Should I get this or Diablo III?

• 73 results
#1 Posted by Zereta (1368 posts) -

I haven't bought many games this year (mainly due to me having my GCE A Level exams in about 40 days. Its a real big deal) and have only stuck to games that I can play in short bursts (Like FTL). One of the games I have yet to buy in fear that I might hooked is Diablo III. Now, my intention up till now was to buy Diablo the moment my exams ended and get on that but with Torchlight 2 out, I'm not sure which one I should buy. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Diablo when it launched but going back to it now, there's an air of negativity that surrounds that game and Torchlight 2 has become the darling. So I'm lost.

I'm probably not gonna buy both as there are tons of other games I have yet to buy (Only boxed game I've bought this year is Mass Effect 3) so I gotta make a choice for my isometric Diablo-style game. Help me out here dudes!

#2 Posted by Christoffer (1823 posts) -

I liked Diablo 3 and haven't played enough Torchlight 2 (about 12 hours) but my vote goes to Torchligt. It's much more lighthearted and random and doesn't feel like a chore quite as often (yet). I also get the feeling that the character and gear customization is much more open and fun to explore than Diablo's.

But off course, Diablo 3 is more polished and balanced. But I think you've already guessed that.

#3 Posted by animathias (1186 posts) -

I don't really understand the negativity surrounding Diablo 3; it's a fantastic game. So is Torchlight 2 - though to be fair, I haven't played nearly as much of it as I have Diablo. 
That said, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with Torchlight 2, and it's hard to argue against it with its $20 price tag. I haven't gotten to try playing multiplayer yet, though I can only imagine it works fine - minus the launch week woes that games like these suffer from.  

#4 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

Diablo 3's better in my opinion. But Torch lights cheaper.

#5 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

after spending a weekend playing T2 i do prefer D3. not saying T2 is bad by any stretch. either is fantastic imo. i just prefer D3.

im sure some people will be along soon with very strong opinions and will detest one and absolutely adore the other, don't trust these binary thinkers. its ok to like 2 games.

#6 Posted by Village_Guy (2579 posts) -

Diablo 3 is better so far in my opinion, but Torchlight 2 is cheaper of course.

So if money is tight I would recommend Torchlight 2, otherwise I would say Diablo 3. But it is fairly close...

#7 Posted by Zereta (1368 posts) -

I guess my follow up question would be if Torchlight and Diablo are different enough to consider buying both. Now that I've decided against buying Resident Evil 6, I've got a bit more money to spare. Is it worth it to buy both or are they really similar that it would be a waste?

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

#8 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Diablo 3 has more polish and feels a bit more modern. But it has an over reliance on the auction house, finding decent gear, without grinding gold for hours, is near impossible and that brought the game to a dead-stop for me.

Torchlight is more of an indie game, it was obviously made on a smaller budget, but in my opinion, it's the much more fun game. I'd say they're different enough to be worth buying, but I'd recommend Borderlands 2 over Diablo.

#9 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I'll probably never play D3 again, I find it boring as all hell, the loot sucks. TL2 all the way.

#10 Posted by Zereta (1368 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

Diablo 3 has more polish and feels a bit more modern. But it has an over reliance on the auction house, finding decent gear, without grinding gold for hours, is near impossible and that brought the game to a dead-stop for me.

Torchlight is more of an indie game, it was obviously made on a smaller budget, but in my opinion, it's the much more fun game. I'd say they're different enough to be worth buying, but I'd recommend Borderlands 2 over Diablo.

Borderlands 2 is right on top of the games I need to play once the exams are over :) So I got that covered haha

#11 Posted by Stete (738 posts) -

Get Torchlight II, and if you want more, get Diablo III. So far I'm loving Torchlight II more than DIablo III but then again I have put over 100 hours in Diablo III so that was definitely worth my money.

#12 Posted by StarvingGamer (8251 posts) -

I hated the original Torchlight. It felt too much like Diablo 1.5, a huge step back from Diablo II which came out like, a decade earlier. The timing gap is shorter now but everything I've seen of Torchlight II makes it seem like it's just Diablo 2.5, making it completely irrelevant in a post Diablo III world to a person like me.

