So this iteration is horrendous.

• 63 results
#1 Posted by Crysack (343 posts) -

I don't even know what to say. Rome 2 makes a good case for being the worst iteration in the series in its current state.

The game borders on fundamentally broken from a technical point of view - the graphics look like something straight out of 2005 and yet it runs like complete and utter garbage on high end machines. It's riddled with bugs like the campaign map completely desynching in multiplayer and the issue remaining unresolved upon reloading the save, partied-up team-mates being dropped on to opposite teams in multiplayer as well as countless animation bugs like unit animations moving at 1 fps while the rest of the game runs normally. The battle AI is some of the worst I have seen in a TW game with entire infantry lines running off to follow a single cav unit that is harassing them and the like. The balance is also utterly screwed with Rome being by far the best faction in both campaign and multi since they have the best units in the game and can get vet legionaries by 254 BC in the campaign. Oh yeah, and speaking of multiplayer, we've now inexplicably returned to the bare-bones multiplayer of the first few TW games with the avatar system, veterans and all manner of customisation completely stripped out.

As someone who played hundreds upon hundreds of hours of Shogun 2, I haven't been this disappointed in a long time.

#2 Edited by squirrelnacho (332 posts) -

Bugs aside, does the core single player campaign gameplay feel more or less intact? Are you still given the same tools and mechanics to play a campaign as you would in the earlier games in the series? In other words, does it feel significantly simplified? I'm less concerned about bugs and balance since those things can be more easily patched or fixed.

#3 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6018 posts) -

If the AI in every Total War game is some of the worst in any strategy game period it must be staggeringly awful in this; color me intrigued! Could be one of the funniest games of the year.

#4 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

I've been playing Total War games since Medieval 1 and i am greatly enjoying my time with Rome 2. Yes there are some bugs and other issues, but for the most part it is a solid title. As for the removal of the Avatar system, it was utter garbage in Shogun 2 and personally i'm glad that everyone has to play regular battles again instead of dividing the relatively small multiplayer user base. I will admit the AI is not fantastic but it is also not noticeably different from Shogun 2's AI and is better then Empire and Napoleon Total War AI. To say this game is "horrendous" is quite simply an exaggeration and you are really over reacting.

#5 Posted by Strangestories (118 posts) -

@crysack: I had a lot of those issues in Shogun 2 (well, technical issues I mean). Glad I put off buying the game. This was on a high-end computer too.

#6 Posted by Ravelle (1375 posts) -

There must be something wrong with it, I have everything on Extreme and the textures look awful. There must be some bug that's messing with the graphics.

#7 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Every iteration in this series is "horrendous" for the first weeks/months.
But as they have written all over the place at this point, bugs will get fixed, (ai, graphics, all of it) just like with all the previous games.

#8 Edited by MondyofAus (27 posts) -

The game has problems coming out its arse at the moment and I still think it's better then Shogun 2. A couple of patches and it'll be perfect.

#9 Posted by chiablo (987 posts) -
#10 Edited by Crysack (343 posts) -

I've been playing Total War games since Medieval 1 and i am greatly enjoying my time with Rome 2. Yes there are some bugs and other issues, but for the most part it is a solid title. As for the removal of the Avatar system, it was utter garbage in Shogun 2 and personally i'm glad that everyone has to play regular battles again instead of dividing the relatively small multiplayer user base. I will admit the AI is not fantastic but it is also not noticeably different from Shogun 2's AI and is better then Empire and Napoleon Total War AI. To say this game is "horrendous" is quite simply an exaggeration and you are really over reacting.

Shogun 2 was playable on launch day. Rome 2 barely qualifies as playable at all in its current state. As for the AI, I have already had multiple instances where it has refused to attack in a siege or has done other monumentally stupid things that would never happen in Shogun 2. I would also add that formations barely work at all and hoplites run off in all directions to fight as individual soldiers despite being put in a phalanx.

And I disagree entirely about the avatar system. The ability to personalize armies and generals as well as having a pool of custom veterans was the best thing they ever added to the total war series. The multiplayer, as it stands in Rome 2, is just the same stale old system that they've had in every total war game. Oh, and incidentally, I'm clearly not alone since, according to steam stats, Shogun 2's multiplayer was immensely popular for a TW game.

