Is Too Human's combat really as bad as the demo?

#1 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I'm not stupid, so I know that it's the same combat. As a test when I downloaded the game and got used to the controls (which took like 5 seconds), I decided to go into the other room and just rotate the joystick clockwise without looking at the screen. I come back 30 seconds later, all the enemies are dead, and I have full health. Seriously?

The combat system seemed dumber than almost every other game I've played. Is there something I'm missing with combat?

#2 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"I'm not stupid, so I know that it's the same combat. As a test when I downloaded the game and got used to the controls (which took like 5 seconds), I decided to go into the other room and just rotate the joystick clockwise without looking at the screen. I come back 30 seconds later, all the enemies are dead, and I have full health. Seriously?

The combat system seemed dumber than almost every other game I've played. Is there something I'm missing with combat?
"
thats kinda funny if its true however here are combos and what not that make the combat more enjoyable 
#3 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
ZombieHunter said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"I'm not stupid, so I know that it's the same combat. As a test when I downloaded the game and got used to the controls (which took like 5 seconds), I decided to go into the other room and just rotate the joystick clockwise without looking at the screen. I come back 30 seconds later, all the enemies are dead, and I have full health. Seriously?

"
thats kinda funny if its true however here are combos and what not that make the combat more enjoyable "
I see. And what I said was completely true, no lie. It made me lose all heart in the game. Maybe I'll try to get back into it later.
#4 Edited by Adam_West (50 posts) -

that was the first level.....................and your character didnt have any abilities................

later in the game, the enemies get tougher, you earn special abilities and learn to use advanced moves.

example, double tap right stick towards a guy to life him in the air + press A to jump up and each him + Press both sticks towards the guy and hold it = The long range fierce attack will turn into a Finisher. Hammers/ swords/ staffs have different finishers. 

......if you do that, your combo meter fills up after 2/3 special moves instead of 100+ regular strikes, which gives you the ablitiy to turn on Battle cries and Spiders.

.........that enables you to level up and gain special ruiners like a bear popping out and smashing every one.

#5 Edited by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Adam_West said:
"that was the first level.....................and your character didnt have any abilities................

later in the game, the enemies get tougher, you earn special abilities and learn to use advanced moves.

example, double tap right stick towards a guy to life him in the air + press A to jump up and each him + Press both sticks towards the guy and hold it = The long range fierce attack will turn into a Finisher. Hammers/ swords/ staffs have different finishers. "
My main question is, though, why bother if you can just swivel the joystick? If the enemies get tougher, then I could see, but it still seemed simpler than hell.
#6 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"ZombieHunter said:
"Arkthemaniac said:

"
thats kinda funny if its true however here are combos and what not that make the combat more enjoyable "
I see. And what I said was completely true, no lie. It made me lose all heart in the game. Maybe I'll try to get back into it later."
remember was just the demo when you get deep into the game with you custom class it  ends up being alot of fun not the best game i have ever played but it will hold my attention intill mercs 2 and what not 
#7 Edited by Adam_West (50 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Adam_West said:
"that was the first level.....................and your character didnt have any abilities................

example, double tap right stick towards a guy to life him in the air + press A to jump up and each him + Press both sticks towards the guy and hold it = The long range fierce attack will turn into a Finisher. Hammers/ swords/ staffs have different finishers. "
My main question is, though, why bother if you can just swivel the joystick? If the enemies get tougher, then I could see, but it still seemed simpler than hell."

read the first line of my reply............

First level in a demo with lvl 1 enemies..........try your swivel against a lvl30 Troll, see how do
#8 Posted by Adam_West (50 posts) -

and one more thing, Too human isnt for everyone as jeff said.

if you have the patients to learn the attacks / advanced attacks (theyre decribed in the menus), learn what Battle cries do, learn your equipment, your spiders, sentinent attacks, and like Diablo Style games....youll like Too Human.

the game has its flaws, but its still a fun game especially on co-op. Its not Flashy like something like NINJA GAIDEN or DMC, its a good deep action rpg.

#9 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Adam_West said:
"and one more thing, Too human isnt for everyone as jeff said.

if you have the patients to learn the attacks / advanced attacks (theyre decribed in the menus), learn what Battle cries do, learn your equipment, your spiders, sentinent attacks, and like Diablo Style games....youll like Too Human.

the game has its flaws, but its still a fun game especially on co-op. Its not Flashy like something like NINJA GAIDEN or DMC, its a good deep action rpg."
The thing is that one of my favorite series of all time has been Diablo, but the basic combat seems deeply unsatisfying. Sure, you get abilities, but even when not using the abilities in Diablo, you get good satisfaction from whacking an imp in the face.

It probably isn't for me, but for different reasons than others.
#10 Posted by Atlas85 (2 posts) -

Ok, I bought the game and fired it up yesterday.  Got through the entire first level without dying once.  Loved the game, was having a blast (even if I was a little concerned that the game was too easy).  Combat was exactly as you described here, take a nap, heat up dinner, watch some TV, and occasionally wiggle the analog stick.

ENTER SECOND MISSION

In a matter of an hour or two I go from 0 deaths (the game keeps track of stats like number of deaths and enemies killed) to 17 deaths.  To a mere observer it may seem like there is not much variety in the types of enemies in Too Human; however, once you delve into the second mission things become quite hairy fast.  I guess my point is definitely don't make your judgment on this game based solely on the demo.  I am having a lot of fun with the game and am baffled as to why it is getting such flak from so many people.  The combat picks up very fast and if you just continue to try and bounce from mob to mob you'll be quickly eating your fill of dirt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.