#13 Edited by Loafsmooch (349 posts) -

I played D3 for over 200 hours, it's a good game but I'll never play it again. Besides, the auction system really feels like a chore, you can't progress in inferno without auctions. I'm already having a lot more fun in TL2 than I ever had in D3, and TL2 has mod support, which means plenty of replayability even after the vanilla game.

I'd say TL2 for sure. Lot more interesting ways to build your character. None of the classes are "locked" to a certain role. You can create a berserker mage or a tanky ranged class, whatevs. Did I mention mod support?

Oh, and the screen shakes man! It sounds silly, but the screen shakes when you crit and for me, it's very satisfying. For example, the berserker has a frenzy system which gives him 6 seconds of constant crits once in a while, I find it extremely satisfying blowing stuff up while the screen shakes like a bawws.

#14 Posted by Morningstar (2164 posts) -

You should get this.

#15 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Diablo 3 is a huge let down, get Torchlight 2 so you actually get a game worth playing.

#16 Posted by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

I haven't played Diablo III, so I can't comment on that, but once the modding community gets their hands on TorchED 2, there will be a ton of extra content out there for TL2 in no time. That, to me, gives TL2 a much greater value than Diablo III.

#17 Posted by Rowr (5665 posts) -

Diablo 3 has a bit more of a farmville slot machine money generator feel to it, whereas Torchlight 2 feels like a game.

#18 Edited by Zomgfruitbunnies (794 posts) -

Torchlight 2 because it's cheaper and has infinitely more value due to modding.

#19 Posted by believer258 (11922 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

I hated the original Torchlight. It felt too much like Diablo 1.5, a huge step back from Diablo II which came out like, a decade earlier. The timing gap is shorter now but everything I've seen of Torchlight II makes it seem like it's just Diablo 2.5, making it completely irrelevant in a post Diablo III world to a person like me.

I've only just started playing these types of games so I'm still not horribly familiar with their subtleties; what did Diablo 2 do that Torchlight didn't, and what does Diablo 3 do (other than the auction house) that Torchlight 2 doesn't?

Anyway, I'm not entirely writing off Diablo 3 but two things push me away from it: the auction house (which is fine in theory but I don't really want to see it in what I'm playing) and the need to always stay online (which I do have a major problem with as it feels like a company sticking its fingers too far into my space, plus it completely chops out any mod capability).

#20 Posted by DeF (4893 posts) -

I vote Torchlight II - I found the story that's being forced on you atrocious in terms of production values (aside from the cinematics). Lag due to the always-on was also very annoying and I didn't enjoy the boss encounters one bit. Loot drops seem also very unspectacular on the first playthrough (and influenced by some magic server AI that basically hands out magic items for all classes except the one you're playing as to encourage multiple playthroughs).

I've been having a lot more fun with Torchlight II since it just leaves you alone and lets you play how you want without throwing curveballs at your nuts at every turn.

#21 Posted by Korolev (1707 posts) -

Depends on what you want. Both are good games. I've played both. I continue to play both.

If you are looking for a more classic approach and a more light-hearted game, Torchlight II is pretty good.

If you are looking for a very polished experience that will test your abilities and if the feel of how your character moves and performs actions is important, D3 should be your choice.

Torchlight has more customization. D3 has better skills. Torchlight allows the player to mod. D3 does not. Torchlight II is harder than Torchlight 1, but it is still far easier than D3. Both have terrible stories, but D3's story is slightly better than Torchlight's - which may as well not even exist.

Again, both are good. If it's a question of only affording one, I get the impression that you don't like to spend much on games - so get Torchlight because it's cheaper. It's a fun game. On the whole, I prefer D3 slightly more, because the character movement, systems, enemy types and skills are more to my liking. Torchlight II's character movement is actually a pretty big problem for me - your character moves in a clunky fashion and terrain interrupts attacks a lot more than in D3. But again, I'll stress this point, both are fun to play.

#22 Posted by Hunter5024 (5689 posts) -

Torchlight 2 because they are really similar and it's $40 cheaper. I haven't played either of these games honestly, but good luck on your test.

#23 Posted by Zereta (1368 posts) -

I do spend a lot on games which is why I have to make a decision here since there's like a crap ton of games coming out in the next couple of weeks. Feel is important to me but for a mouse clickly action game, I'm not sure how much of a feel I'm supposed to expect anyway. Seems like it would be the same. I might be completely wrong though.

