I can't be the only one having fun can I?(Of course I'm not)

#1 Posted by tehsorrow (64 posts) -

So I know I'm an outcast in the Total War community because I loved Empire, but I'm going to extend the olive branch and start a thread about how much I'm loving this game. I'm about 18 hours in as Carthage and had a bit of a rough time getting any footholds because people treat me I'd just got done wiping my arse with their flag.

I really enjoy the way when you get a quality army the army transcends the troops that make it up so even if I disband my Rome pillaging force for upkeep, I can "get the band together" again when they're needed and still get those traits that define the force.

I had a general since the start of my game and he FINALLY captured Rome at the ripe old age of 62, then promptly died of old age the next turn. That just felt so right. He had finished his ambition and died of being content.

Pulling off a Trojan war style beach landing is also extremely arousing.

#2 Posted by Abendlaender (2835 posts) -

Nope, I love this game as well. Even though playing with a friend is painfull at the time cause it takes the AI FREAKING AGES to make their moves, so we sit there for minutes waiting for them to finish. Other than that I really, really enjoy the game even though I'm having a hard time with the UI

#3 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

I have a plethora of issues with the game, but that being said i am absolutely loving my time with this game. I'm about 6 hours or so into a campaign as Rome, and subjugating the Mediterranean feels as marvelous and rewarding as ever.

#4 Edited by Bamsen (342 posts) -

@tehsorrow said:

So I know I'm an outcast in the Total War community because I loved Empire, but I'm going to extend the olive branch and start a thread about how much I'm loving this game. I'm about 18 hours in as Carthage and had a bit of a rough time getting any footholds because people treat me I'd just got done wiping my arse with their flag.

I really enjoy the way when you get a quality army the army transcends the troops that make it up so even if I disband my Rome pillaging force for upkeep, I can "get the band together" again when they're needed and still get those traits that define the force.

I had a general since the start of my game and he FINALLY captured Rome at the ripe old age of 62, then promptly died of old age the next turn. That just felt so right. He had finished his ambition and died of being content.

Pulling off a Trojan war style beach landing is also extremely arousing.

Your not the only one, I'm having a blast playing as Athens now(my Sparta game did not go well). I enjoyed Empire and Shogun 2 and the internet raged at those games so dunno whats up with people. Of course there are problems with performance and buggs, but sadly thats total war for ya(before tons of patches can repair some of it) But there is no other games on this grad scale.

#5 Posted by Kaiserreich (710 posts) -

Despite some graphical/ui issues the game already runs way better than Shogun 2 did on my machine. I'm pretty amazed so far.

#6 Posted by JNeam (77 posts) -

I've had no problems at all and I'm thoroughly enjoying the game.

#7 Edited by Captain_Insano (1547 posts) -

I have only had the opportunity to put in about 4 hours and I'm enjoying it so far (though I suck at naval battles and transports are hugely overpowered). Of those 4 hours only 2 are really of my 'main campaign'. The prologue crashed partway through the first section and I just went into a game to learn a few of the new interactions, tinkered around a bit and have now started my game proper.

The Etruscans are already gone and my desire is to expand eastwards. I'm looking forward to playing more of it.

#8 Edited by Rowr (5825 posts) -

I would love it better if it didn't run like a dog, frequently crash or get stuck in an unacheivable scripted moment and i if i could finish the prologue.

Combine this with an initially annoying UI, and some confusing mechanics that aren't explained, and I've got a pretty horrible taste in my mouth.

I have no doubts I will eventually get some enjoyment out of this game, i'm just not sure how long that will be. Hopefully less than a few months.

I think these things annoy me more than most because I didn't drop 3 grand on an awesome gaming PC to get shitty results when the big hitters arrive. Between this and COH 2 it's pretty frustrating to see my money wasted.

#9 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

Just had a couple GREAT moments.

Started a war with my barbarian neighbors to the north, and they had three armies, I'd guess 55 or so units total, mostly just infantry and slinger with a few calvary units.

Also, things are starting to get tense politically in Rome. One of the generals I put up, belonging to the "other families" who mostly has just been sitting around had gained a ton of gravitas somehow, making the Other Families faction very powerful. My characters were starting to be blackmailed, there was an assassination attempt earlier that ended in a wounding, so I was starting to have to respond. Basically, I decided I'm going to send this dude out to die.

I take my top general in my family and send him up to the war. I set him in the woods by the road, right at the border in the ambush stance. I set the other dude out as bait further back, accompanied by only a skirmisher unit and two mercenary cavalry units.

