Holy crap this game is flooring my PC

#1 Edited by tehsorrow (64 posts) -

I've got a i5 2500k and a 580 but I cant even keep up a constant 60 FPS in this game. The lower settings make everything look really blurry or something though

#2 Posted by Yesiamaduck (674 posts) -

Creative Assembly always release games poorly optimized, shouldn't be surprised really, but it still stinks!

#3 Edited by Korwin (2726 posts) -

Simulating that many troops at once is costly, not to mention rendering them all. Total War has always pushed the hardware at the time of release through sheer scale.

#4 Posted by bigjeffrey (4176 posts) -

If it's under 60 it's garbage.

#5 Posted by gike987 (1721 posts) -

Game runs fine for me (GPU: 670 CPU: i7-3770k). Most things on extreme. You don't really need constant 60FPS in these games.

#6 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Good thing I suck at strategy games then, because we share the same specs.

#7 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1453 posts) -
#8 Edited by 2HeadedNinja (1453 posts) -
#9 Posted by Fattony12000 (6378 posts) -

Turn your resolution and AA and AS down, and your vsync and depth of field and crazy smoke/shadow effects off. Grab the latest NVIDIA drivers and try with smaller unit sizes.

#10 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

Turn your resolution and AA and AS down, and your vsync and depth of field and crazy smoke/shadow effects off. Grab the latest NVIDIA drivers and try with smaller unit sizes.

Apparently you're the only one in this thread who has played a TW game before.

If it's running slow, manipulate the settings until something works. Also, you don't NEED 60fps in R2.

Creative Assembly always release games poorly optimized, shouldn't be surprised really, but it still stinks!

How exactly are you able to claim this game is poorly optimized? Please fill me in, because this is the only title with this engine currently on the market. It isn't like a bad port in Unreal 3. This is probably the most advanced game currently on the PC in terms of raw scale and fidelity. So relative to what game, is this game badly optimized?

#11 Posted by Donkeycow (552 posts) -

Why on earth do you need 60 fps? So long as you're happy with how it looks Total War is fine with 30fps+.

#13 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -

I don't get that logic, its a strategy game, not Street Fighter III.

#14 Posted by Regal (428 posts) -

You guys have to understand that apart from racing games, turn based strategy games (with real time elements) really need that 60fps, at least.

Imagine for yourself if the enemy force is deploying artillery on your flank, or if Carthage rejected your trade proposal. Your twitch-response to these situations is critical. Taking a pause for strategy and tactics is for sissies, and if it ran like a first- or third-person action game I wouldn't even see what I was doing. Rome wasn't built in day but it sure as hell wasn't that slow.

#15 Posted by Rowr (5253 posts) -

@jace said:

@fattony12000 said:

If it's running slow, manipulate the settings until something works. Also, you don't NEED 60fps in R2.

@yesiamaduck said:

How exactly are you able to claim this game is poorly optimized? Please fill me in, because this is the only title with this engine currently on the market. It isn't like a bad port in Unreal 3. This is probably the most advanced game currently on the PC in terms of raw scale and fidelity. So relative to what game, is this game badly optimized?

It's true they are often poorly optimised. Often some settings are broken entirely. Take shogun 2 for instance, even years later it's costly effects don't scale nicely with new cards.

Downloading the nvidia drivers wont do you much good either since unless there's been a driver update in the last hour or two there isn't a new one yet.

So far it does have that total war jankiness as far as the graphics go, the usual pop-in (funny you happen to mention the unreal engine) and AA that doesn't seem to do anything.

Hopefully nvidia has a driver in store that won't do absolutely nothing, I'm running a GTX 690, and though it looks pretty good (at times) It's definitely not making the most of the card.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another company of heroes 2.

#16 Posted by Rowr (5253 posts) -

Also the responsiveness of the camera between 30 and 60 fps is pretty noticable despite everyone being a smart ass about it.

Sure it's playable at 30fps, but i'd rather turn the settings down and get consistent 50+

#17 Edited by Sanity (1853 posts) -

Runs fine on my 6970 on a mix of high and ultra, some dips when its going nuts but otherwise pretty stable, better then Empire when it came out....

#18 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4687 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

I don't get that logic, its a strategy game, not Street Fighter III.