#11 Posted by Subjugation (4734 posts) -

I can't help but feel that this is a little hyperbolic.

#12 Posted by Vuud (2035 posts) -

I feel like I dodged a bullet when I cancelled my preorder. Why dunk $60 into a broken game? I'll wait for the holiday sale when (hopefully) CA has ironed out the bugs.

#13 Posted by Turambar (6849 posts) -

Does it have a "Divided Realm" mechanic? If not, it is definitely not the worst entry in the franchise.

#15 Posted by chiablo (987 posts) -

How to play the Total War series:

1. Wait for the newest Total War game.
  2. Buy last year's Total War that has expansions and user-made fixes and content.
  3. Enjoy a great, stable game.
#16 Posted by Crysack (343 posts) -

#18 Posted by KoolAid (1010 posts) -

As I understand it there are some technical issues. It hasn't been so bad for me but the framerate does have some problems. I can't speak to the MP because I haven't played it yet. (And I rarely do in TW games). There is room for improvement performance wise.

That being said, I think these battles are awesome! I like the roman and medeval settings much more then the Japanese or Empire ones. Flanking and morale feel so damn right! And I love the way shields block arrows. The units all FEEL different, in a good way. They don't just feel like the same base unit, but with different stats (these ones hit hard, these ones move fast etc.). Instead, different units play differently, and they are more fun in my opinion. Pikemen move like little death balls, The Calvary charge and hit like a ton of bricks. hoplites and the legion have giant shields that protect their front, but they seem real weak in the back.

Personally, I'm having a ton of fun. Best first impression for me since Medieval 2. I don't really know why people don't seem to like it, technical issues aside of course.

#19 Posted by Humanity (9881 posts) -

@crysack said:

@subjugation said:

Wow is that some post-apocalyptic mod installed?

#20 Posted by chiablo (987 posts) -

@humanity said:

@crysack said:

@subjugation said:

I believe the mod is called Total War: Rome II.

#21 Edited by KoolAid (1010 posts) -

Apparently it is busted. I'm reading about some bug where you put the settings on extreme and it gives you low graphics instead? There is a post on the total war forums that has a work around. I'm not having the problem. It might have something to do with SLI

@humanity said:

@crysack said:

@subjugation said:

@ravelle said:

There must be something wrong with it, I have everything on Extreme and the textures look awful. There must be some bug that's messing with the graphics.

#22 Posted by Ravelle (1375 posts) -

This is on Extreme.

It's running on a i5-3570k 3,30Ghz with 8 GB of RAM with a GTX 570 with 1233 VRAM, way above the recommended requirements.

#24 Posted by TheHT (11690 posts) -
#25 Posted by JNeam (77 posts) -

Not sure about you guys, but I haven't had any real problems yet.

#26 Posted by spiralcut (120 posts) -

Sorry to disappoint the alarmist OP, but it's really a fantastic game with minor launch day problems. You know what's horrendous? A game where the majority of its players can't even access it for a full week (SimCity). All in all the minor issues are nothing to cry wolf about, and the majority of them will most likely be fixed by shortly.

First, there is a simple texture workaround. If you have a low-end PC just put the game in windowed mode, that is helping out a lot of people on the forums. You could also try clicking the button on the right that removes the processing power cap (under advanced options), this made my game run smooth as silk at 50 FPS on max settings with fantastic textures. Other users have also reported that lowering the resolution to very high saw a substantial increase in performance. Again, this is a minor issue that should be ironed out rather quickly.

Secondarily, the AI. Of course it's janky, this is a TW game. If you don't think every other iteration of TW has had jank at launch, you really weren't paying close attention. I remember some terrible AI in Shogun 2 that had my archers shooting into the side of a fortification instead of over it, and I could ramble on about Medieval 2's pathing issues in city combat. Again, these problems are to be expected at launch of games of this scale. It's not like they won't be fixed, and CA has shown that they work tirelessly to fix both major and minor bugs far after launch.

It'll be ok.

#27 Posted by Ravelle (1375 posts) -

The cap removing didn't anything for me, sadly.

