Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Shogun 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 26, 2011

Total War: Shogun 2 is the sequel to Shogun: Total War, the first game in the Total War series. Shogun 2 is an epic strategy game, combining real-time 3D battles with turn based city and economic management.

Favorit Clan?

durog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By durog

Favorite clan?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

Oda, jesus Christ Oda.
    They are so OP it is ridiculous. Their ashigaru are half the price and upkeep, and better than everyone else's. I end up field armies twice the size of everyone else's and rolling over them.

durog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By durog
    @ThatFrood: I just got the game and I'm starting out, so I might give them a try.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

I have not had the chance to play around with many clans yet but definately digging the Chosokabe mass of archers. 

Battles tend to go this way in my mind:

Me: "Our arrows will blot out the sun!"
    Enemy: "Then we shall fight in the shade."
    Me: "Fire arrows!"

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    @Tennmuerti said:

" I have not had the chance to play around with many clans yet but definately digging the Chosokabe mass of archers. 

"

Agreed. The Shimazu are also nice, but a little too easy.
    Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I always choose the Date since I've been a fan of Date Masamune since the first Kessen game on PS1. Plus, their position on the map helps when things get serious.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't have the game yet, but from what I know about Japanese history the Oda would be the way to go due to the fact that Nobunaga was the only smart daimyo and embraced the use of guns.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

Wu-Tang

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Wuddel

Shimazu - but basically only because of their starting position. That smith really helps.  

@President_Barackbar: Guns are really not that powerful. Pretty close range. Keep in mind that guns where not really better unitl maybe the second half of the 19 century . Just easier to use. 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By thatfrood
    @Wuddel said:
    " Shimazu - but basically only because of their starting position. That smith really helps.  

@President_Barackbar: Guns are really not that powerful. Pretty close range. Keep in mind that guns where not really better unitl maybe the second half of the 19 century . Just easier to use.  "
    Guns are pretty powerful, man. They just come late in the game, so you don't get to use them immediately. In large numbers and backed up by some strong melee units, guns rout enemy units like crazy. A few volleys of musket fire and then a flank by cavalry usually gets even samurai running.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ThatFrood said:

" @Wuddel said:

" Shimazu - but basically only because of their starting position. That smith really helps.  

@President_Barackbar: Guns are really not that powerful. Pretty close range. Keep in mind that guns where not really better unitl maybe the second half of the 19 century . Just easier to use.  "
    Guns are pretty powerful, man. They just come late in the game, so you don't get to use them immediately. In large numbers and backed up by some strong melee units, guns rout enemy units like crazy. A few volleys of musket fire and then a flank by cavalry usually gets even samurai running. "
    Yeah, and guns in every TW game aside from Empire and Napoleon have been more about their huge morale damage in addition to the physical damage.
    bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @President_Barackbar said:

Yeah, and guns in every TW game aside from Empire and Napoleon have been more about their huge morale damage in addition to the physical damage. "
    Agreed.  

I feel I should also state that the fellow (Wuddel) made a historical reference regarding firearms which I find to be somewhat erroneous: Longarms (going back to the 16th century) were very effective. Of course, the matchlock arquebus may have been impractical when compared to the bow, but it was still plenty powerful (we're talking about explosion-propelled metal projectiles here). By the 19th century, percussion caps, cartridge ammunition, proper rifling, and better overall design concepts were implemented to make firearms much more like what you would see today.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

I'm curious, wouldn't the gun peasants just be outranged by archers and slaughtered?
    Did not have a chance myself, so how would you use them against an archer heavy army effectively?

Kaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Kaspar

For some reason, I always play Total War with a faction that I respect (Rome TW with Greeks for example). I don't do the math like..hmm, good archers, mediocre cavalry etc. Therefore.. Shimazu!

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I enjoyed playing as the Uesugi, I was at war with almost every single neighbor after the first five turns, it was madness.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#16  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @Tennmuerti said:

" I have not had the chance to play around with many clans yet but definately digging the Chosokabe mass of archers. 

"

Way to rip off a great movie for a average game.

Persian: A thousand nations of the Persian empire descend upon you. Our arrows will blot out the sun!
    Stelios: Then we will fight in the shade. 

[as arrows rain down on the Spartans, Astinos begins laughing hysterically]
    Stelios: What the hell are you laughing at?
    Astinos: Well, you had to say it!
    Stelios: What?
    Astinos: "Fight in the shade"!
    [both laugh]
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @sins_of_mosin: 
    Well yes, that's the whole point.
    A cool quote from a movie I like popped into my mind while playing the game and I made it funnier in my head since you get fire arrows in Shogun 2 :P

Not sure what do you mean by rip off?
    bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @Tennmuerti:  

If you're talking about depending on matchlock ashigaru as a staple in your army, then of course you would be overcome by archers. The matchlock ashigaru are only preferable as an auxiliary unit to support advancing foot infantry; they are ineffective as a serious range unit and useless in melee or cavalry defence.  

The only effective solution against an archer-heavy army is to use your cavalry, otherwise your foot soldiers will be eaten alive by arrowfire.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Subjugation

I chose Chosokabe for the archers first time through. I love having a range heavy army. Having your first 5 or so provinces be on an island can be both a blessing and a curse though.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By warxsnake

My first game was Shimazu because they have easy access to most trading posts and you get guns super early.  

I guess I'll play Oda next because I fucking hate upkeep. 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @bwmcmaste: Thanks for the tip. I'll try them out next game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.