Sarcasm, ask for it by name!

#19 Edited by Bamsen (330 posts) -

Listen to Tony, this worked wonders for me. And yeah its way better than when Empire came out, because that game ran like shit

#20 Posted by Veektarius (4172 posts) -

I've got a new video card on its way from California, due to arrive tomorrow. Thought I'd take a look with my 6870... I made it about five minutes before a power outage stopped me. What I saw was enough to keep me from going back until my computer is good and ready.

#21 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

@jace said:

@fattony12000 said:

If it's running slow, manipulate the settings until something works.

I've never herd dat recipe before, is it l3git?

#22 Posted by Jimbo (9712 posts) -

Performance is totally fucked for me. I get ~28fps on the Capua prologue bit using the Low setting. ~15fps if I use the Extreme setting it defaults to.

I5-2500k, 8gb ram, HD 6950 2gb

#23 Edited by Fattony12000 (6378 posts) -
@jace said:

@fattony12000 said:

It's almost like I've been playing this video game series for 13 years!

God damn, it's been 13 years since that first game came out.

TW games are always pretty rough on performance to start with.

#24 Posted by Jimbo (9712 posts) -

Performance is totally fucked for me. I get ~28fps on the Capua prologue bit using the Low setting. ~15fps if I use the Extreme setting it defaults to.

I5-2500k, 8gb ram, HD 6950 2gb

#25 Posted by Jimbo (9712 posts) -

A double-post with a minute gap. Nice.

#26 Posted by tehsorrow (64 posts) -

I actually did fiddle with the settings and got it working quite nicely, but I think they might be having launch day woes. The news story on steam for it is a forum post saying they are fixing graphic issues. Really liking the fame although starting as Carthage is pretty tough

#27 Edited by Dragon_Fire (358 posts) -

I don't think people understand the difference between the 500 and 600 Geforce in just power. Kelper makes the 600 series almost 2 times more powerful then the 500 series. So of course people who have 600 - 700 are going to get way better performance.

On Topic: Total war games have always pushed how much shit you can have on the screen.

#28 Posted by Finalcell (22 posts) -

Having some performance troubles myself, ugly textures, jittering and bad fps. But the worst so far is a bug at the end of the first prologue campaign which makes it impossible to unlock the second. I finish the last fight, watch the cinematic and get booted back to the main menu. I've tried loading and replaying it several times, but still doesn't unlock : /

#29 Edited by buckybit (1460 posts) -

Depending on your PC and video card, you can get above 30-40 FPS with everything on the max settings, EXCEPT "Alpha Vegetation" (which is "Alpha-to-coverage" multisampling, used in games for foliage and grass). This in combination with SSAO and DOF on high can bring your PC down.

I tested the Teutoburg Forest Benchmark level for an hour, playing around with one setting change at a time, running each, multiple times. Anti-Aliasing didn't "hit" the framerate, neither does VSync "on".

The card I used for testing was a low-entry DX 11 card, GTX 650 Ti BOOST (the BOOST part, means, it's a Kepler architecture based card, 32nm tech - unlike the regular 650s (=old hats/chips - see also comment above)). 2 GB of VRAM seems to make a difference. Using Shader Model above 3 (as in 5) turns on all the DX 11 features. You can manually edit the config file found in "\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\scripts" called "preferences.script.txt". Yes, it's a text file and no binary. Will be overwritten, though, the moment you change settings in-game, through the options menu.

Quadcore (instead dual-core) and latest Intel-chips help with the framerate. Hyperthreading doesn't seem to further boost the performance. Neither does having a SSD drive this time, since the texture streaming improved heavily, since Shogun 2. No more 60-90 seconds waiting for the game to start (although, that was 'fixed', when Shogun 2 got its major update for the "Fall of the Samurai" Addon). Running it on Win7 or 8 - in 32bit or 64bit - does also make no difference. Neither does having tons of System RAM. Game does not utilize more than 1-2 GB RAM (again, 32bit/64bit = no difference).

Interestingly, the Benchmark "Teutoburg Forest" level, when you PLAY it (found in the "historic battle" game menu), is LESS performance hungry for some reason. You get the same cinematic sequence, but when you get to control the game, zooming in and out, switching back and forth, turning camera views, commands etc, control precise and smoothly. The game engine scales and the texture streaming does not interfere with the action on the screen ... unless, you like your "Alpha Vegetation = on".