@Korolev said:

Depends on what you want. Both are good games. I've played both. I continue to play both.

If you are looking for a more classic approach and a more light-hearted game, Torchlight II is pretty good.

If you are looking for a very polished experience that will test your abilities and if the feel of how your character moves and performs actions is important, D3 should be your choice.

Torchlight has more customization. D3 has better skills. Torchlight allows the player to mod. D3 does not. Torchlight II is harder than Torchlight 1, but it is still far easier than D3. Both have terrible stories, but D3's story is slightly better than Torchlight's - which may as well not even exist.

Again, both are good. If it's a question of only affording one, I get the impression that you don't like to spend much on games - so get Torchlight because it's cheaper. It's a fun game. On the whole, I prefer D3 slightly more, because the character movement, systems, enemy types and skills are more to my liking. Torchlight II's character movement is actually a pretty big problem for me - your character moves in a clunky fashion and terrain interrupts attacks a lot more than in D3. But again, I'll stress this point, both are fun to play.

#24 Edited by Loafsmooch (349 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@StarvingGamer said:

I've only just started playing these types of games so I'm still not horribly familiar with their subtleties; what did Diablo 2 do that Torchlight didn't, and what does Diablo 3 do (other than the auction house) that Torchlight 2 doesn't?

Anyway, I'm not entirely writing off Diablo 3 but two things push me away from it: the auction house (which is fine in theory but I don't really want to see it in what I'm playing) and the need to always stay online (which I do have a major problem with as it feels like a company sticking its fingers too far into my space, plus it completely chops out any mod capability).

It's hard to explain what made D2 into what it was. I only played a a couple hundred hours of it, which is not a lot considering some people played it for a whole decade. Loot is a very important aspect of these games. You'd think it's pretty much "random" in a way, but it's really not. D3 failed in that aspect, the loot was wayyyy too random which forced you to use the auction house if you wanted to complete inferno difficulty. Torchlight 1 was basically an embryo of what TL2 is, it was a fresh take on the hack n slash and it had a lot of issues and unfinished ideas. TL2 expanded on these ideas.

Also, character building is a huge part of these games. D3 doesn't let you choose stats, or make you stick with your skillchoices. You can respec your skills whenever you want and all your stats are totally gear-dependant, like in WoW.

In a way, D3 just feels like a sterile, multi-million product of a corporate company which only exists as a cashcow. TL2 is made by very committed developers who love their fans and these types of games.

I don't mean to sound like someone who hates big companies and despises money.. but..

Bottom line. D3 is all about greed and money, while TL2 is all about fun and love for the game.

#25 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@Loafsmooch said:

In a way, D3 just feels like a sterile, multi-million product of a corporate company which only exists as a cashcow. TL2 is made by very committed developers who love their fans and these types of games.

I don't mean to sound like someone who hates big companies and despises money.. but..

Bottom line. D3 is all about greed and money, while TL2 is all about fun and love for the game.

You may not want to sound like it, but I've never seen a post more biased in that regard.

Not even that it would be true, no, what StarvingGamer is most likely referring to is about game mechanics.

Such as overall balance, polish, working economy, build diversity, fluidity in both gameplay and animation and of course the whole enclosed online platform aspect with lack of unfair mods and/or cheaters. You know, a persistent world which makes e.g. the loot and your achievements actually mean at least something in comparison, because you can be (pretty) sure the next person didn't just pull it out of some trainer.

There's just a lot Torchlight 2 cannot possible offer to certain gamers, such as him and myself. I could consider playing through that game, yes, but not coming back. And again, that's not just the online stuff.

Diablo 3's combat is insanely fluid, meaty and fun. If I'd play TL2 I'd just crave for Diablo 3's combat, I'm certain about that. Same goes for stuff like the quick to use inventory with on the fly stat comparisons and so on. There's just a certain polishing level that I appreciate a lot in Diablo 3. And in the end, I would not play Torchlight 2 in the long run. And while I am / was a modder in Warcraft 3 myself and love the aspects of modding single maps as different experiences, I have little desire to install some user made mods. What I want is a very well made game from the Devs themselves. If respec stuff has to be modded in because TL2's Skill System doesn't allow for respec like Diablo 3's does, then the problem in my opinion lies within the game's philosophy. While there is no completely right or wrong call to make as a game Dev you should strive to create what you as a good game developer think is good game design. As such, I do prefer to play non-modded games, in fact it adds to my enjoyment somehow knowing that it's within the integrity of the developers of the game. Now of course many different people enjoy many different game mechanics but still, it IS possible to create something you'd in general call "better".

