Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Torchlight

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Torchlight is a Diablo-style action RPG from Runic Games. The game features three classes, randomly generated dungeons, and lots and lots of loot.

Why you NEED to play Torchlight!

lstill01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lstill01

Torchlight shouldn’t just be a blip on your radar, it should be a massive unidentified mass that will grab hold of you and never let go. I realize those unidentified radar targets are usually Godzilla, or a Russian submarine. In this case, it’s Torchlight.

Do the names Max and Erich Schaefer mean anything to you? They should. While Jay Wilson and the rest of Blizzard North continued onward to glory after the release of Diablo II, the Schaefer brothers departed to follow their vision for what an action-RPG game could be.

Did I mention they were Diablo’s original designers? They were into Diablo before Diablo was cool, man. Imagine if Diablo’s addictive mechanics were refined for a decade and the distracting fat was stripped away. What are you left with? No, not Diablo 3; Torchlight.

Runic Games will finally release Torchlight on October 27th. Its budget price and low profile will likely result in the game being criminally underplayed, but I’m here to do a few of you a favor and convince you to give it a shot.

Summary for those who appreciate brevity:

Runic is brutally honest about this game. They’re not trying to spin it as anything but a Diablo clone with minor improvements. They specifically say ‘if you know Diablo, you know our game.’ If you don’t want more Diablo, look elsewhere, but if, like me, Diablo III inspires substantial enthusiasm, Torchlight is worth a look. It’s cheap, it is refined and most importantly, it’s out on Tuesday and not in 2020.

Think of it this way: worst case scenario you waste $20 on Torchlight instead of $60 for a full priced game, and you still have $40 left over for drugs. Play your cards right, and you still may get those 10-20 hours of entertainment.    

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

I've removed the links directing people to your site where this article is posted. We don't mind seeing people try to get their content outside of Giant Bomb some feedback by posting it here, what we do not appreciate is people trying to leech traffic by cross posting onto our forum and linking to their own personal sites or blogs etc.

So please refrain from doing so in the future :)

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Alex_V
    @Hamz said:
    " I've removed the links directing people to your site where this article is posted. We don't mind seeing people try to get their content outside of Giant Bomb some feedback by posting it here, what we do not appreciate is people trying to leech traffic by cross posting onto our forum and linking to their own personal sites or blogs etc.  So please refrain from doing so in the future :) "
    That seems like a shame and will cost Giantbomb some content. I certainly wouldn't post if I couldn't link to my blog somewhere in it.

As for the main thread, I am very excited about this release but I haven't seen a single proper review of the game yet. Which is very disappointing.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By demonbear

I wouldve bought it any other week, but this week is borderland on the pc and its scratching the same look itch. But later on, sure why not? Cant be worse than Hellgate London... right?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hamz
    @Alex_V: We like to think of it as a two way street, contribute to Giant Bomb and we in return are more inclined to perhaps allow the odd blog linking your podcast, private website and content. But simply coming to the site and posting a topic where the original post is riddled with links back to your own site when you have 42 posts and 0 wiki points sort of gets frown upon by us :)
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Ineedaname

You say it's out on Tuesday? Which means you haven't actually played it you're just going of what you've seen, and throwing out some names.
    Tell me why I NEED to play Torchlight when you've played it.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Crono
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Kohe321

I saw this on steam today and it looked interesting. I'll probably buy it.

Papirfisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Papirfisk

Thanks for the tip!

Checked out some trailers and pre-purchased on steam ^^

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Geno

How would you compare it to Titan Quest? 

dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By dopeman
    @Alex_V:  It's fair enough though.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Crono
    @Geno said:
    " How would you compare it to Titan Quest?  "
    All that and a whole lot more is what it looks like.  But I haven't had the chance to play it, but I have been keeping up with the game quite close since PAX.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By PureRok
    @Geno said:
    " How would you compare it to Titan Quest?  "
    Well...

Titan Quest blew, Diablo is godlike.

This is made by the guys who did Diablo.

Comparison: Torchlight > Titan Quest. I haven't looked at this game (or even knew about it). All I know is from the first post.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Geno

Well, I enjoyed Titan quest a lot, but I admit it needed improvements. My question is, if these guys did the original Diablo why aren't they working on Diablo 3 rather than making a Diablo-esque game on their own? 

lstill01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lstill01

Obviously I haven't played it as it's not out yet ... I'm just saying it's $18 if you preorder on Steam and it has great pedigree, and addicting mechanics ... why not give it a shot.  

It's like if Valve was coming out with a new game that everybody was ignoring ... and I was saying 'hey, you should really give this a shot' ... well the original Diablo guys should really have a higher profile especially after all they've gone through to get this game out.
    lstill01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lstill01

Also I guess I just don't care about the Giant Bomb wiki that's why I don't contribute to it ... I've barely even read anything on the site ... Giant Bomb's entire value to me is the quick looks and the forums so that's what I come for ...
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By PureRok
    @Geno said:

" Well, I enjoyed Titan quest a lot, but I admit it needed improvements. My question is, if these guys did the original Diablo why aren't they working on Diablo 3 rather than making a Diablo-esque game on their own?  "

They worked at Blizzard North, which was closed down, if I remember, effectively laying them off. They actually had Diablo 3 almost done, but Blizzard scrapped it and basically fired everyone, or something.

Also, I found this article on the Steam forums about the art direction they took for the game.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4123/from_the_ashes_of_mythos_the_art_.php
    intercryllic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By intercryllic

The composer is what really draws me to Torchlight. That and the extreme mod capabilities!

Norb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Norb

Oh how I can't wait to get home and play.  Preordered last week.  For some reason it wasn't "released" until noon today..  I don't know if their headquarters is in a weird place where the time difference would be around 12 hours.  I would have liked to play early this morning, but I can wait.  It gives me something to look forward to at the end of the work day.  Oh, and Alchemist for me!
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By jimbo_n
    @Intercryllic said:
    "The composer is what really draws me to Torchlight. That and the extreme mod capabilities! "

Yea Matt Uelmen is the real reason everyone needs to play this one sooner or later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.