So how bad IS the framerate on the 360?

#1 Posted by DrMadHatten (118 posts) -

I heard on the Quicklook the framerate drops considerably and it seems to be a real turn off, but Brad mentioned that it doesn't effect playability too bad. Does anyone have this already that can tell me if it totally would keep me from buying the game for the console?

#2 Posted by CrazyBagMan (836 posts) -

Sounds to me like occasionally it will chug for a few seconds when things get busy. Doesn't sounds too major, but I can't speak from personal experience.

#3 Posted by Sargus (723 posts) -

Playing through the main story (about 8 hours or so?) the game only chugged a little when things got really hectic. Definitely noticeable, but certainly not game breaking. 

However, when playing the post-story stuff, I started using the Aura of Thorns for the first time (I played a Destroyer), and when things would getting really crazy then, the slowdown seemed a LOT worse and seemed to last longer when it would happen. I don't know if the aura actually had anything to do with it or not, but I thought it worth mentioning. 

That said, while the slowdown is a problem (that I'm hoping they can at least reduce with a patch), I'd definitely recommend the game anyway. The PC version is better, sure - for more reasons than this - but the XBLA version is still great.

#4 Posted by DrMadHatten (118 posts) -

That's what I needed to hear. Thanks Sargus

#5 Posted by DrMadHatten (118 posts) -

My bad. Yes, totally getting it. I've had a count down on my computer and unless something drastic happened I would be playing it day one. I'll certainly blog about it for sure.

#6 Posted by Lukeweizer (2607 posts) -
@DrMadHatten said:
" I heard on the Quicklook the framerate drops considerably and it seems to be a real turn off, but Brad mentioned that it doesn't effect playability too bad. Does anyone have this already that can tell me if it totally would keep me from buying the game for the console? "
it did it on PC as well. Just when there's a lot of shit going on on screen. No big.
#7 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -
@Lukeweizer: Not on mine it didn't.
#8 Posted by ViciousReiven (818 posts) -

Question, is it actual slowdown, or hitching (plays a few frames, freezes a few frames)? 
I don't mind slowdown, and in intense moments it can be rather cool looking, but hitches are just horrid.

#9 Posted by Terrellism (41 posts) -
I think we should come away from this discussion with the following conclusion....It's time for a new Xbox. Maybe not necessarily a new PS3, seeing the system has a lot of power but hasn't really been fully utilized but the Xbox 360 is starting to show its age. And im an Xbox fan as well. 
#10 Posted by Lukeweizer (2607 posts) -
@TobbRobb said:
" @Lukeweizer: Not on mine it didn't. "
Did for me but it wasn't an issue. Shouldn't be an issue on consoles.
#11 Posted by ViciousReiven (818 posts) -
@TROJAN_IMPALA said:
" I think we should come away from this discussion with the following conclusion....It's time for a new Xbox. Maybe not necessarily a new PS3, seeing the system has a lot of power but hasn't really been fully utilized but the Xbox 360 is starting to show its age. And im an Xbox fan as well.  "
Or, you know, optimize better. If the console can play Vanquish, a very pretty game that renders every fucking bullet on screen without slowing down, which also happens to load ridiculously fast, then it should play this just as well as on a PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.