Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Torchlight

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Torchlight is a Diablo-style action RPG from Runic Games. The game features three classes, randomly generated dungeons, and lots and lots of loot.

why is this the only decent diablo style game on the 360

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By phrali

plz someone make one, i will give you my money i promise, i'll buy two copies i swear 

i don't understand it, it's not like diablo and diablo 2 didn't make a butt ton of money, right? there's 8 million COD clones and one diablo clone? W T F

or can someone suggest a GOOD dungeon crawler for my 360? PLEASE?  

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel. The game has a lot of technical problems but it's the closest thing you'll come to a Diablo on the consoles.  

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I had the game for the PS3 and technically it was annoying. I've never seen so much pop-in and slowdown in a top-down game before. I'm not sure if there is much of a difference between the two versions but just be warned.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By phrali

i tried sacred 2. i was just like "how is a 15 dollar XBLA port this much better than a full retail game" 

i don't really care about the graphics issues, honestly. what bothered me was the controls, i felt like i had no control over what my character was doing. i would try to smack a dude that was in my face with a hammer, but instead i end up shooting marshmallows at some dude on the other side of the screen while in my face dude hacked my face off

shamroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By shamroll

Torchlight and Bastion seem like the most similar to Diablo you are going to get.  You should try dungeons of dredmor on the PC too.  I had never played a Rogue-like game before but I like it.  It doesn't seem graphically intense and it's only 5 dollars on Steam.  I was a huge Diablo2 fan by the way.  

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ventilaator

At first I read the topic title as "Why is the only decent diablo-style game on the 360" and WTF'd hard.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

maybe it's the only decent one because Torchlight is made by the guys who made Diablo :D

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By phrali

bastion was great for like 3 days.....@Marz said:

maybe it's the only decent one because Torchlight is made by the guys who made Diablo :D
    yeah but come on, is it really that hard to design a game like this? maybe it is, i don't know how to write code, i could be wrong, but srsly i have to believe that it would be technically easier to make one of these games than a multiplayer FPS
    Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it helps any, Torchlight 2 is suppose to come this year. I think.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I'm totally with ya.
    I'm not saying rip off the game and copy it, but hell look at how popular Torchlight got fast, I'm sure that Torch 2 will sell decent (if it ever comes out).

The concept's gold, so bloody use it, don't change it.
    Change the first person shooters, they're in a bind, but games like these are needed badly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just play Diablo 2... it's still unsurpassed.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrMuscle

Crimson alliance looks pretty good, ill definately give that a try when it comes after the summer of arcade.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

Yeah I agree, I want more games of this type on my 360. Back in the days of the PS2, I used to play a lot of these games (Champions of Norrath, Dark Alliance etc)

@Turtlebird95 said:

Torchlight sucks.

On-topic: Deathspank? Bastion?

Also...

1. Not really, it's "good" but not great

2. Deathspank sucks

3. No. Diablo 1 and especially 2 are by miles the best games of their kind. There's not one game that's remotely close to the Diablo games. Even Titan Quest is a huge step down (but still a good game).

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

You should go play Titan Quest on the PC.  It's a little old, but it plays great and it's a lot of fun, plus it's pretty cheap now.  When on sale, you can get it and it's sequel, TQ: Immortal Throne for less than $10.   Regular Steam price is $20 for the pair, I think.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By pweidman

Under represented genre on consoles, agreed. However, Too Human was a great crawler/loot game on 360, as was Sacred 2. Crimson Alliance might be fun for a while this September. Torchlight was great and Torchlight 2 will come out for 360 as well some time later this year. And btw, Blizzard has plans to port Diablo 3 to 360 & PS3 some time after it drops for pc.....that is what I can't wait for, that and it actually being released on pc, lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@CptBedlam: I do agree on Deathspank sucks, but the OP asked for games that were similar to Diablo on Xbox 360.

Honestly I think Diablo is overrated as hell. I don't see what's so special about it besides the loot.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zithe

@Turtlebird95 said:

Honestly I think Diablo is overrated as hell. I don't see what's so special about it besides the loot.

Diablo-style action RPGs are my favorite games, provided they are online. If you haven't played Diablo II or some other variant that actually has decent online play, then you haven't really seen what the genre is capable of. I'm not really sure what it is exactly, but something about having your persistent character that you take around from game to game online allows it to have the same addiction/appeal of something like World of Warcraft.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ninjakiller

@CptBedlam: @Turtlebird95: Deathspank is fucking terrible, but I forced myself to beat the first one, and got 15 minutes into the second one before throwing in the towel.

@CptBedlam: After BGDA2 bombed and helped kill off Interplay videogame makers became skittish of these kind of games on consoles.

