Torchlight Heading To Consoles Soonish, Probably

• 102 results
Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

Back in 2009, Runic Games founder and Diablo/Diablo II Lead Designer Max Schaefer stopped by the Giant Bomb offices to talk about his recently released action-RPG, Torchlight. During that interview, Schaefer reiterated that Torchlight was designed and released primarily to help bring in revenue that could be put towards the development of a free-to-play MMO based on the world and gameplay mechanics of Torchlight.

Little did Schaefer guess that the tiny, budget-priced RPG, would turn out to be a modest hit: to date, Torchlight has sold 750,000 copies, and Runic has responded to its success with gusto: the team has pushed aside work on the Torchlight MMO and has instead moved to the recently revealed, online-enabled Torchlight II. Furthermore, beyond the Torchlight sequel, it sounds like Runic has plans to bring the original Torchlight to some new platforms: namely, the consoles.

== TEASER ==Over at Gamescom last week, Schaefer told Joystiq that Runic Games has been working on a console port of Torchlight to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 for some time, and the company is now in talks with both Microsoft and Sony to release the game on XBLA and PSN. While nothing official has been announced, Schaefer is "hoping" to have the console versions of Torchlight out by the holidays. 

Between the game's critical and commercial reception on the PC, and the mention of the holiday release date, I imagine that Runic is hoping to get the console versions of Torchlight out before the Spring 2011 release of Torchlight II. I certainly would love to see a version of Torchlight on my television screen. I mean, I already liked other console loot-focused action-RPGs, like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. But wouldn't all of those games be better if they let you go on adventures with a dog?

And for the record; In Torchlight, you get a dog.

If that's not worth $15, I don't know what is.

#1 Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

Back in 2009, Runic Games founder and Diablo/Diablo II Lead Designer Max Schaefer stopped by the Giant Bomb offices to talk about his recently released action-RPG, Torchlight. During that interview, Schaefer reiterated that Torchlight was designed and released primarily to help bring in revenue that could be put towards the development of a free-to-play MMO based on the world and gameplay mechanics of Torchlight.

Little did Schaefer guess that the tiny, budget-priced RPG, would turn out to be a modest hit: to date, Torchlight has sold 750,000 copies, and Runic has responded to its success with gusto: the team has pushed aside work on the Torchlight MMO and has instead moved to the recently revealed, online-enabled Torchlight II. Furthermore, beyond the Torchlight sequel, it sounds like Runic has plans to bring the original Torchlight to some new platforms: namely, the consoles.

== TEASER ==Over at Gamescom last week, Schaefer told Joystiq that Runic Games has been working on a console port of Torchlight to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 for some time, and the company is now in talks with both Microsoft and Sony to release the game on XBLA and PSN. While nothing official has been announced, Schaefer is "hoping" to have the console versions of Torchlight out by the holidays. 

Between the game's critical and commercial reception on the PC, and the mention of the holiday release date, I imagine that Runic is hoping to get the console versions of Torchlight out before the Spring 2011 release of Torchlight II. I certainly would love to see a version of Torchlight on my television screen. I mean, I already liked other console loot-focused action-RPGs, like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. But wouldn't all of those games be better if they let you go on adventures with a dog?

And for the record; In Torchlight, you get a dog.

If that's not worth $15, I don't know what is.

#2 Posted by White_Silhouette (473 posts) -

not sure how much better it will be unless they put in multiplayer.

#3 Posted by VilgeDuin (22 posts) -

Awesome gibberish Jeknod.

Good to see Torchlight coming to consoles. Will probably buy it on the PSN.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21643 posts) -

Kessler?!? So he's still staff then. =S 

Anywhoo major yayness! My computer can just barely run torchlight it's that unprepared for games so definitely looking forward to this so I can play without any annoying slow down or frame rate hitchs <3

#5 Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -
@White_Silhouette:  It sounds like, if Torchlight does come to consoles, it probably won't have online play of any type. Torchlight on consoles is going to be just regular Torchlight.
#6 Posted by Shaka999 (480 posts) -

If I hadn't already bought it for my laptop I'd definitely think about getting this for XBLA

#8 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

Already got it on PC, but I imagine this will actually work pretty well on consoles. Good to hear it'll reach a wider audience, the game is fantastic.

#9 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

You have a "pet", not a dog. Get it right Kessler!  :P

#10 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

When is Diablo 3 coming out again?

#11 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

What? Really? Ok...more money for the sequel I guess.

#12 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Speaking of Champions of Norrath, why hasn't a game like that come out for the current-gen consoles yet? And are there any on the way?

#13 Posted by Jeknod (228 posts) -
@MattBodega: Cats are superior to dogs. 

SUCK IT
#14 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -

Chilling on the couch getting loot is exactly what I want.  Hope this comes out. 
#15 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -

i'm like 4 hours or so into the PC version and rarely think to play it. 

if it was on my 360 HDD i'd probably be more inclined to play more of it.

#16 Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -
@JJWeatherman:  No, you're misremembering. In Torchlight, you have a dog, or you have a WHO CARES CAUSE IT AIN'T A DOG.
#17 Posted by Sil3n7 (1189 posts) -

Dogs are always worth 15 dollars.
#18 Edited by Coleslaw893 (409 posts) -

Color me excited. 

Dogs make everything more awesome.

#19 Posted by MisterMouse (3554 posts) -

Torchlight is a solid game, just after a bit it got pretty repetitive but hopefully that will be better in Torchlight 2... well of to go play some torchlight right now.

