2 is worth $15 alone. I could play on that for months!

#65 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

"Yeah, the only reason I'd really buy this is if we could play split screen against eachother like the old days" - My room-mate, around the time of E3 this year....

#66 Posted by Tan (425 posts) -

No horse is very close to a deal breaker... can you still create moves?

#67 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Dunno about you guys but that sounds pretty reasonable. I'd get it myself if it weren't for the fact that I just finished THPS2 for the millionth time a few days ago.

#68 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@EVO said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Loved downhill jam just trying to get that perfect run.

Really? That was probably my least favourite level.

I just loved trying to find that perfect line. And get the highscore

#69 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

What no split screen multiplayer?!? Hope that doesn't mean by beloved HORSE drinking game isn't coming back

But that level list is amazing, they picked some great ones. Loved downhill jam just trying to get that perfect run.

HORSE isn't a split screen game mode in any Tony Hawk game. It's pass the controller. Even the PSP games have HORSE mode.

Overall I think I'd rather just play the old games again. They have all the levels and the soundtrack.

I know that, but if they saying split screen gone I wonder if horse aswell.

Nah im looking forward to playing this on xbox live.

#70 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

The only thing that really pissed me off was no split screen. Other then that the levels are awesome.

#71 Posted by ashleychittock (136 posts) -

I also find the "No split screen? No buy!" stuff hilarious considering that I doubt 10% of the people who are complaining would have actually ended up ever playing it split screen with anyone.

This is a really, really stupid post.

#72 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

I went back and played THPS2 and was surprised that there were only 8 levels. Honestly, playing 2 again has scratched that skateboarding itch. Think I'll be able to hold off on the new one.

#73 Posted by Serpentenema (217 posts) -

No Cigar, Rodney Mullen, Eric Koston, and School 2 are worth it for me.

#74 Posted by Serpentenema (217 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Simplexity said:

They really only needed School 2, the rest of those maps are completely superfluous.

Too bad they fucked the soundtrack up so I won't be buying it.

Why the fuck do people bitch about the soundtrack? In this day and age you can play your own fucking music on the console while you play the game, so quit bitching about the soundtrack.

Like at this point you can download the soundtrack, put it in a playlist, put it in your ipod, and relive your childhood.

#75 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

My main problem with the level selection is te mall and downhill jam. Both are some of the worst levels and the only reason downhill jam is in is because Hawk himself wanted it.

I'd much rather have had Burnside in the game.

#76 Posted by Dethfish (3663 posts) -

I bought the game and while it was downloading asked my little brother if he wanted to play splitscreen with me and told him how fun it was "back in the day". He says yes and seems pretty excited about it. Download finishes, I start the game and then very quickly realize my brother is about to be bummed out.

#77 Posted by robot4me (193 posts) -

@Demoskinos: If it's not the same game then why give it the same name with hd tacked on. I thought hd remakes were supposed to be the original game in hd. Explain that genius?

#78 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@robot4me: Simple, its a mash up of the first two games in the series as opposed to slapping a HD paint job on the THPS 1 content. If anything this game is closer resembling to Tony Hawk 2x for the Xbox than anything but even that is a stretch as 2x had levels that weren't in any other version of the game.

#79 Posted by MadMagyar92 (67 posts) -

If it's a budget and abridged HD remake, it's a cashout.

If it were a re-release of the original, SD games, it'd probably would also be deemed a cashout.

There really is no pleasing the internet. Buy it, don't buy it. Be happy they even acknowledge the old games. They've certainly deviated enough to suggest they wouldn't.

#80 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Honestly, I'd prefer a high-definition re-imagining of the Tony Hawk (Pro Skater 1 - Underground 2) series. I think it'd be good to have the skate system of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, where all moves and tricks were modifiable, (even manuals). The HD update would also see the proportions brought down to a normal size across all of the different levels.

It would have the following levels:

1. School II (2)
  2. New York City (2)
  3. Airport (3)
  4. Los Angeles (3)
  5. Warehouse (THUG2)
  6. Boston (THUG2).
  7. Roswell (1) [Unlockable]
  8. Skate Heaven (2) [Unlockable]
And the following skaters:
  1. Tony Hawk
  2. Rodney Mullen
  3. Elissa Steamer
  4. Jessica Florencio
  5. Andrew Reynolds
  6. Lyn-Z Adams Hawkins Pastrana
  7. Steve Caballero
  8. Chad Muska

It would also have a full skateboarder customization suite, male and female, and tons of choices for not only clothing types and styles, but also full stats customization, deck art, grip tape art, truck and wheel customization. Also, this game would see the return of custom skateparks, custom special tricks, as well as bring back buy-able special tricks that the pro skaters use, (laser flip, quad flip, gazelle flip, etc.).

Yeah, I don't know. I just want more customization and something that is a lot fuller all-around that satiates more people's creativity and how they want to use and enjoy the game. The game just looks very bare bones.

#81 Posted by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -

Such a shame that no one even remembers the best level in all of skateboard video game history, it features sections from Tony Hawks backyard and Sadlands, for God's sakes!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.