I catch the first army force of my enemy on their turn in the ambush perfectly. It's awesome how it was set up, they were set up on the road going up a hill and I was free to set up my units around them wherever I liked. I basically set up all my legionaries on one side, the open flat area, with a couple skirmishers and then on the other side in the forest I hid more skirmishers and 4 gladiator units. I put my general and a cavalry up the hill so I could crash down on them. As soon as the fight started I sent my legionnaires in, tying up the units, infantry in the front and all slingers in the rear. A few slipped out but I scouped them up with two of my gladiator units while the other two smashed into the slingers and decimated them. Then I let my skirmishers in on the other open flanks of their heavy infantry. One of their units did manage to slip out and find my general but I just ran out with him and after just a short time their army was completely wiped out.

So right after they send the next army in and they get the army behind that as reinforcements, now being a straight up battle. I get my thorn in the side general and his few units as reinforcements.

They have tons of slingers and infantry and a few cavalry and I'm outnumbered 2 to 1, though my units are grizzled veterans. I set up mostly just normal but hide a few skirmishers and gladiators on my flank in the woods. I harass them on their approach, drawing them in, though eventually they fall back to meet up with their reinforcements. While this is happening I'm sending my skirmishers in and as support I bring in my thorn in the side general and his cavalry. Eventually, the enemy sends all their forces up and their cavalry manages to trap mine, then spearmen close in on the group. The mercenaries shatter quick and then all the sudden, the thorn in the side general catches a blade and dies. PERFECT, and in the heat of the battle I had almost forgotten I wanted him to die. Then I move up the rest of my forces into the fight, using my general's abilities for support, enduring the ton of slingers behind until I can bring up my hidden forces and start to hit those directly from the flank. Eventually I manage to chew through their lines, focusing on breaking units one by one, eventually their general unit, killing him, and then I finally manage to win.

The wrinkles added by the political system just made me care about generals and think about them in a totally different way which I love. I wanted that bastard to die and he certainly did. Reminds me of how Rome would stick some troublesome nobles as generals up north to fight the barbarians so they couldn't mettle.

#10 Edited by TruthTellah (9309 posts) -

My Little Total War: Rome II Can't Be This Fun!

#11 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

So even as I praise this game: I saved that battle replay and just went to rewatch it, trying to just be able to zoom in on the animations and just take them in, which I haven't really been able to do, and it turns out I lost the battle in spectacular fashion. It was following my movements for the most part and then the enemy moved in closer on some of my skirmishers and shit just went all awry from there and the battle played out completely differently. You can tell it was registering most of the orders I gave but the enemy was in completely different places, so near the end when I was charging my infantry like 20 feet in front of them into an enemy unit, now they were charging at enemy units like a football field away. So.... nice replay Rome II. Hope that gets patched or something.

#12 Posted by Anund (921 posts) -

I'm absolutely loving this game. I never could get into the style of warfare in Empire and Shogun with it's lack of unit variety just didn't do it for me but this game feels like a huge step in the right direction. I love the concept of regions and edicts, and that generals and legions actually become more like personalities now.

I just started a war on Carthage. I didn't realize we had a non-aggression pact though... wtf, when did I sign that? So now the rest of the world sees me as a backstabbing, unreliable bastard. Oh well. They were going to get a taste of Roman steel at some point anyhow.

#13 Posted by mao16 (107 posts) -

After 23 hours I can safely say I'm enjoying my time so far. The new animations are especially nice. It's basicly Shogun 2 but with a much larger scope and variety.

However there are major problems with the game.The biggest being perfomance. It's just bad across the board. Thankfully I have a i72600k and a gtx 760 so I can get acceptable performance if only just barely. I can't see this game running well on anything older than a gtx 600 series (from the benchmarks AMD is just broken).Technical issues aside I have 2 major gripes with the game so far.

Combat AI appears to be decent but the campaign AI is just braindead. I know Shogun 2's AI wasn't the greatest but even if it was worse it seemed better simply because there were less factions and it didn't take as many turns for a few strong factions to emerge. Once the AI gets a few provinces they seem to do ok but it's those first 60 or so turns where everyone just has a few territories. The AI is horrible at self preservation. The auto resolve battle function (that the AI uses to calculate it's battles) is flat out broken almost to a comedic level. So much so that it makes the AI seem brain dead when it comes to choosing it's fights.