#20 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

hey put it on the consoles and i will pick it up

#21 Posted by Peacemaker (1104 posts) -

Torchlight was the best 5 bucks I spent.  I'd buy the console sequel if it comes out. 

#22 Posted by GottaBelieve (17 posts) -

Why haven't I been playing this game?

#23 Posted by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -

Oh, hell yeah! Torchlight for points!

#24 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I'm not a fan of MMO's, but I'm kinda getting interested on this one.

#25 Posted by arcadmix (41 posts) -

Hmm I wonder how long their postponing work the mmo. This might be a better move for them.

#26 Posted by OldManLight (846 posts) -

dont  pass on this one guys, its better than the usual run of the mill crap that goes on xbla.

#27 Posted by august (3845 posts) -
@KillyDarko said:
"I'm not a fan of MMO's, but I'm kinda getting interested on this one. "

It's not an MMO, and neither is Torchlight 2. I think they scrapped the MMO idea for a while after the success of Torchlight 1.
#28 Posted by IBurningStar (2173 posts) -

Well, I'm sold. Great interview. That guy seemed awesome and everything he said really convinced me that a free to play Torchlight MMO could be a good game.

#29 Posted by Glak (613 posts) -

Yay for Torchlight!

#30 Edited by DarthB (251 posts) -

i love these kind of interviews.  feels like he was sincere and is actually passionate about games.  also seems like he is a gamer, not just some schlub who only does it because he can make a living at it.
can't wait to see how torchlight 2 turns out!  gonna be great, loving the first one so far.  i'm sad to say my gf has played it more than i have so far.

#31 Posted by rav2002 (32 posts) -

I wouldn't mind seeing a local mp version of Torchlight for consoles, but I doubt it will ever happen.

#32 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

Let's hope Mr.Schaefer gets along with Sony and Microsoft then! Would love to have this on my console, even if it's the first Torchlight.

#33 Posted by lolpatlol (1 posts) -

Hope the coming Torchlight games are a bit more fleshed out than the first one...

#34 Posted by Zidane_24 (738 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" You have a "pet", not a dog. Get it right Kessler!  :P "
Yeah, but who gets the cat? C'mon.
#35 Posted by zepp (230 posts) -
@Zidane_24:  I choose the cat!!! To bad it wasn't really a cat but a bobcat.
#36 Posted by Lazyaza (2183 posts) -

Huh, I thought it was already out on consoles.

Well as someone who played it for a good 30 hours or so on PC I gotta say its the closest thing to Diablo 3 you'll find atm, freaking awesome game.  Short and a bit simple/repetitive but awesome.

#37 Posted by Oni (2098 posts) -

A modest hit is putting it... modestly. For a download-only game, over 750k sales is a monster hit, in my book. Good on them!

#38 Posted by ___pocalypse (561 posts) -

Totally into this.

#39 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

I can't imagine it will control very well without a mouse.

#40 Posted by foxhound421 (78 posts) -

i'm gonna buy the shit out of this game.

#41 Posted by yinstarrunner (1199 posts) -

I don't get it.  I'm pretty sure Torchlight could run on ANY computer made within the last 5 years.  It's not a demanding game, and it controls better with a M&K than I imagine it would on a gamepad.

I'd rather them spend their time making Torchlight II than porting the original.

#42 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

God i need to play my pc version of this more, but if you can give me trophies/achievements for this then i am yours  guys - seriously, here take my ass and do as you will

#43 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Got it on PC, will buy as many copies of this as I need to  to make sure an MMO is made.

#44 Posted by BaconGames (3417 posts) -
@MattBodega said:
" @JJWeatherman:  No, you're misremembering. In Torchlight, you have a dog, or you have a WHO CARES CAUSE IT AIN'T A DOG. "
@JJWeatherman said:
" You have a "pet", not a dog. Get it right Kessler!  :P "
@Jeknod said:
" @MattBodega: Cats are superior to dogs. 

SUCK IT "
Eff all o' y'all.  My dungeon crawling FERRET would kick any other pet's ass.  Sadly it wasn't available out of the box but a quick download with Torchleech changes all that.
#45 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

They're still working on the MMO version, but it's farther out than Torchlight 2 at this point. 

I mean really though, if it hits consoles without multiplayer, it's not worth getting a second time.

#46 Posted by radioactivez0r (847 posts) -
@Oni said:
" A modest hit is putting it... modestly. For a download-only game, over 750k sales is a monster hit, in my book. Good on them! "
It does retail in stores, but I imagine the vast majority of that is digital.  750k, though, that's really impressive.  And I can't see them adding MP to the console version since it would a) piss off people who already own it and b) cut into sales of #2.
#47 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

Whoa, a full interview.  NICE.

Sounds cool where they're going, but I have no expectations.  If they pull off an MMO Guild Wars style, I think they'll do fine.  Console version... I hope it at least has some sort of multiplayer.  Even if it's limited to two players.  I'd probably still get it though, if it was single only.  Rather 'gamepad it than mouse for long periods of time.

#48 Posted by myketuna (1697 posts) -
@dvorak:  Yeah, I don't think this is for the people who have it already. For the most part, no one that owns and plays primarily consoles knows about/has played Torchlight. So this would be cool for the console-centric folk. I just hope it's a better port than the first Diablo was on the PlayStation.
#49 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

If you put the quotation marks around "explore" rather than "hopefully," the story snippet instantly becomes inappropriate.

#50 Edited by Demyx (3237 posts) -

If the sequel was released on consoles I would consider getting it, but the first runs fine on my PC and probably most PC's. Excited for the sequel though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.