Either way, I don't even know how I got here. Thing is, in the end, someone who knows how both games work should be able to easily figure out which one to play. And if not, play both or toss a fucking coin.

#26 Posted by Christoffer (1823 posts) -

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

You know, a persistent world which makes e.g. the loot and your achievements actually mean at least something in comparison, because you can be (pretty) sure the next person didn't just pull it out of some trainer.

How about pulling something out from the AH, is that more worthy than a trainer?

It seems you've already made your mind up with Torchlight 2 without even playing it, speaking of bias I mean.

#27 Posted by Loafsmooch (349 posts) -

@Christoffer said:

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

You know, a persistent world which makes e.g. the loot and your achievements actually mean at least something in comparison, because you can be (pretty) sure the next person didn't just pull it out of some trainer.

How about pulling something out from the AH, is that more worthy than a trainer?

It seems you've already made your mind up with Torchlight 2 without even playing it, speaking of bias I mean.

If you have to compare your achievements to somebody elses in a game to feel meaningful, you'd definitely be better off with D3, or actually WoW. I personally don't understand that mentality, for me gaming is about fun, not comparing your e-peen.

Oh and you mentioned build diversity. IMO TL2 is much better off in that regard. Considering that each of the 4 primary stats are actually usable and viable on all classes, depending on your build. Seems like you haven't even played it for more than 20 minutes.

I guess the fluidity of the combat is a personal thing, but for me TL2 has a lot more meat to it. Atleast once you start critting and blowing stuff up a lot.

#28 Posted by Karkarov (3109 posts) -

I haven't even played Torchlight 2 yet and I will tell you Torchlight 2 over Diablo 3. Why? Because I have played Torchlight 1 and Diablo 3, and the only advantage Diablo 3 had was multiplayer which was added in Torchlight 2. Other than that I would rather play Torchlight 1 over Diablo 3 any day so I can't conceive Torchlight 2 not being the better game. I know I plan to pick it up when I am done with Borderlands 2.

#29 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Loafsmooch said:

@Christoffer said:

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

If you have to compare your achievements to somebody elses in a game to feel meaningful, you'd definitely be better off with D3, or actually WoW. I personally don't understand that mentality, for me gaming is about fun, not comparing your e-peen.

Oh and you mentioned build diversity. IMO TL2 is much better off in that regard. Considering that each of the 4 primary stats are actually usable and viable on all classes, depending on your build. Seems like you haven't even played it for more than 20 minutes.

I guess the fluidity of the combat is a personal thing, but for me TL2 has a lot more meat to it. Atleast once you start critting and blowing stuff up a lot.

let just hope the T2 devs don't make to much money from the game, otherwise they'll turn into money loving, greed driven, sell out like all the people that work for Blizzard.

#30 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

They are bother very good, so it's hard to pick one over the other, but I believe they both have demo/trial versions, so that is probably the best bet. Personally, I find the gameplay of D3 to be a lot more polished and satisfying. But Torchlight is a little more relaxing for going out and exploring and questing. But factor in price and modding, T2 becomes the obvious choice

#31 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

The combat in Diablo 3 feels better, and seeing thats what you'll be doing for the majority of the game i'd say go with that.

#32 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

I actually really enjoyed Diablo 3 but I can tell from what I've played of Torchlight 2 so far (about 17 hours) that I'm going to enjoy it more in the long run. The art style is more interesting and the game doesn't seem like it's as dependent on gear as much as D3, which in my book is a good thing. However, some cons are that there is no respeccing skills or stat points if you fuck up with allocation and the multiplayer isn't as good as in D3.

#33 Posted by Karkarov (3109 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

let just hope the T2 devs don't make to much money from the game, otherwise they'll turn into money loving, greed driven, sell out like all the people that work for Blizzard.

