Torchlight II caused me to laugh out loud.

#1 Edited by Gantrathor (229 posts) -

So, there's quite a lot of humor in Torchlight II. But you won't find much of it in the story. Instead, you'll find it by interacting with objects in the world. You'll also find it in the names and descriptions of some of the unique loot items. In my experience, the jokes I've run into have caused me to burst into laughter. Not just a little chuckle, mind you. Laughter. The jokes are incredibly dumb, but they always make me laugh. They're far funnier than they have any right to be.

Here are some screenshots to explain what I mean.

I think the reason I like the humor in this game so much is because it always catches me off guard. I never really know when it's going to pop up.

What about you? Do you enjoy the humor in Torchlight II? Do you find it refreshing that an ARPG other than Borderlands is injecting some humor into a genre that is otherwise saturated with doom and gloom?

Online
#2 Edited by SerHulse (685 posts) -

Yeah, the game doesn't beat you over the head with it's humor.

While something like Borderlands, while technically funny, is just shouting it's jokes at you to make sure you hear them, which I'm not much of a fan of.

I prefer my humor subtle.

EDIT: Also, that is a genius layout for your skills you have there, I'll be stealing that!.

#3 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Yeah that is funny, only a chuckle here though. Also is there a developed story this time or just some text when you enter certain levels? That was my biggest problem with the first one, I get that story isn't #1 priority but come on.

#4 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: The story is far from first priority, it's just as inconsequential as the last game.

#5 Posted by ShaggE (6624 posts) -

Oh man, that first one is hilarious.

#6 Posted by ripelivejam (4567 posts) -

@SerHulse said:

Yeah, the game doesn't beat you over the head with it's humor.

While something like Borderlands, while technically funny, is just shouting it's jokes at you to make sure you hear them, which I'm not much of a fan of.

I prefer my humor subtle.

and yet the 2nd one resorts to the same tired internet humor that so many people complained about in BL2

#7 Posted by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

@SerHulse said:

Yeah, the game doesn't beat you over the head with it's humor.

While something like Borderlands, while technically funny, is just shouting it's jokes at you to make sure you hear them, which I'm not much of a fan of.

I prefer my humor subtle.

and yet the 2nd one resorts to the same tired internet humor that so many people complained about in BL2

But your not beaten in the head with it. And i'm sure most people don't even notice the small description, its subtle. Its not loud and obnoxious.

#8 Posted by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

Found the horse & remembering the horse from the first game, started clicking quickly going through it & due to clicking fast might have missed it but almost sure that one of the things the horse says is 'gluuuuuuueeeeeee!'. Between this & other horsey dialogue and finding the bottle of lotion in the slaver camp which does go in a bucket for hidden loot. The game is quite more entertaining & heard that there's some odd easter eggs in it.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (15084 posts) -

@Gantrathor: This is the exact opposite of what Borderlands 2 does and I LOVE that they are way way more subtle with the humor. Borderlands 2's humor is just abrasive and dumb. Picked this up on the steam sale today along with a copy for my friend and man this shit is so fun! I'm rather LTTP but good stuff!

#10 Posted by believer258 (12071 posts) -

@SerHulse said:

@TheDudeOfGaming: The story is far from first priority, it's just as inconsequential as the last game.

I don't know about that, it's certainly nothing in depth but stuff happens in it. It has a story of its own to tell, you just have to either listen to people tell it or read the main quest texts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.