Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Too Human

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 19, 2008

In this action-RPG from Silicon Knights, players take on the role of the Norse god Baldur, whose protective feelings towards humanity and refusal to augment his body with cybernetics lead the other Aesir to label him "too human".

A little skill points math

Toothsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Toothsaw

[SPOILERS DISCLAIMER] [SPOILERS DISCLAIMER] [SPOILERS DISCLAIMER] [SPOILERS DISCLAIMER] [SPOILERS DISCLAIMER]

If you're afraid of finding out some game mechanics or info you're not prepared to know before the game is released, maybe you'd best keep away from this topic.

[SPOILERS DISCLAIMER] [SPOILERS DISCLAIMER] [SPOILERS DISCLAIMER] [SPOILERS DISCLAIMER] [SPOILERS DISCLAIMER]

HERE IT COMES!!

[ANOTHER DISCLAIMER]
    Let's just say it from the start to be clear: I like the demo and I'm really looking forward to this game, which so far has positively impressed me (and now I dare you call me stupid, NeoGAF!)
    These are just a couple of thoughts and one of my biggest hopes on this demo.

Hi everybody.
    I happened to think about skill points allocation in Too Human, based on what I've seen in the demo and in several websites.
    In the demo every time we level up we are given 3 skill points to distribute among our class skills (we don't get to the part where we have to choose our alignment and get access to the other skill tree).
    If that would be the case in the full game too, being there 50 levels to play, that would make (49 x 3 =) 147 skill point total. That is, if there are no other means to get them (like special rewards at some point in the plot).

If we take a look at the skill trees, we understand how many points wee need to max out a tree. Let's go calculating.

CLASS SKILL TREE
    ================

In the class skill tree we have 6 tiers. Each skill in eache tier is maxed at 10 skill points (SP). The first skill is common to all the "specialization" paths in the skill tree; then specialization kicks in. The game requires you to choose a specific specialization only when you put points in a spider ability, since it deactivates the other two spider abilities, blocking your progression through those other two paths. You can still max out the other two tier-2 skills, since the alternative paths are only blocked from tier-3 on. So, to max out the class skill tree, we have to max out the tier-1 skill (1), plus 3 tier-2 skill (3), the tier-3 (spider) skill (1), the battlecry tier-4 skill (1), the subsequent tier-5 skill (1) and laslty the tier-6 (sentient weapon) skill (1). That would make 8 skills to max out. At 10 SP each, it's 80 SP to max out your class skill tree.

ALIGNMENT SKILL TREE
    ====================

The alignment skill tree is a bit different from the class one; it has only two specialization paths and three tiers are common to both paths. I'm going speedier this time around. YOu have the tier-1 skill (1), the tier-2 skill (1), you can max out both tier-3 skills (because your path becomes chosen when you put points in the battle cry skill) (2), one tier-4 skill (battlecry) (1), one tier-5 (spider) skill (1) and the tier-6 skill (1).
    So in the alignment skill tree you have at most 7 skills to max. Since the tier-1 skill is maxed at 5, not 10 SP, that would be (7 x 10 -5 =) 65 SP to max out the alignment skill tree.

So, it's 80 SP + 65 SP to max out both our skill trees. And we said we are granted 147 SP total in the game. Now, let's not question why are there 2 SP more than necessary; we may be given less point at certain points, but whatever: that's not the point.
    The point is, if the game is designed to get the player to max out each single skill, then the replay value may get a sound beat, since you're not compelled to try different combination. In one single playthrough, you can max out one class. And you can try even different paths (each one maxed too) through respec. You only need a couple of respecs if you want to try all the paths in your class skills tree.
    I think a game should never let you max out every single skill. You should be allowed to be very powerful in some categories and not in others, but not just by blocking the paths you can take at a certain point. You should get less points than required to max each of your allowed skills, so that you have to choose which one to grow at the expense of other skills.

Like in Diablo II, where in each level you have to choose if you want to get a later skill or power up an old one.
    If you can max out every skill of a chosen path, you know you can't differentiate your character by switching powers and concentrating on old ones instead of getting the new ones. When you hit lvl 50 you have reached maximum skill in your abilities. The only difference lies in the path you have chosen, but you can respec and choose to max out another different path. I don't like this idea very much though...
    I hope in the full game you are given less than 145 SP needed to max everything.
    I'd like to chose if I want to sacrify my alignment tree in order to get to a maxed sentient weapon skill, or the other way around. That should add more customization to each version of Baldur we will create, which in the end results in more fun. Fun leads to pleasure. Pleasure to positive thought. Positive thought is the moving force of the universe and the Jedi would be pleased to know that SBONK!
    Ok. I got the control on my mind back.

I'm just hoping that Dyack has chosen for the best. And I'm quite sure of that.

Toothsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Toothsaw

Oh, no wait! I forgot!
    When you get to choose you alignment, two more skills appear on the class skills tree page, so the answer is "YES!".

"The answer to what?", you might ask.
    The answer to my fears. The answer to my pleas =)

In other words: yes, you don't get all the SP you need to max out every single skill in the tree, even if you'd get 3 SP per level at each level, which I doubt.

Problem solved. By myself. I kno, I know... it happens to crazy people... yes, yes...
    Move along. Nothing's here...

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Mrnitropb

You will actually only get about 107 skill points.

Toothsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Toothsaw

Oh! Thanx man. I really must have missed that piece of info.
    Too much time on the demo and too little on scouting news on the game :))

Neopezz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Neopezz

Some good points would have been in there if you were right about the number of skill points, but it was well put together so I say well done.

Toothsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Toothsaw

Actually I learned a few days ago the total number of skill points we'll have access to is 95.
    In a topic inside the forums on www.toohuman.net there's a java skill point calculator, with all the class skills and alignment skills. It's a really nice program. it also lets you save in one single file one build for each class. You can also save single-class build files.
    Check it out if you're interested in this game.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Mrnitropb
    DenisDyack said:
    Hi everyone,

Been meaning to correct this but I have been too buried to do so earlier sorry. The last 10 levels 40-50 have only 1 skill point. So the total number of skill points are 95.

3 points for 2-9
    2 points for 10-39
    1 point for 40-50

for a grand total of  95 points.

I didn't want people taking all the time planning their builds to find out later they dont have enough skill points.

Hope this helps,
    Denis
    That limits things just a tad. Wonder if any of the better lotts will add skill pints or any some such.
    Toothsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Toothsaw

So it's only 2 SP each level in the bulk of the game.
    Dammit! That means I can't overpower my enemies and I have to fight carefully all the time :P
    Sounds good to me. Pretty good.
    Can't wait 'till August 29 for this to come out...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.