Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Torchlight

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Torchlight is a Diablo-style action RPG from Runic Games. The game features three classes, randomly generated dungeons, and lots and lots of loot.

Did anyone play Mythos?

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By threeve

Couple of years ago I got into the beta for Mythos which as I understand it was made by the people who now compose Runic Games.  At the time I was eagerly awaiting Hellgate:London from the same company (Flagship) though I didn't end up buying it after the terrible terrible review scores.  In the end, best I could tell, MMO greed got the better of the game and the company.  MMO Greed is defined by me as trying to make an MMO out of something that wasn't originally intended to be an MMO because some company is making a killing on their MMO which was designed to be an MMO (and has a bigger budget than you).

Mythos was also an MMO, and worse for it to me.  I played WoW for years, and that has contributed to my MMO-phobia.  They are such time sinks, with so little return.  I'd much rather play a single player game with a great story, or at least a game that I can play single player and still actually feel like I played the majority of the time that I was in the game.  Mythos was OK when I played it, but Torchlight is better.  Less quests more loot.

I can feel a little bit of the Mythos behind this game, but it has been a while and I didn't really play all that much.  Really enjoying Torchlight so far, but I have a question.  What is with the fishing?  Is it supposed to be fun?  It's worse than WoW fishing and that's saying something!  My only negative so far.  They seem to have a really good business model, making a discount priced game (I paid $5) with many many hours of potential gameplay.

I know this has been very scattered, but where I was going was to my concern about the franchise becoming an MMO.  Like I said, I don't like the concept of MMO very much.  The pay to play model really burns me in general, and the main thing is, if you're going to charge more than $5 a month it's really got to be better than WoW.  And let's face it - It's not going to be better than WoW.  It just feels like MMO greed to me.  Here we have a really cool game in Torchlight.  Let's not ruin it now.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok
    @threeve: Torchlight was always a precursor to the MMO. This has been said from the beginning.
    Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Althox

I did play Mythos, and enjoyed it allot. It had some issues with the quests, but not that big of a thing to annoy you. But yeah I can agreed with you that you can notice some things within Torchlight that's associating with Mythos, which is not that strange. But seeing Torchlight being an MMO brings my feelings down a bit, I like the more casual game-play and would love to see an expansion pack with more content and Multiplayer. They could earn more by doing that way than making an MMO (In my opinion).

Food

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Food

Yeah Mythos was basically just like Diablo 2 but you'd see other players running around town.  The 'MMO' aspect didn't really add much.  And then they tried the overworld toward the end of the game's life but it was a laggy mess.

swiftblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By swiftblade

I played Mythos through the beta-stage and wanted the finished product, but that never came. And I got Torchlight the day it got out on steam and I love it, I just don't play as much as I'd like. And about the MMO-part if you've listened to and read the interviews with Runic you would know that it won't be a Pay-To-Play-Game but a free to play with premium content(like DDO for example). And it's not based on Torchlight but rather in the same world/universe and possibly in another time period(probably after the events of Torchlight).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.