Torchlight II Will Feature Different Cities And Expanses

• 118 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Torchlight II will feature a narrative that'll take us across a continent. That is the initial clue that Runic Games is attempting to lift the series out of the doom and gloom and into differentiated areas, a not-so-subtle flip-flop for a game whose predecessor was defined by, in part, its one-dungeon confines. But what kind of places will we see above the ground? According to Runic CEO Max Schaefer, a variety of cities and open expanses will welcome us when we adventure in the game at some point in Spring 2011.

"People felt a little claustrophobic with the structure--Torchlight is just one town [Torchlight] and a series of dungeons underneath. So, the obvious remedy for that is to make big overworlds and different cities," Schaefer told Gamasutra. "So, we're doing that."

This'll be a meaningful change that addresses one of the easiest criticisms one could lob at the original hack-and-slash title: the constant retreading over the same, almost never-changing ground.  

== TEASER ==Torchlight II's MMO-like approach with its co-op, and now apparently its world map, doesn't mean Runic Games has scrapped its plans to create a Torchlight MMO. We discovered that when speaking with a representative. But Torchlight II does mean the Torchlight MMO won't be the next title from Runic.

"The more we thought about it, we could give people what they're asking for, and give them a nice, co-op Torchlight experience a lot faster than we could do an MMO," Shaefer told Gamasutra. He explained that Runic felt there was a void and wanted to fill it because, well, it "ran out of excuses not to do it." Kinda like how we're running out of excuses not to build a one-use time machine to Spring 2011.    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Torchlight II will feature a narrative that'll take us across a continent. That is the initial clue that Runic Games is attempting to lift the series out of the doom and gloom and into differentiated areas, a not-so-subtle flip-flop for a game whose predecessor was defined by, in part, its one-dungeon confines. But what kind of places will we see above the ground? According to Runic CEO Max Schaefer, a variety of cities and open expanses will welcome us when we adventure in the game at some point in Spring 2011.

"People felt a little claustrophobic with the structure--Torchlight is just one town [Torchlight] and a series of dungeons underneath. So, the obvious remedy for that is to make big overworlds and different cities," Schaefer told Gamasutra. "So, we're doing that."

This'll be a meaningful change that addresses one of the easiest criticisms one could lob at the original hack-and-slash title: the constant retreading over the same, almost never-changing ground.  

== TEASER ==Torchlight II's MMO-like approach with its co-op, and now apparently its world map, doesn't mean Runic Games has scrapped its plans to create a Torchlight MMO. We discovered that when speaking with a representative. But Torchlight II does mean the Torchlight MMO won't be the next title from Runic.

"The more we thought about it, we could give people what they're asking for, and give them a nice, co-op Torchlight experience a lot faster than we could do an MMO," Shaefer told Gamasutra. He explained that Runic felt there was a void and wanted to fill it because, well, it "ran out of excuses not to do it." Kinda like how we're running out of excuses not to build a one-use time machine to Spring 2011.    
#2 Posted by Wortdog (34 posts) -

Thanks for the info GB!    

#3 Posted by MementoMori (189 posts) -

ffffff

#4 Posted by C2C (861 posts) -

I liked torchlight, but I think I'll wait till this one is on one of the ridiculous steam sales you see every so often.

#5 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Torchlight 3: Origins: MMO

#6 Posted by Wortdog (34 posts) -

I haven't played the first one.  Is there a demo anywhere?

#7 Posted by L1GHTN1N (553 posts) -

So, Torchlight 1 was like Diablo 1, now Torchlight 2 is going to be like... Diablo 2. Never saw this one coming...

#8 Posted by Rehehelly (414 posts) -

So it's becoming more like Diablo?

Awesome!

#9 Posted by HarpuaScorpio (11 posts) -

Pretty awesome! Can't wait!

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -

Oh, so it'll be like Diablo 2 whereas the first one was like Diablo.

#11 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" Oh, so it'll be like Diablo 2 whereas the first one was like Diablo. "
I came here to post that exact sentence!
#12 Posted by Gill (135 posts) -
#13 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

Hmmm, I really liked the feel of the first game, hope this doesn't turn the game into a boring slog from one city to the next.

#14 Posted by Innovacious (239 posts) -

There were 2 dungeons in Torchlight! Even more if you include the sidequest ones, dungeon scrolls and those mobs that open a portal to a bonus dungeon when you kill them (lots of items/gold in them).

Multiple dungeons wont really make much difference anywho, since its just pallet swaps and different enemy types. Oh wait, each one could have its own quests? Yeah... i didnt really follow story much in this type of game. There was an evil wizard or something... wasnt there?

Still looking forward to this though, i stopped playing torchlight for a while and now im starting to find it a bit difficult to get back into it, a whole new game would get me going again.

#15 Posted by DJKommunist (208 posts) -

Nver played the first torchlight wwas it any good?
#16 Posted by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

I liked the Torchlight demo - bought the game on Steam - never touched it since.

#17 Posted by ___pocalypse (554 posts) -
@Wortdog: Yep, on Steam. Also there's a PC demo through torchlightgame.com
#18 Posted by Kombak (8 posts) -

I can't wait!

