Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Shogun 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 26, 2011

Total War: Shogun 2 is the sequel to Shogun: Total War, the first game in the Total War series. Shogun 2 is an epic strategy game, combining real-time 3D battles with turn based city and economic management.

Ikko Ikki Clan DLC

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Today a DLC pack for Shogun 2 Total war was released. Its focused on the Ikko Ikki clan from the main game and makes it a playable faction complete with it's own unit types and adds a new historical battle. 

At 5 bucks its a fair amount of content, the Warrior Monk Units were one of the more interesting troop types in the game, and a faction based around them could be neat, but I can't really say im interested, Realm Divide really ruined Shogun 2 for me, which is odd because its otherwise a great game, I'll be sticking with Napoleon Total War. This does however make me wonder what other clans they'll release (A European Clan could be neat, although that could break the historical aspect a little.) Anyone interested in this DLC? 

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I'm not paying 5 bucks for a faction that is pretty much the same as the rest. This game really lacked any kind of variety.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Azteck

I don't own the game, but I just want to say that Ikko Ikki sounds like it's taken straight out of Monthy Python

"We are now the knights who say 'ekki ekki ekki ta-pang zwup'"

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NickL
    @Mikemcn said:
    Today a DLC pack for Shogun 2 Total war was released. Its focused on the Ikko Ikki clan from the main game and makes it a playable faction complete with it's own unit types and adds a new historical battle.  At 5 bucks its a fair amount of content, the Warrior Monk Units were one of the more interesting troop types in the game, and a faction based around them could be neat, but I can't really say im interested, Realm Divide really ruined Shogun 2 for me, which is odd because its otherwise a great game, I'll be sticking with Napoleon Total War. This does however make me wonder what other clans they'll release (A European Clan could be neat, although that could break the historical aspect a little.) Anyone interested in this DLC? 
    Sad to hear realm divide ruined it for you, I think the realm divide is extremely fun.  As for any additional clans in later DLC, I think there is something like 40 unplayable clans right now in the game, so I doubt they would add a brand new "european clan" any time soon.
    Maybe they will do something like that though, it seems like they are trying to use clans that are different then the ordinary for the DLC if this one is any indication.

@TheSeductiveMoose said:
    I'm not paying 5 bucks for a faction that is pretty much the same as the rest. This game really lacked any kind of variety.
    The Ikko Ikki clan is extremely different from all the other clans.  For starters, they follow their own religion called Ikko, so playing the campaign you would have to deal with a lot of religion troubles in any clans you conquer.
    And of course the biggest difference, they are the only clan in all of Japan that denounced the way of the samurai.  Therefore they don't have access to any samurai units (which are the bread and butter of any good army later in the campaign) and have their own unique units instead.
    But hey, if you think they are the same, then who am I to stop you?

The major content of this DLC is additional units for multiplayer, I haven't used the units in multiplayer yet so I don't know if they are any good but having more options sounds good to me :)
    Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chris_Ihao

Good informed comment Nick. Although people are entitled to have their own opinions, there is far too much misinformation going around these days. Also, I totally do not get the need for "varied" factions. Imagine "Ran" with elephants, camels and black slave warriors or whatever. Pffft. The Way of the samurai (Bushido, Kyudo etc) were not merely redefined throughout each region as it was deeply rooted in Japanese culture. ImhoShogun 2 seems to pretty much represents Japan as it was at the time, and personally I think the formations and strategies you apply are the real stars here, not "varied units".

That said, perhaps we could play some time NickL? Gmt+1 here.

@NickL said:

@Mikemcn said:
    Today a DLC pack for Shogun 2 Total war was released. Its focused on the Ikko Ikki clan from the main game and makes it a playable faction complete with it's own unit types and adds a new historical battle. At 5 bucks its a fair amount of content, the Warrior Monk Units were one of the more interesting troop types in the game, and a faction based around them could be neat, but I can't really say im interested, Realm Divide really ruined Shogun 2 for me, which is odd because its otherwise a great game, I'll be sticking with Napoleon Total War. This does however make me wonder what other clans they'll release (A European Clan could be neat, although that could break the historical aspect a little.) Anyone interested in this DLC?
    Sad to hear realm divide ruined it for you, I think the realm divide is extremely fun. As for any additional clans in later DLC, I think there is something like 40 unplayable clans right now in the game, so I doubt they would add a brand new "european clan" any time soon.
    Maybe they will do something like that though, it seems like they are trying to use clans that are different then the ordinary for the DLC if this one is any indication.

@TheSeductiveMoose said:
    The Ikko Ikki clan is extremely different from all the other clans. For starters, they follow their own religion called Ikko, so playing the campaign you would have to deal with a lot of religion troubles in any clans you conquer. And of course the biggest difference, they are the only clan in all of Japan that denounced the way of the samurai. Therefore they don't have access to any samurai units (which are the bread and butter of any good army later in the campaign) and have their own unique units instead. But hey, if you think they are the same, then who am I to stop you? The major content of this DLC is additional units for multiplayer, I haven't used the units in multiplayer yet so I don't know if they are any good but having more options sounds good to me :)
    bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bwmcmaste

After paying for several DLC packs from CA for the two games immediately preceding Shogun 2, I can safely say that I have no intention of buying one for the present iteration of the Total War series. I enjoy Shogun 2, but I just don't see the value in paying for a single clan. It would be nice if they could add something to the game similar to the Warpath Campaign from ETW or the Peninsular Campaign in NTW (which I concede would be difficult for the setting of the present iteration), but simply adding a single faction just doesn't motivate me to spend more money on an otherwise satisfactory product.

Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chris_Ihao

@bwmcmaste: They'll probably release packs after they have released a few dlc's. Wait until then. Also, I agree that a defined campaign would be great. Like, if the recreated the specific campaign of one warlord at the time or something.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    @Chris_Ihao: That's why I dislike the setting, I don't want them to just shove in elephants and shit (even though CA doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to historical accuracy).
    bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    even though CA doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to historical accuracy  

Ah yes, as I recall with the raging berserker Celtic units that lobbed heads onto the field in RTW. 
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Bouke
    @NickL
    Thanks for explaining the differences; i wasn't going to buy this DLC, but now i really want to give it a try. Finishing my current campaign first though...
    EOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By EOT

Just for those that haven't spotted it the Ikko Ikki DLC   pack is currently £2 on Steam (I don't know what they're charging in whatever local moon-money you happen to be using though).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.