#28 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -
#29 Edited by ProfessorEss (7473 posts) -

@spiralcut said:

You know what's horrendous? A game where the majority of its players can't even access it for a full week (SimCity).

Is that the new bar we're measuring with now? You're probably going to scare more people than you comfort just by comparing it to SimCity :P

#30 Posted by Bamsen (344 posts) -

This, right here

#31 Posted by OtakuGamer (1283 posts) -

I'm not really noticing anything horrendous, not the kind of problems you seem to be facing anyway. I find that the AI has some issues but that’s nothing new but apart from that, a solid Total War game.

#32 Posted by Sackmanjones (4785 posts) -

@ravelle: Im having this issue too. I feel like the game doesnt look good yet it runs at about 15 fps. Ive got a quad core, 8gb of ram and a 7950 with 3 gb of memory. I should be able to run it at its highest rather well but I simply cant.

#33 Posted by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

I find that the AI has some issues but that’s nothing new but apart from that, a solid Total War game.

Why do we forgive the flaws and shortcomings? Why on earth is the AI having issues "nothing new" and the game is still solid? How is this billionth Total War game, a brand new late-2013 title, not SUPPOSED to improve drastically on previous titles?

I don't even play strategy games, I suck at them, I'm talking in general, when are we gonna demand less cutscenes and more actual gameplay improvements?

"It's fiiiiine" <-- I hate this attitude, I really do, I can't understand it.

#34 Edited by Rowr (5824 posts) -

Between this and company of heroes 2 this is a shitty year for pc strategy franchises.

I've just replayed the same fucking battles 4 times at the end of the prologue i keep getting crashes in the same spot in battle or at the campaign map it fucks up at the scripted attack. The game is graphically a little underwhelming, especially for the shitty optimisation, I'd hate to have anything less than the top of the line graphics card i'm using. Which is i guess 95 percent of people playing, so yeh.

Fucking over it, what a disappointment. I guess i'll give it a couple of months for them to sort their shit out.

edit - o hey metro last light is 60 percent off.

#35 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@otakugamer said:

I find that the AI has some issues but that’s nothing new but apart from that, a solid Total War game.

Why do we forgive the flaws and shortcomings? Why on earth is the AI having issues "nothing new" and the game is still solid? How is this billionth Total War game, a brand new late-2013 title, not SUPPOSED to improve drastically on previous titles?

I don't even play strategy games, I suck at them, I'm talking in general, when are we gonna demand less cutscenes and more actual gameplay improvements?

Maybe some people have other issues actually worth worrying about when it comes to games.
Like nauseating FOV issues and stuff that actually makes them experience something like a headache or they feel like throwing up.

It is kinda funny how the last time an AI was actually any good at anything was FEAR though. After that game everybody suddenly forgot how how to make the AI in any game worth a damn at launch.

#36 Posted by Abendlaender (2867 posts) -

I greatly enjoy the game so far, even though I have some issues with the UI

#37 Posted by OtakuGamer (1283 posts) -

@jouseldelka said:

@otakugamer said:

Never said it was a good thing or something that should be ignored. I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. It is the other aspects of the game that makes it a solid title. I'm not going to call the game horrendous based on one flaw. Heck, the AI is component just not competent enough for advanced players when you begin to notice the exploits and the issues.

#38 Posted by spiralcut (120 posts) -

@professoress: Fair point good Sir. But you have to admit it is a good baseline when we are looking at a game and calling it 'horrendous'. That kind of language implies that there is nothing redeeming about it, and we are simply talking about bugs here. Company of Heroes 2 was a fair game by-and-large, but didn't live up to the success of it's predecessor. I wouldn't call that horrendous, as I wouldn't call a game with various graphical issues and AI flaws horrendous. I would however call something that strangles the very players it is supposed to be geared towards horrendous.

Another game I could put in that category would be Steel Battalion Kinect, remember that broken mess?

#39 Edited by DystopiaX (5352 posts) -

@otakugamer said:

This is the second time in 2 days I've seen you bitch about a game that you haven't yet played all to take this dumb stance. He's not saying that bad AI is an alright thing, but that the game is totally worth checking out despite that.

Although based on what I've seen of your posting, you'd rather no one ever play any games ever just to make a statement.