#19 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

Co-op is always a good thing. Now how many players make up this whole co-op experience?

#20 Posted by TekZero (2691 posts) -

Consider me excited. 

#21 Posted by DeltaDreamer (113 posts) -

I thought they said the next "torchlight" game was going to be some sort of free 2 play mmo?

#22 Posted by fr0y0 (154 posts) -

Torchlight already made many things better than Diablo 2, in terms of gameplay, usability and technology (of course that last one is kind of obvious, given the age of D2). It was just immensely dumbed down. Now Torchlight II will bring more content and at the same time keep making things better? I'm in! Because honestly, I'm starting to be unable to stand the sight of D2. The last two times I started playing I kept thinking of what chores were ahead of me and stopped somewhere between lvl 30 and 40.

#23 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -
@MementoMori said:
" ffffff "
Hahahaha.
#24 Posted by Wortdog (34 posts) -
@___pocalypse: Thank you.
#25 Posted by Maxszy (2067 posts) -
@DeltaDreamer said:
" I thought they said the next "torchlight" game was going to be some sort of free 2 play mmo? "
Please. Read. Article. Thank you.
#26 Edited by YooNJuN (1 posts) -

Oh ? Torchlight II huh ? With MMO ?

#27 Posted by BoDoM (5 posts) -

Any word if Torchlight will be coming to other platforms in the future? XBLA perhaps?

#28 Posted by TheDuke (231 posts) -

I wonder how Diablo 3 would be if Blizzard North was still alive
they lose their jobs then fail at Flagship Studios but then start Runic can are looking to get 2 games out before Diablo 3 and maybe even the MMO in that time

#29 Posted by CornBREDX (6075 posts) -

The original is a nice diversion but I found my self enjoying Diablo 2 more when I decided to start playing it again. I dont know what it is, but Torchlight doesnt quite have what diablo does. 

The cartoony nature of it doesnt help.  

No biggy, its not a bad game. I'll definitely check the second one out at some point.

#30 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

that is a wonderful news, man after a bit i didnt want to see dungeon locales any more.

#31 Posted by DarthB (261 posts) -

this should be good.  i just started playing through the first one a couple days ago even though i got it on a steam sale a few months ago.

#32 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

Dungeon Siege.

#33 Posted by DJ_Lae (629 posts) -

So stoked. Here I was thinking the next Torchlight thing I could play would be some free to play MMO and now we're getting a proper sequel (with multiplayer no less). 

And it'll probably be out before Diablo 3.
#34 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" Oh, so it'll be like Diablo 2 whereas the first one was like Diablo. "
I came here to post that exact sentence! "
I came here prepared to quote these sentences!
#35 Posted by AmmyDog (61 posts) -
@C2C said:
"I liked torchlight, but I think I'll wait till this one is on one of the ridiculous steam sales you see every so often. "

Same here
#36 Posted by Nekthand (30 posts) -

Awesome.

#37 Posted by warmonked (376 posts) -

we should start taking wagers on how many Torchlight titles will be put out before Diablo 3.

#38 Posted by hpv (177 posts) -
@L1GHTN1N: If they hurry Diablo 3 can be like Torchlight 3!
#39 Posted by Garadon (90 posts) -
@BoDoM: Even if so, what's the point? Playing a hack n slash is much easier with a mouse, and the game runs on netbooks. The only reason I would see anyone buy this on a console would be for achievements/trophies, but then again, TC2 will probably have Steam achievements, maybe even a TF2 hat for preordering or something.
#40 Posted by MrHammeh (202 posts) -

Count me in!

#41 Edited by MuttersomeTaxicab (676 posts) -

Fuck yes.  
Between this and more DLC for Borderlands... The loot lust is building again.

#42 Posted by lordofultima (6287 posts) -

Awesome news, although I personally like the one town one dungeon approach. Nostalgia I guess.

#43 Posted by Undeadpool (5000 posts) -

So the makers of Diablo made a game very similar to Diablo and are now making a game very similar to Diablo 2...somehow I'm very ok with this.
#44 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Yes!  Without any co-op I can't find much motivation out of these kinds of loot games.  It'll be much more fun with coop.  I'd still like to see them do a Guild Wars style game where you can find people to group up with in the towns, and then go out into an instanced world.

#45 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Looks like PC gaming is on the revival.

Gogogogo

#46 Posted by tuksu (66 posts) -

Well, Torchlight II is nice game for those who are waiting Diablo III! I'm not saying that TLII is bad game.

#47 Posted by DonChipotle (2855 posts) -

I'm just glad for more Torchlight

#48 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (513 posts) -

So  pumped for this.

#49 Posted by SeaSquared (48 posts) -

I can't wait for this game. Torchlight was a good distraction even though it was fairly short

#50 Posted by RobertOrri (1159 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:
" So the makers of Diablo made a game very similar to Diablo and are now making a game very similar to Diablo 2...somehow I'm very ok with this. "
Haha, yeah. This feels very similar in progression, feature-wise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.