I cannot speak at all to the netcode & multiplayer issues people claim to have.

#30 Posted by Bollard (5034 posts) -

So I have an i7 950, and a GTX 580, so I wasn't expecting this game to run super amazing, however the game defaulted to the max settings (Extreme) and is still running above 30 most of the time, which seems acceptable to me.

The only thing that really irritates me is the font in this game looks like shiiiit. It looks like some temporary programmer art ass font, from some game many years ago.

On top of that, I feel like Shogun 2 was prettier.

#31 Posted by squiDc00kiE (342 posts) -

Maybe try nvidia inspector? That helped me out on a bunch of games, however most of my optimization issues came out of my sli setup. Before inspector i was getting 40ish on max settings on shogun 2. With inspector settings it put me at 60+.

3770k with 2x 670's in sli

#32 Posted by gaminghooligan (1352 posts) -

I have an i5, hd7850 2gb ddr5, and 6gb ram and Empire Total war still runs like hot garbage for me. Shogun runs okay (around 35-45 fps), but it shocks me that my card that can run games like Skyrim and Saint Row IV on Ultra with no issues can't run some of these games on less than optimal settings. I guess I'll wait to see if they patch Rome 2, you guys made me nervous lol.

#33 Posted by Nivash (239 posts) -

It was mentioned in another thread: this game is broken on some systems. Extremely low FPS is one part of it but some graphics options not turning on even when they are on are another part. Some people also get graphical glitches.

CA has promised to patch it over the coming weeks with the first patch hitting on Friday. Hopefully that will sort it out for most people. I'm running it on an i5 3570K with a 7950-Boost and still can't get even a stable 30 FPS on the very lowest settings with everything turned off.

#34 Posted by Hewitt (63 posts) -

You should turn shadows to medium and unit detail or high or very high (down from extreme) also unit size down to large also helps. From what I've read this game uses the cpu is some very inefficient ways. With those settings turned down (and alpha veg off of course) im getting, on average, above 40fps with everything else on extreme.

Specs:

i7 950 at stock settings

gtx 660ti 3gb

4gigs ram

win 7 64-bit

#35 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Is there a way to change the colors in this game? Everything looks so awful.

#36 Posted by MonetaryDread (1956 posts) -

Overclock your CPU. The Total War games have always been CPU limited because of the amount of troops on the field.

#37 Posted by subyman (562 posts) -

I wouldn't mess with the resolution setting, you need to run at the native resolution of your monitor for it to look decent. The standard setting to turn down first are: shadows, lighting, AA, particle effects, smoke, and any intensive post processing effects like DOF, HDR, etc. If you are running really choppy, then you may be running out of vRAM, so try turning the texture quality down a few notches.

As always, total war games run pretty bad on launch. Even fully patched they are intensive. Shogon II is widely used as a PC benchmark for a reason.

#38 Edited by Fattony12000 (6378 posts) -

You mean 2% report no issues and 40% dont see the issues and think this is intended, while the rest of 58% is busy finding solutions and flame CA. R

eally Videogamer do your homework a bit, look at the game details, the game depth, the grafik issues, the ai issues, the overall game experience. And do it in compare with older titles (beside ETW) and then come back and dare to post CA excuses and Propaganda. The thing is, this game is in pre Beta Stadium. It has some nice features, and got rid of the good old features, so overall it will be 80%/100 on a not bribed test in 6 month or more and after mods+devs repaired this mess, but well maybe you write a article about how CA deceived Customers and Lie. And that this game is actually only 20-50%/100

You Remember Swtor? when we had FPS issues and other Problems and they claimed it was 2% and it was Customers fault? who got fired in the end? what product went f2p, and what came out after engine analysis of extern devs? right you "press guys" dont do homework, maybe its time for investigative journalism not pay me i do propaganda for you journalism.

#39 Edited by tehsorrow (64 posts) -

Just for posterity, the game now runs fine on my PC as of 1.5.

Also Barcids beat all

#40 Posted by tehsorrow (64 posts) -

Just for posterity, the game now runs fine on my PC as of 1.5.

Also Barcids beat all

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.