#40 Posted by chiablo (987 posts) -

@otakugamer said:

Probably because they know the community will fix their horrible AI with DarthMod in a few months. If this were Valve, they would have hired the guys who made that mod and put them to work.

#41 Posted by Ravelle (1375 posts) -

@ravelle: Im having this issue too. I feel like the game doesnt look good yet it runs at about 15 fps. Ive got a quad core, 8gb of ram and a 7950 with 3 gb of memory. I should be able to run it at its highest rather well but I simply cant.

Really strange, I can run Shogun 2 on ultra and put everything to eleven without even a single hiccup.

#42 Edited by Jimbo (9938 posts) -

@ravelle said:

Lots of people are reporting this issue.

My issue is just performance way below where it should be. Haven't played enough to talk about the game itself yet, and won't bother until they finish making it.

#43 Posted by Bam_Boozilled (163 posts) -

This all is really disheartening to hear. Rome Total War is one of my favorite games of all time. I played a tad bit of Empire and a fair amount of Medieval 2, but the ancient setting is where I want to be. Didn't have the 60 bucks to throw around so I passed on a pre-order. Which sucked because now I have to pay extra to play as the greeks, who were my favorite faction in the original Rome.

And why is it that factions that should be in the base game are a preorder bonus? I guess that is for another discussion.

@crysack: That picture gave me a good laugh, while scaring me at the same time. Those men need some face lotion.

#44 Edited by chiablo (987 posts) -

Second article on Rock, Paper, Shotgun:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/03/the-rps-verdict-total-war-rome-ii/

"Rome II, then, is like a huge tome of fine history that is engrossing, but poorly edited. Some of the pages are discoloured through age, but the sheer fact of it remains. Like a monument in the desert. Or perhaps an old friend, who talks a good talk, but has become portly and eccentrically attired. You have heard his stories many times, and the embellishments over time make their more lurid, even if the basic story remains the same"

Edit: better quote

#45 Posted by Captain_Insano (1556 posts) -

Horrendous is a bit of a stretch. The graphics aren't fantastic but the game is running pretty well on my mid-level PC with the settings on 'High'.

The campaign seems pretty good so far, the battle AI is not great but it never has been all that fantastic. The campaign map is my main drawcard and I think it has done really well in streamlining how to improve cities and provinces and also in terms of recruiting your army and researching technology.

I can see how some people are disappointed. As I mentioned in my thread I was super hyped for this game, but over the years I have also learnt to manage my expectations and so I'm not disappointed (let this be a warning for everyone psyched about GTAV - I too think that game looks great but be careful about what bar you set yourself)

Total War: Rome II is perfectly fine and I'm certain I'll put hundreds of hours into it.

#46 Posted by YARN (44 posts) -

Got to play one hour of this today.

Now im stalking creative assembly on their forums, facebook and twitter since the game wont launch anymore.

The worst part is not that i can´t play it, it´s that i´m actually wasting my free time trying to get it to run :(

#47 Edited by Ravelle (1375 posts) -

@jimbo said:

@ravelle said:

Lots of people are reporting this issue.

My issue is just performance way below where it should be. Haven't played enough to talk about the game itself yet, and won't bother until they finish making it.

You can tweak it a little bit by toggling on the VRA and remove the processing cap, you get a little more textures but at the cost of performance.

My videocard goes only to 1233 VRAM and I heard the game needs about 2GB on Extreme. My game runs fine otherwise, it's just the textures that are crap no matter on what settings I play on. And in your case it doesn't make any sense, you should indeed be able to run it without problems.

With most games you just put your computer to the test and it allows you to put everything on max and even though your performance might be crap you have at least the textures properly and you can adjust the settings according to make it play to your liking, now it's just flat out refuses to load any textures, even on Very high.

Edit: This was meant for Sackmanjones by the way , you two guys have the same avatars. ;P

#48 Edited by ManMadeGod (1584 posts) -
#49 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

They've gone and fucked it up. Again.

I'm too old for this shit.

#50 Posted by pubbles (146 posts) -

Having a ton of fun, graphics seem fine on Very High, no perfomance issues. Just need to expand the empire quicker.

My only real complaint is turns take too long to complete (i.e., so many other factions the turns take foreverrrrrrrr)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.