Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Too Human

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 19, 2008

In this action-RPG from Silicon Knights, players take on the role of the Norse god Baldur, whose protective feelings towards humanity and refusal to augment his body with cybernetics lead the other Aesir to label him "too human".

Denis Dyack ruining it for Too Human?

Eonkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eonkid
    If you dont wanna read my essay, you can just scroll to the bottom to read my question.

Just to clear any misunderstanding here, I do not hate or dislike Denis Dyack. I actually respect the man highly, especially since the incident with Neo Gaf forums, he just confronts things without fear, and perhaps without understanding the consequenses it causes for his little baby, [i]Too Human[/i].

For those of you who do not know who Denis Dyack is, he is the president of Silicon Knights, developer of Eternal Darkness, Legacy of Pain...eh, Kain, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes and Too Human. He is a very uniq character, and challenges the community of gaming all the time, especially on the Neo Gaf forums, were he recently made a bet that if Too Human got a score under 70 or 80 that he would have some sort of tag on his nick there. The reason for this is that he reacted to the way people interpeted Metacritic scores, he felt they based a game on Metacritic scores(Metacritic is like gamestats, it piles up all the reviews they can find, and creates a median for it).

He has also done alot of other things to critizise the overall community of gamers, and reviewers, and also making himself a target to hate or love. You rarely see a guy standing more out than his own game, even though you have people like CliffyB and Peter Moleyneux they bring the attention to the game. You can see CliffyB stand on a stage and talk about Gears of War and think like "Oh My God, this guy is like awsome, and he has like and awsome game", he kinda brings the extra Bigger, Better and more Badass to the game, so to speak, but Denis Dyack is kinda the opposit, using is position as a "famous" person to talk about things he want to talk about, not what people want to hear. Like when he appeared on 1up yours podcast, and spent an hour talking about what was wrong with gamers and reviewers and such, taking everyone by suprise, since everyone wanted to hear him talk about Too Human, not about his personal interest(even though I was completely intrigued with his presentation of his opinions, that guy can realy rant on and on, like, holy sh*t).

The point being, do you think by putting himself too far out there, and casting somewhat a shadow on his own game, he hurt Too Humans potential with the public in the process ?

As for I, I think he made alot of haters get grounds for going around and bashing the game, and in the process creating a fad of hating the game. In the end though, I just hope the haters will open their eyes and see that you can't judge a game before you have actually played it.
    tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By tokyochicken

To be completely honest I really think Dennis should've been the bigger man and avoided all this bullshit. I can understand his logic and I agree with some of what he said on 1up yours but god damn he was really making a mistake with the whole Gaf post.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pause422

He should of avoided it definitely, I think also by constantly going on podcasts (such as 1up yours) and bringing up the whole Neo Gaf thing and trying to make his one post some like it makes sense from a huge crazy amount of thinking...then saying "we'll let the reviews do the talking" was a bad idea...because even if you hate game informer, they are the main north american reviewer so far that has one out there( I believe) with a 6.75/10 which is not good... I just see this game getting 6's-7's mostly, and its going to critisize himself on so many levels, I really wanted to like this game..but even if you do..you have to admit for being in development since PS1 days( I believe longer than even Duke Nukem Forever...) and to finally be released soon, what the game is just seems very underwhelming...just get that kind of feeling like...really? after over 10 years this is all they got? it could of been so much more...

Neopezz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Neopezz

In a small way yea, but I think that the points he made are valid and that as he has said before the game will speak for itself.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

I think some of the things he's said have been a bit overboard, but all in all he's gotten more press and attention for Too Human than he ever would have another way.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

Yeah, more press towards a game that doesn't appear like its gonna get great reviews...so now more people notice those reviews, great job Dennis.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Mrnitropb

He has made some ver good points in all of this. he has also made some batshit points during the process, and most people have latched onto those. I don't know that alot of people will refrain from geting the game from his actions and statements, pos or neg, but it has forced alot of people into polartiy, with middle ground thinkers getting beaten with rocks.

His savign grace is that the game at elast from what the demo has shown, fucking rocks.

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arjuna

I'm from Canada.  Denis Dyack was recently featured interviewed on a popular Canadian public radio show called, "Q, with Jian Gomeshi".  The interview can be heard if you go to http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/pastpodcasts.html#ref42.  Click on "Q", then scroll down a bit until you come across the episode that says, "Silicon Knights".

Denis' problems began when he tried to carry on a civilized discourse with people on forum boards.  As it was said in a former Bombcast concerning Denis Dyack, 'people revel in their anonymity'.

While I'm sure it's possible to have a civilized discourse on a forum board, it is also possible for the board to be infiltrated and to deteriorate into:  "you fu*&!n fag(*@&"  Anyone who's been on Xbox Live, or a forum board knows this.

Yes, we should ignore these attacks and move on, but it's very possible for something to be said that is personal and the feeling to strike back is very real.  Real men don't back down and run away.  That's a problem with the anonymity of forum boards and the net in general, there's nothing to retaliate against except some angst filled person who gets his kicks from hurting others(a.k.a. - pychopath).  My sympathies to Denis Dyack for falling into this.  I'm sure he's learned a powerful lesson.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By dj

Yea, its really sad how more people are focusing on his shenanigans as opposed to the good points of his game. Some developers have enough charisma to advertise their game but Dyack is just overshadowing his game.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

I think Too Human looks like crap and I couldn't possibly care less about it. Denis Dyack has nothing to do with that.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArchScabby

He hurt it by making it seem like it was going to be the greatest and most important game ever made, when it's really just a good game. 