Thats a funny post, because you say it so sarcastically but it is actually 100% correct. Blizzard is about as creatively bankrupt a gaming company as you can be without being named Zynga. Not only did they fail to improve on Diablo 2, that failure took 12 years, and they even borrowed half the games "improvements" from WoW which made the experience as near god awful as it could be. Diablo 3 is the perfect example of a game where profitably was more important than the game actually being good or "fun".

#34 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

Get Path of Exile instead when the open beta starts

#35 Posted by Shortbreadtom (782 posts) -

TL2 and Dishonored in a month. That's what I'm doing.

#36 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

@Bell_End said:

Thats a funny post, because you say it so sarcastically but it is actually 100% correct. Blizzard is about as creatively bankrupt a gaming company as you can be without being named Zynga. Not only did they fail to improve on Diablo 2, that failure took 12 years, and they even borrowed half the games "improvements" from WoW which made the experience as near god awful as it could be. Diablo 3 is the perfect example of a game where profitably was more important than the game actually being good or "fun".

but D3 was fun and a quality produce, hence why it reviewed so well (of course you'll say that blizzard bought all the reviews). and T2 is a great game too and i think the devs should profit greatly from it.

#37 Posted by Christoffer (1823 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

@Bell_End said:

So to answer from earlier in the thread, on why people hate Diablo 3, here's you answer.

#38 Posted by EXTomar (4742 posts) -

Not liking the direction of Diablo 3 is one thing but saying they are creatively bankrupt is a bit "fanciful" given how the game looks and perform.

#39 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Played Diablo 3 beta for 4 hours and got bored out of my mind. Played Torchlight 2 beta for 6 hours and loved it.

Torchlight 2 or better yet Dungeon Siege 2 + exp.

#40 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

@Zereta:I think that what Stete said is a perfect answer. @Stete said:

Get Torchlight II, and if you want more, get Diablo III.

If Torchlight 2 leaves you wanting more or maybe even underwhelmed then get Diablo 3. If it leaves you completely satisfied then you probably have no reason to get Diablo 3 and you saved a good amount of money.

I will say this though, Torchlight 2 will have full mod support, whereas Diablo 3 does not. I don't know if you care about that but it's definitely going to keep me playing Torchlight II longer than D3.

#41 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

You'll probably get around the same amount of value out of each game; they're both similarly featured. But to me, Diablo III just feels better. The classes have more interesting and varied abilities at their disposal and the combat just feels a lot tighter. Torchlight 2 is still heck of fun, and at $20, it's a hell of a bargain, but I feel like the "fit and finish", if you will, of Diablo III makes it a more compelling package overall.

#42 Posted by leftie68 (215 posts) -

They are two very different games. Diablo III is an absurdly polished game, that is very fun, customizable, and balanced. On higher difficulties it really attracts stat trackers and build experimenters not unlike Blizzards other games. Don't believe the hate, the AH is only an issue on Inferno difficulty (your fourth play through and about 80 hours in if you get that far), and yes at that point it is mandatory. Torchlight 2 is more of a Diablo-lite but in a good way. It can be a blast to play, but although its environments are more varied, like Torchlight 1, the gameplay can get stale quickly. Its saving grace, from a longevity stand point, is the modding community. And it is only $20. Both are great games, and you can enjoy them both, however, if you had to choose one, it really depends on what type of games you like.

#43 Edited by StarvingGamer (8251 posts) -

@Loafsmooch said:

@believer258 said:

@StarvingGamer said:

It's hard to explain what made D2 into what it was. I only played a a couple hundred hours of it, which is not a lot considering some people played it for a whole decade. Loot is a very important aspect of these games. You'd think it's pretty much "random" in a way, but it's really not. D3 failed in that aspect, the loot was wayyyy too random which forced you to use the auction house if you wanted to complete inferno difficulty. Torchlight 1 was basically an embryo of what TL2 is, it was a fresh take on the hack n slash and it had a lot of issues and unfinished ideas. TL2 expanded on these ideas.

Also, character building is a huge part of these games. D3 doesn't let you choose stats, or make you stick with your skillchoices. You can respec your skills whenever you want and all your stats are totally gear-dependant, like in WoW.

