Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Rome II

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 03, 2013

The successor to the acclaimed Rome: Total War and the eighth main entry in the Total War series, Total War: Rome II returns the series to classical antiquity.

Trojan War as an Expansion Pack?

MondyofAus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know it's a little early to be talking about future Expansion Packs, but the Trojan War is one of those great historical campaigns that has never really been covered by the Total War series. I would love to take command of the Trojans situated on the East side of the Aegean trying to change history and rout the Greeks completely. Maybe even go on to return the favor and invade them.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since the story of the Trojan War is mostly myth, I would consider that highly unlikely. It's not one of those great historical campaigns. Even what we consider to be ancient Greek historians knew a lot of what was in the Homeric poems was poetic nonsense.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Turambar

Since the story of the Trojan War is mostly myth, I would consider that highly unlikely. It's not one of those great historical campaigns. Even what we consider to be ancient Greek historians knew a lot of what was in the Homeric poems was poetic nonsense.

Actually, archeological evidence suggests one of the many versions of Troy (a city destroyed and rebuilt many times) corresponds closely to the Homeric tales, and has been determined to be destroyed by warfare. While it's highly doubtful that Poseidan and Apollo built its walls, their historical dates corresponds closely with the mythological ones.

Bottom line, a war between the Greeks and Trojans probably happened, just without Zeus watching the battle on a hill and Hera dressing up to distract him.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MikeJFlick

I don't see them adding Troy as a faction, while Troy was a city, there's not enough information on it to base any of the assets they would have to make for it.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob
    @turambar said:

Actually, archeological evidence suggests one of the many versions of Troy (a city destroyed and rebuilt many times) corresponds closely to the Homeric tales, and has been determined to be destroyed by warfare. While it's highly doubtful that Poseidan and Apollo built its walls, their historical dates corresponds closely with the mythological ones.

Bottom line, a war between the Greeks and Trojans probably happened, just without Zeus watching the battle on a hill and Hera dressing up to distract him.

There's no "actually". Two simple facts of "there was a city" and "one time there was a war there" does not great military history make. I would have brought up those points if they were relevant.

The Trojan War is a mythological story. The most we have managed to find out is that there was something factual somewhere in the story, and we will never know what. That's it.

The Total War series has thus far been based on historical events. The only historical event that the Trojan War offers is Creative Assembly's own guesswork at what is fact and what is fiction in Homer's poem.

There are factual elements to Beowulf, too, but nobody confuses that for history.

I don't see them adding Troy as a faction, while Troy was a city, there's not enough information on it to base any of the assets they would have to make for it.

There's no reason to even add it as a city, because the Troy of the Trojan War existed 1,000 years before the campaign of Rome 2 even begins, and pre-dates the Roman Republic by hundreds of years, and by that time what is accepted to be the site of Troy was a Roman city anyway.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah the internet... "Someone disagreed with me?! Time to make myself look like a bit of an asshole!" It's such a shame people can't have a fucking discussion. It's an even bigger shame that he's right.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Maybe this would make good DLC for RYSE.

Then everyone will be happy!

I've been playing a bunch of shogun 2: Fall of the samurai lately and just came to the unfortunate realisation - Rome 2 = no more cannons :(

The artillery and naval bombardments in Fall of samurai are awesome. I can't wait to unlock the gatling gun.

Another awesome thing we should all remember is creative assembly have access to the warhammer license now. Imagine that shit.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

@arabes said:

Ah the internet... "Someone disagreed with me?! Time to make myself look like a bit of an asshole!" It's such a shame people can't have a fucking discussion. It's an even bigger shame that he's right.

I stated the facts, and illustrated them more clearly since the point was incorrectly corrected the first time.

It's funny how people in real life are assholes if they try to correct you with the wrong conclusion or information, but on the internet you're an asshole if you correct that person.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arabes

@cretaceous_bob: I'm afraind Cretacious that is where you are wrong. People in real life aren't assholes if they correct you with the wrong information, they're just wrong. In the same way that people with the right information aren't automatically nice people. See above for an example :D

Look dude, I'm just kidding around. I don't think really think you're an asshole man, I don't know you at all. I was just pointing out that the tone of your response made you come across as a bit of a dick. maybe that's something you care about , maybe you don't. Personally I think everyone should be told when they're being a dick, I think it'd make people be nicer to each other. It certainly would have helped me out plenty of times.

I hope all ye people have an awesome day!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Well, this thread is a happy place.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

This thread went bad quickly.

I however have to say that a Trojan War expansion would be exceptionally unlikely, particularly given that the war would have occurred at least 1000 years before the start date of Rome 2. With Bronze Age equipment and no siege technology, it would probably not fit their vision for the game. That said, I don't see why the modding community would not take it on board.

MondyofAus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rampant gamer cynicism and negativity infecting my thread :(

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@cretaceous_bob: I think you're an asshole, even if Arabes doesn't.

Also, Aeneas, the mythological founder of the Roman empire, was supposedly a refugee from Troy. Fun fact a lot of people don't know.

maccyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not enough historical evidence.

By the looks of it, creative assembly want to correct their mistakes from the Rome with the whole "historical evidence" thing so it seems unlikely.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The AI is so shitty in these games that complaining about historical evidence is ridiculous. Why not do this? The terrain is there to be studied and mapped you just have to envision what could have potentially happened. Diomedes is totally the best warrior though.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@fredchuckdave said:

The AI is so shitty in these games that complaining about historical evidence is ridiculous. Why not do this? The terrain is there to be studied and mapped you just have to envision what could have potentially happened. Diomedes is totally the best warrior though.

What does AI have to do with historical accuracy?

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Gizmo

Cool Troy related story; My dad was in the Troy site in modern day Turkey a couple of years ago and found a legit Trojan coin. It has a mans face on one side and a swastika on the other side. Looks at least 2.5k years old.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.