The battle UI is serviceable but a step down from Shogun 2. No unit numbers and only green bars on the cards? Really? The Campaign UI on the other hand is just bad. Trying to organize large armies and switch forces between them is a huge pain since unit cards scale so much that when you have 14ish plus in an army you can't see their experience level when moving them across armies since they become too small (and that's the only way to move them between armies). You can't upgrade or retrain groups of units and have to manually select each one even if they are the same and each cost the same as the others to do so (exp isn't a factor in cost). If agents are deployed on a map and gain a promotion they auto undeploy. The catch is you can't queue them up to redeploy the next turn and need to do it manually next turn. Thing is, the game doesn't notify you if an agent is doing nothing. Now imagine if you have 6 agents and need to do this for each one. Then imagine if you had 8, or 10 all spread out on a giant map. Now imagine that they are mortal and will die over the course of the 300 year campaign so you will be constantly promoting them. There is no way to select idle armies, agents or cities. Finally the actual UI itself is unresponsive, sometimes hitting buttons doesn't do anything unless you try a few times and there are also a few bugs when selecting units that force you to reselect them to enable the button. I know most of these problems were in past Total War games but they still aren't acceptable and weren't as numerous.

Don't get me wrong, even with these problems the game has been great so far. Mechanically it seems to be a big upgrade to Shogun 2 but it just seems rushed. All the little things add up (granted if you can run the game). Bigger scope and variety are great but they make those tiny problems that were manageable in the past all the bigger.

#14 Posted by Captain_Insano (1547 posts) -

I have always been terrible at keeping track of agents. I have to catch myself as I realise that my spies who are out scouting for me are often doing nothing for a number of turns because they've slipped my mind.

#15 Edited by buckybit (1455 posts) -

What??? More the 3 people in the GB forums playing "strategy games"? You are damaging the IQ ratio around here significantly!

When Shogun 2 came out, I went out of my comfort zone and created a Giantbomb Online Clan ... and it never hit off. Maybe, when the patch comes out - in a couple hours - and the desynchronization and similar issues have been fixed, we can play together/against each other? Of course, I am still in the "learning phase", trying to find out what those 120 factions are doing, wondering if these Total War games are what people learned to fear about Dota 2 (= complexity, despite "rock-paper-scissor" tactics).

I love the game too! Gladly, I have no issues with it. Also, I am too dumb to notice the "dumb" Game AI, people keep reporting (I am "en par" with the average Giantbomb IQ).

Cya in-game, Duders ... and Dave.

#16 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

I have always been terrible at keeping track of agents. I have to catch myself as I realise that my spies who are out scouting for me are often doing nothing for a number of turns because they've slipped my mind.

I'd just get in the habit of checking you minimap, or also you can look to the bottom left where you get a little name bar if you have an agent or army selected. You can hit the arrows on the left or right there to switch through all your available units on the campaign map.

#17 Edited by Carlos1408 (1526 posts) -

Although it does have a few issues I'm really enjoying it. Hadn't played a total war game since Medieval II. I had a great moment when I realized that not having all the territories in a province can affect the "happiness" of your population. I then also realized how important a factor culture is. I finally used some agents properly:

There was a city I needed to complete the province but I wanted to avoid being at war with too many factions so I used my spy and disciplinary to start off; just spreading propaganda and anger. Then the city went rogue and actually rebelled completely to my surprise; I was just trying to adapt the citizens' cultural preferences for my arrival, I had no idea I could take it that far. So yeah, then I could just conquer the city without having to go to war with a new faction. I felt pretty smug after that.

It did annoy me a little, however, as it made me realize how many mechanics go unexplained; the advisors only really tell you the most obvious shit that anyone who's played an RTS before would know. None of the new mechanics (I am also aware that I've missed a lot) are properly explained. Maybe I should have finished the prologue... but hey, I've been doing fine just figuring it out on my own and reading what everything does. DERPDY DERP!!!

#18 Posted by Captain_Insano (1547 posts) -

@captain_insano said:

I'd just get in the habit of checking you minimap, or also you can look to the bottom left where you get a little name bar if you have an agent or army selected. You can hit the arrows on the left or right there to switch through all your available units on the campaign map.

Yeah, I've started switching between available units each term simply to remind myself of what each is meant to be doing. I'll occasionally get to a spy or dignitary and realise I need to make them do something, so that's helped.

I'm really early in though at the moment, only 5 hours and probably only 2 or so on the actual campaign I'm playing now. So far I've only knocked out the Etruscans and Syracuse (as Rome clearly) and I'm deciding which way to expand. I'd like to head eastwards but should probably secure Cisalpine Gaul first.

#19 Posted by Hewitt (63 posts) -

Loving it so far. Been playing co-op campaign with my friend, and even though we've had a few desyncs it seems that replacing the save file still works as a fix.

There are a lot of bugs at the moment but this is a great game. When CA bring out a few more fixes this should be a very solid Total War game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.