Anyone want to take bets on when Torchlight 2 will come out

#1 Posted by kingofpeanuts (479 posts) -

I highly doubt that Runic Games will be able to release it by the end of summer. My guest is the end of September or early October.

#2 Posted by Robo (816 posts) -

I'm guessing not by the end of summer as well. If it were a month or so out, I think (and hope) they would have said something by now.

Also, I think missing the summer is a bit of a mistake.

#3 Posted by HadesTimes (827 posts) -

My guess would be fall. Probably around Oct 30th. But who knows, seemed done when I played the beta. Could come out by the end of August.

#4 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@Robo said:

I'm guessing not by the end of summer as well. If it were a month or so out, I think (and hope) they would have said something by now.

Also, I think missing the summer is a bit of a mistake.

I think getting it as far away from Diablo 3 is pretty wise.

#5 Posted by HadesTimes (827 posts) -

There is some overlap in the audiences. But I don't think it has much to worry about from Diablo 3, it's too bad. But I think most people have moved on or soon will. With the bug discoveries I don't think anyone wants to play auction house games anymore.

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Middle of September. I hope it doesn't come out summer. Even though I have it pre-ordered I have way too many games to get through in my backlog.

#7 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@HadesTimes said:

There is some overlap in the audiences. But I don't think it has much to worry about from Diablo 3, it's too bad. But I think most people have moved on or soon will. With the bug discoveries I don't think anyone wants to play auction house games anymore.

Until Blizzard comes out with a huge patch that fixes it and announces an expansion pack. Diablo has legs man.

#8 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

@HadesTimes said:

Until Blizzard comes out with a huge patch that fixes it and announces an expansion pack. Diablo has legs man.

Honestly, it really doesn't; that's kind of the issue. The higher ups wouldn't be posting about how there's no endgame, how "Diablo III isn't World of Warcraft and won't be receiving constant updates," and how any fixes to endgame are too big to be coming any time soon. 

As for Torchlight II, I think they should release sooner rather than later, while people still have a sour taste in their mouths from Diablo III.
#9 Posted by RandyF (161 posts) -

I think it'll sneak in right before the end of the year. Maybe first week of December. Just a feeling.

#10 Posted by AuthenticM (3802 posts) -

Wasn't this game supposed to come out near the release window of Diablo 3, initially ?

#11 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

As soon as Diablo III dies down. So pretty soon hopefully.

#12 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

I wish this wasn't the case. I do plan on getting Diablo III, but I was kinda more excited about Torchlight 2 for some reason. Well, it is still technically summer, right?

#13 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

From what they have posted on their website it looks like they are at least close to done with polishing all of the acts. I suspect that they'll be done before September is over. I'm hoping that's the case.

#14 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@lead_farmer said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

I wish this wasn't the case. I do plan on getting Diablo III, but I was kinda more excited about Torchlight 2 for some reason. Well, it is still technically summer, right?

Definitely before the end of the year. The reason why it'll do well I think is because it won't require a constant internet connection, so all the people who aren't happy with that aspect of Diablo 3 can just pick up Torchlight 2.

#15 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

September would be my guess. Too late into August for it to come out if you ask me. That is unless it's a telltale sort of deal where with episodes you don't know they're coming out until THAT week.

#16 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@lead_farmer said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Diablo 3 is not the Diabo 2 (or 1) you were looking for. It's fun, but even Nightmare is a hollow experience thanks to poor loot drops.

#17 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

Hopefully before the end of the summer. Also fair warning Diablo drama is probably going to follow this thread. Which I will say might be my new least favorite community on the internet, congratulations guys.

#18 Posted by DarkTravesty (329 posts) -

summer officially "ends" in September the last thing i read is that they are shooting for sometime in there.

#19 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

With Guild Wars 2 & World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria releasing soon, and then the uber-busy holiday season - they'd be smart to go for a December/January release. Torchlight 2 seems to me like a game, that will thrive best when released during a games drought. So either June-August or December-January.

#20 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3085 posts) -

Probably sometime in autumn.

#21 Posted by Turkfinn (84 posts) -

I'd go forth and guess sometime in early fall, either late september or early october. I honestly think they'd be ok releasing the game in a busy season as it's a game that you can pick up at anytime and will have plenty of legs on it after it's released since it'll have multiplayer this time around.

#22 Posted by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

Some of the guys on the dev team post updates once a week letting people know how the game is coming along. Right now all they have left is to finish polishing up Act 3 and the game should be ready to ship. I'm going to guess it'll be out the last week of August or very early September. Summer isn't over until September 21st so if they get it out by then they'll still technically make their Summer 2012 release date.

#23 Posted by BaconGames (3574 posts) -

The only thing that bums me out is that we as the intended audience for the game don't know anything about what's going on. We shouldn't have to dig into dev blogs to figure out about when it should come out. Not to say they need to be set on a date now but keeping people updated in a major way is how you maintain attention and confidence in your product.

#24 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

On the official Runic Games forums in the main Torchlight 2 section they always keep the most recent "Not A Blog" post stickied at the very top. I don't think that there is really is any real digging required to find out most of the information that they're putting out about it. They're even interacting and responding with people who comment in the thread about it, which isn't something you'd get very often if it was just a straight up blog post.

As for the date, it seems like they're making good progress so I'm guessing sometime in September. They still have until September 23 or something to make their summer 2012 release date.

#25 Posted by Lukeweizer (2765 posts) -

I don't know why, but I automatically went to January.

#26 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

It'll be out sometime aftere Diablo 3.

#27 Posted by DoctorTran (1575 posts) -

Probably before Half-Life 3. Hopefully not after.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.