@phrali: Daggerdale was supposed to be a resurgance of these type of games, but has been panned as being utter shit.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ninjakiller

@Zithe: Online? I had a blast playing BGDA and BGDA 2 with my buddy in front of the tv, duping items, etc etc.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zithe

@ninjakiller: I'm sure you did. I wasn't even considering local multiplayer. I was just saying that these games generally bore me when they are single player.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CptBedlam

@Turtlebird95 said:

@CptBedlam: I do agree on Deathspank sucks, but the OP asked for games that were similar to Diablo on Xbox 360. Honestly I think Diablo is overrated as hell. I don't see what's so special about it besides the loot.

Except from the best system of the various gameplay mechanics in the genre ... I'd say the unique presentation. Sound and the graphics style generated a very intense atmosphere. Some players don't even realize these aspects but they are a part of why they like the game over others like, say, Titan Quest etc. And this is also why I'm not happy with Diablo 3.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zithe

@CptBedlam:

For me, I think it was much less atmosphere and more of the mechanics that hooked me in Diablo II. I like to look at action RPGs as toys where I can create several different character strategies and see how well they hold up against the onslaught of monsters. The emphasis on spending stat and skill points however I like and gearing up for specific builds is what keeps me playing for hours and hours. This is why I'm super excited for Diablo III.

I played a bit of Titan Quest as well, but I felt like the balance was a little off in that game. I remember thinking that game was really tough most of the time, but then I could find one item and suddenly become a god for the next 5 levels or so. The difficulty balance and overall experience didn't feel as smooth or consistent as it was in Diablo. Plus, trading items with players online is a large part of the game for me and Titan Quest's online play was flaky at best.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CptBedlam

@Zithe: I'm a sucker for strong atmosphere in games and Diablo 1 & 2 offered me this too (apart from the awesome game mechanics). Awesome soundtrack, grim looks, great videos. It was an allaround great product which is why it had the mass appeal that allowed it to become a cult game.

And I watch videos of Diablo 3, I try to like it but it never clicks. Watching this it never feels like a Diablo game. It reminds me more of some random hack n slay like Sacred 2, Torchlight or whatever. The look is just too derivative. It doesn't have enough character.

I'm not fond of Blizzard's 3D graphic style in general. With Warcraft 3, they lost me.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

Because there's no real market for console Diablo games. Torchlight's an exception, not the rule.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CptBedlam

@Video_Game_King said:

Because there's no real market for console Diablo games. Torchlight's an exception, not the rule.

Who says that? And why is Torchlight an exception when it's the only real Diablo-clone on consoles?

The console success of Torchlight shows that console gamers want this kind of games, too. Put out a great one and it'll sell millions (Torchlight was "good"),

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zithe

@CptBedlam:

You want to hear something really unfortunate? I was already aware that there is supposed to be a major Diablo III announcement coming tomorrow, and not ten minutes after making my last post I read a rumor online that the announcement might be the removal of skill points in Diablo III. If the rumor has any merit, you will simply choose which skills you want and they will get more powerful automatically as your character levels up. I'm not sure how I feel about this. We'll see what happens tomorrow I guess.... :/

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CptBedlam

@Zithe said:

@CptBedlam:

You want to hear something really unfortunate? I was already aware that there is supposed to be a major Diablo III announcement coming tomorrow, and not ten minutes after making my last post I read a rumor online that the announcement might be the removal of skill points in Diablo III. If the rumor has any merit, you will simply choose which skills you want and they will get more powerful automatically as your character levels up. I'm not sure how I feel about this. We'll see what happens tomorrow I guess.... :/

I'm not really waiting for D3 anyway. There has already been too much streamlining with that game. No "Tetris"-inventory (I liked shifting around my stuff to free more space; looking forward to Deus Ex HR btw, game's inventory is oldschool), health orbs (I liked potions and even potion spamming; made you feel awesome when I freshly stacked up on potions in the town). I also liked having to go back to town to sell my stuff frequently and having to decide what stuff to leave when the inventory was full. All these little limits and obstacles made the game more interesting to me. Now it seems everything is streamlined and designed to keep you slashing stuff non-stop. But I think just combat with no interruptions makes for a more monotonous experience. I really liked the shift of pace ... the repeated visits to the town/s etc.

Looks like they already backpaddled a little bit by putting town portals back into the game but it's not enough for me.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FritzDude

I don't know... I really enjoyed Sacred 2 for the consoles, apart from all the technical issues and the lack of any support, which could be better if they only had money.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phrali
    @Video_Game_King said:
    have you seen the garbage that comes out for consoles every day? i promise you there is more of a market for this than for something like fruit ninja kinect
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @phrali said:
    @Video_Game_King said:
    have you seen the garbage that comes out for consoles every day? i promise you there is more of a market for this than for something like fruit ninja kinect
    Glad to see somebody trying to outstupid my post.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Three0neFive

Because controller.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By project343

I'd recommend moving into the non-top-down genre of WRPGs. Like Two Worlds II, and Oblivion.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jozzy

Isn't that new Dungeon Siege game similar to diablo? I didn't really enjoy the controls in the demo so I didn't really get on with it. I am also cautiously looking forward to Crimson Alliance.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By mosdl

If Torchlight sold well on 360 we would be seeing more clones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.