Lol

I can't speak for Torchlight 2 as I haven't played it, but Diablo III is light years ahead of Diablo II in terms of mechanics and design. Based on my time spent with Diablo II, the original Torchlight, and the various bits of preview coverage I've experienced regarding Torchlight II, it really seems like a reskinned Diablo II with a few convenience tweaks.

As far as loot in D2 vs D3, well, you seem to forget that D2 only had 3 difficulties. The challenge, loot, and odds of success in Hell mode in D2 and D3 were essentially the same. What D3 did was add another tier of difficulty (and loot) beyond the worst (and best) D2 had to offer. Admittedly the difficulty curve was spiked a little too hard when the game came out but they were treading on unfamiliar territory and have since fixed it.

And don't get me started on character building. Do you know why respecs exist? Because, as with any point-allocation system, at the end of the day there are going to be, at most, a few dozen "right" builds, a bunch of builds that are passably bad, and an infinite number of builds that are straight up fucked. Unless you're playing the game with a FAQ open next to you dictating your every level-up or are the sort of person with the patience and forethought to craft a build with the min/maxing synergy focused eyes of a professional MTG deck builder, you're going to have to respec. And Torchlight II doesn't even offer that! You can reinvest your 3 most recently spent skill points? You won't know how badly you fucked up at level 5 until you reach level 30.

D3 is no more about greed and money than any other for-profit product. Remember how Torchlight was supposed to be a way to kickstart their MMO? But it sold so well they were like, fuck it, if we just make a second one of these it will be way easier and we'll probably make another shit ton of money. Unlike D3, however, T2 practically copies the development path from D1-D2 verbatim whereas the effort put in by Blizzard is nothing short of staggering. If it really was all about greed and money, they would have shit out Diablo 2.5 in a year or two and walked all the way to the bank laughing instead of pouring resources into a huge development team for 11 years, redoing the game practically from scratch multiple times, in order to find a way to evolve isometric loot dungeon RPG's.

Anyways, sorry for the derail, but this post pushed all the right buttons.

EDIT: Since I earlier stated that I can't speak for T2 then proceeded to accuse it of copying the D1-D2 development path, allow me to clarify. From what I have seen in the media and heard from friends with the game, the major changes in TL2 are additional classes with a more fleshed out talent/skill system and moving the game from a single town/dungeon to a world with varied environments. Otherwise, TL1 and 2 are relatively similar outside of a myriad of small tweaks to all facets of the game, improving the overall quality of the experience. Am I getting the wrong impression?

#44 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

I think D3 is a better game, and the last couple patches they've done have been really great. TL2's only $20 though, so if funds are tight you might want to go with that.

#45 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Get Borderlands 2 instead! Anyway having only watched gameplay of both games (and therefor having a very developed opinion of both) I'd say Torchlight 2. I'll eventually be picking it up myself.

#46 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Get Borderlands 2 instead! Anyway having only watched gameplay of both games (and therefor having a very developed opinion of both) I'd say Torchlight 2. I'll eventually be picking it up myself.

This would be my answer too, but if you're just looking at D3 or Torchlight 2, I'd get D3. Having played through both, they're both really good games, and at 1/3 D3's price, Torchlight 2 is awfully competitive, but with the work Blizz has been doing on D3 to make it better, I think it's still the superior game.

But yeah, I've been having the most fun with Borderlands.

#47 Posted by kishinfoulux (2316 posts) -

This is the internet so you aren't allowed to like Diablo III and have to LOVE Torchlight 2. God the stupidity makes me sick.

#48 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

I only played the Torchlight II demo but from what I've played of that and Diablo (finished it) I'd choose Torchlight. Doesn't hurt that it's cheaper too.

#49 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

I was a defender of Diablo 3 when it came out and I still think it was a good game, but it was also a pretty big letdown, the more I played it, the more I could see that the loot system in Diablo 3 was completely broken and it seems that the auction house was put in to address that rather than supplement. Don't get me wrong, Diablo 3 is worth playing, but if you've waited this long, I would wait for it to go on sale or wait for an expansion.

I haven't made it too far into Torchlight 2 yet, so no comment on that, but I loved the first Torchlight and $20 makes it pretty hard to go wrong.

#50 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

I like both. 180 hours+ in D3 and around 18 in TL2. I feel satisfied with both purchases. You can't go wrong =)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.