iPhone devs steal assets directly from Torchlight

#1 Posted by ztiworoh (731 posts) -

It looks like a game called Armed Heroes has directly pulled assets from Torchlight and is claiming them as their own. Runic put out the following comparison image:

The best part is the developer's incredibly confusing official response:

First of all, we have to say that it is a great shock hearing what Mr. Travis Baldree, president of Runic Games, said about Armed Heroes Onlinelast weekend. We can hardly agree with Mr. Travis Baldree who judged that EGLS “wholesale stole most of the assets from Torchlight!” only based on the similarity between several small monsters. The judgment is simply untenable. Armed heroes Online is an action MMO role-playing mobile game, however, Torchlight is a console PC game. Not only the platforms(Mobile devices vs. PC/Mac), but also game mechanics(multiplayer online vs. console), engine support( self-developed 3D engine vs. commercial authorized OGRE engine) , scenes and techniques employed in Armed Heroes Online developing are all largely different from Torchlight. ...Read More
#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Some of those are not Identical at all. but most are.

#3 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

I imagined the guy saying that official response as a British gentlemen with a large mustache and a monocle.

#4 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

China.

#5 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@ztiworoh said:

The judgment is simply untenable. Armed heroes Online is an action MMO role-playing mobile game, however, Torchlight is a console PC game.

What the hell does that have to do with stealing character designs?

#6 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

WTF is a "console PC game"?

I know what he was trying to say but the wording makes this guy sound like a moron.

#7 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

To be fair, it's an inspired response from the lady that does make a fair point about similarity between a lot of games in this genre and art style, but they straight up have models directly from torchlight. I guess they can get them off the app store but, it's china, they aren't gonna take shit from westerners.

#8 Posted by HatKing (5813 posts) -

This makes me more angry than any other bullshit IOS theft story I've ever heard. Torchlight is an amazing game and not enough people know about it, this prick is trying to capitalize on that and steal the awesome art design for his own game without the 'casual' crowd being any wiser. I hope this guy loses his job and never touches another game, and I hope the press from this gets Torchlight all sorts of attention.

#9 Posted by TheHT (10876 posts) -

Official response is nonsense.

"WE DON'T GET HOW THEY SAY ASSETS ARE THE SAME, EVERYTHING ELSE IS DIFFERENT!"

#10 Edited by cmblasko (1122 posts) -

The full response from the AH devs is hilarious, I suggest reading it for a good example of how not to attempt spinning a story in your favor.

Also, Patrick posts on the second page asking for communication with the AH devs. So, hopefully we get some hot scoops from this.

#11 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

The full response from the AH devs is hilarious, I suggest reading it for a good example of how not to attempt spinning a story in your favor.

I agree, I just read it, and it reads like a rant by an angry internet troll.

#12 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

Oh my god that full response is great. The funniest part is where they accuse Runic of stealing from Diablo II's design (you know, the fucking guys who made Diablos I and II).

#13 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

weSteal, weLieOutOurAsses.

#14 Posted by Ehker (235 posts) -

I can't get the app. Seems to be pulled.

#15 Posted by Danteveli (1160 posts) -

Since its company from China its quite normal. I have seen a lot of assets and artwork from "western" games in their stuff for PRC population.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.