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arjuna

haha.  I have to agree.  Too Human doesn't look like a very good game.  i played the demo and was pretty bored.  Here's the podcast from the CBC interview I just mentioned.  Here's a better link to the interview I mentioned above.  This link makes it easier to find.  After you click here, click on "Q", then scroll down a bit until you see the episode that says, "Silicon Knights".  http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/pastpodcasts.html#ref42

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arjuna
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Arjuna said:
    "

I just said that Too Human doesn't look like a very good game.  I take that back.  I meant to say:  it does look like a good game.  I just found that it didn't play very well.  The way the camera controlled, ormoer specifiaclly didn't control, was frustrating.

"

So you are saying that despite the fact that the game isn't good, it's still a good game?
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArchScabby
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Arjuna said:
    "

I just said that Too Human doesn't look like a very good game.  I take that back.  I meant to say:  it does look like a good game.  I just found that it didn't play very well.  The way the camera controlled, ormoer specifiaclly didn't control, was frustrating.

"

So you are saying that despite the fact that the game isn't good, it's still a good game?"
    lol
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DualReaver
    ArchScabby said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Arjuna said:
    "

"

So you are saying that despite the fact that the game isn't good, it's still a good game?"
    lol"
    quoted for large amount of "Lulz".
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_

If you don't like the game, why are you here? You've obviously got nothing to say besides "I don't think it's a good game" and nobody is here trying to debate you or convert you.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Jayge said:
    "If you don't like the game, why are you here? You've obviously got nothing to say besides "I don't think it's a good game" and nobody is here trying to debate you or convert you."

>.>
    Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arjuna

yes, I am saying that the game isn't good and it is also good.  I'm saying that it "looks", good graphics I mean; but that it doesn't play well.

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arjuna
    DualReaver said:
    "ArchScabby said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Arjuna said:
    "

"

lol"
    quoted for large amount of "Lulz"."
    I said the game "looks"  good, but doesn't "play"  good.  You took the work "look" out of what I said.  You didn't read it properly.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Jayge said:
    "If you don't like the game, why are you here? You've obviously got nothing to say besides "I don't think it's a good game" and nobody is here trying to debate you or convert you."

>.>"
    Seriously. Every discussion thread that has anything to do with Too Human has people randomly going around saying "this game sucks! it sucks!". It totally derails everything, and it gets damn annoying.
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Patchinko
    Jayge said:
    "I think some of the things he's said have been a bit overboard, but all in all he's gotten more press and attention for Too Human than he ever would have another way."
    I have to agree. I personally think he's exposing it more than he's alienating people, so it's probably working. They do say, "There's no such thing as bad press," and that may prove true here.

I mean, bottom line is, if it's a good game, it'll sell. The real question is if it's not a good game, will it sell? ;)
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By KingBroly

When you say the game speaks for itself and then go out and upset a gaming community trying to defend your game, I hear mixed messages.

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arjuna

Even if the game doesn't play well.  I will likely at least rent it because the story looks interesting to me.  Since they've planned it to be a trilogy, then I'm sure there's gonna be some interesting story arcs going on.  Norse mythology's good stuff.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jayge_
    KingBroly said:
    "When you say the game speaks for itself and then go out and upset a gaming community trying to defend your game, I hear mixed messages."
    He never went out to defend his game per se (that's not what caused the entire "dyack sucks blah blah blah" shit). He is really outspoken about a number of other things, that little forumgoers don't like to hear about. They love to harp him for it, since there isn't anyone else in the media with balls quite like his o.0
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DualReaver

Can anyone give a link to the aforementioned Neo Gaf topic?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jayge_

Which one? There are at least 10 of them.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DualReaver
    Jayge said:
    "Which one? There are at least 10 of them."
    The most famous one? Or the one he rants the most in. lol
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jayge_

The most famous "for or against" one doesn't seem to be accessible to the public anymore. You can view a transcript of it on 1up though. Dyack currently spends a lot of time on TooHuman.net answering questions and kidding around, along with the NeoGAF Official Too Human thread, where he does the same.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Mrnitropb

Arjuna's post are kind of a great example here.

He/she (moving into general 2np person here) doesn't really care about the game, one way or another, might rent it maybe, but becasue there is so much stuff stirring about about it, feels the need to pop in on the forums for it in various corners of The Tubes, and let their opinions about the game, SK, DD, and anyone who likes the game, be known to all. Which is fine, everyoen is entitled to their opinion, and discussion boards are, surprisingly venues for discussion.

But if there wasn't a big bruhaha over the development and developers of Too Human, most of heose Joe/jane Schmoes wouldn't bother posting anything about the game.

If DD hadn't been talking stuff, Arjuna wouldnt' have come on here to post links to his interviews, despite feeling the game is not good.

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By normajean777

i agree with him though when ppl say a game sucks and havent even played the game that is bull play the game before you say anything but i think he is cool some of his points are right

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pause422

for this type of game, which consists of nothing other than upgrading a character and combat, basically the  console version of what hellgate london became...a 3d diablo, or single player mmo like game with real time combat....can completely be decided by its demo, if you realize you enjoy being a loot whore, you will probably enjoy this game, or at least buy it only for that, if you aren't, then you can easily see just from that demo, this is not the kind of game where a demo doesn't do it justice...a open world game with a ton of different gameplay elements is the type of game that can't be judge by a demo.. but this demo gives you combat and loot, if you are being honest with yourself you'll see that the fighting system that is so 'deep' is incredibily simple and can just be spammed since this game is so piss poor easy, if you want a easy simple game with maybe an interesting story, it could very well be that...just play the demo and if you have, there you go, make your decision because you've played all of the game you are going to play for the entire duration..it isn't gonna change. I just wanted to love this game and came out totally dissapointed, for a game in development for over 10 years and it onl equaled this..its pretty underwhelming and dissapointing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.