Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Shogun 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 26, 2011

Total War: Shogun 2 is the sequel to Shogun: Total War, the first game in the Total War series. Shogun 2 is an epic strategy game, combining real-time 3D battles with turn based city and economic management.

Like a boss

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Hello. This is a good example of how a superior force doesn't automatically equal an automatic loss in Shogun 2 unlike 90% of strategy games.

For some background this is a team game of 2V2. The opposing team is using "Fall Of The Samurai" units with high tier firefarm units and artillery. I am using two layers of "Yari Samurai" as a meat shield and sticking cloth units (monks) at the back. My team mates army is basically fully comprised of "Naginata Samurai". I have one set of cheap bow and one unit of "Fire Rockets". The bar in the top right indicated we are drastically outclassed in unit power.

While in single player alot of the time this is due to simply exploiting AI, in multiplayer it's a whole different story. If we had simply charged in at (02:35) we would have been obliterated. This is a mistake people make, they rush in head on or became scared to attack superior forces and just camp. Taking the time to whittle down forces with bow and fire-rockets then spending the time to move around, using forest as cover (walking keeping units "hidden" most of the time) renders most of his missile unit useless unless they break up and chase after them. His "Gatling Guns" are too slow to keep up and his "Parrot artillery" guns are too slow to get away from the hill at (10:40). Using the hill as cover, sitting slightly at the back as protection against fire-arm units, allows you to close in better. Thankfully, these players think they will win because of the bar and actually come towards our units. While my team mate engages him on the hill, I move around the side and deal with his missile units at the back. Like a ripple effect all his units begin to route.

Click 480 for slightly better quility. Over-all the video quility is fairly poor but I couldn't be bothered waiting an hour for 720p.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Hello. This is a good example of how a superior force doesn't automatically equal an automatic loss in Shogun 2 unlike 90% of strategy games.

For some background this is a team game of 2V2. The opposing team is using "Fall Of The Samurai" units with high tier firefarm units and artillery. I am using two layers of "Yari Samurai" as a meat shield and sticking cloth units (monks) at the back. My team mates army is basically fully comprised of "Naginata Samurai". I have one set of cheap bow and one unit of "Fire Rockets". The bar in the top right indicated we are drastically outclassed in unit power.

While in single player alot of the time this is due to simply exploiting AI, in multiplayer it's a whole different story. If we had simply charged in at (02:35) we would have been obliterated. This is a mistake people make, they rush in head on or became scared to attack superior forces and just camp. Taking the time to whittle down forces with bow and fire-rockets then spending the time to move around, using forest as cover (walking keeping units "hidden" most of the time) renders most of his missile unit useless unless they break up and chase after them. His "Gatling Guns" are too slow to keep up and his "Parrot artillery" guns are too slow to get away from the hill at (10:40). Using the hill as cover, sitting slightly at the back as protection against fire-arm units, allows you to close in better. Thankfully, these players think they will win because of the bar and actually come towards our units. While my team mate engages him on the hill, I move around the side and deal with his missile units at the back. Like a ripple effect all his units begin to route.

Click 480 for slightly better quility. Over-all the video quility is fairly poor but I couldn't be bothered waiting an hour for 720p.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.