Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Torchlight

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Torchlight is a Diablo-style action RPG from Runic Games. The game features three classes, randomly generated dungeons, and lots and lots of loot.

Torchlight gameplay vids

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jmrwacko

I uploaded some gameplay vids of Torchlight, in case anyone is considering procuring a copy in some way. It's a real fun throwback to Diablo, far superior to Titan Quest even without multiplayer and a real addictive game to boot, with showers of epic drops and randomized dungeons. I'd recommend it even for $20 - I feel like the $5 deal from last weekend was a (no pun intended) gold strike.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fbomb

I forgot I had downloaded this. After completing the game, I stopped playing, because the endless dungeons made me realize all I was doing was clicking the mouse and shopping for better loot. I've wrecked this type of game and first person shooters for myself by distilling them down to their core mechanics in my mind, and realizing that it's just low-cognitive-level repetition. Still, I'd recommend this game to anyone who still likes a Diablo-style of game, because they're going to have a ton of fun. I also don't recommend analyzing game mechanics to better understand how you're spending your time, because there's a chance you may not be able to play certain games anymore.

Oh, almost forgot Turn-Based RPGs too. 80% of the game is spend grinding the same monsters with the same actions, for 5% time-spend in story that's better conveyed in other mediums. I honestly don't know if I should be mad that I've become overly analytical, or that I've invested so many hours of my life into things that now don't seem fun--probably the former, because I do remember really enjoying them back when I played them for the sake of playing.

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ratcabbage

I bought the game when it was on sale for 5 bucks and it was, like you said, "a gold strike". I was a huge Diablo 2 fan and Torchlight got the nostalgic feelings flowing pretty quickly. I would have definitely paid the full price of $20 for this had I done my due diligence and researched it earlier.This game shouldn't be missed by fans of the genre. Thanks for the post and the vids.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By sixghost
    @Fbomb said:
    " I forgot I had downloaded this. After completing the game, I stopped playing, because the endless dungeons made me realize all I was doing was clicking the mouse and shopping for better loot. I've wrecked this type of game and first person shooters for myself by distilling them down to their core mechanics in my mind, and realizing that it's just low-cognitive-level repetition. Still, I'd recommend this game to anyone who still likes a Diablo-style of game, because they're going to have a ton of fun. I also don't recommend analyzing game mechanics to better understand how you're spending your time, because there's a chance you may not be able to play certain games anymore.  Oh, almost forgot Turn-Based RPGs too. 80% of the game is spend grinding the same monsters with the same actions, for 5% time-spend in story that's better conveyed in other mediums. I honestly don't know if I should be mad that I've become overly analytical, or that I've invested so many hours of my life into things that now don't seem fun--probably the former, because I do remember really enjoying them back when I played them for the sake of playing. "
    What kind of attitude is this? You can reduce almost every genre down to stuff like this.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

I made one a loooong time ago. Pretty low level but I put some cool music in it.   :P

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Demyx

Thanks dude, I got 3 of my friends to start playing this game. Love it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.