Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Shogun 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 26, 2011

Total War: Shogun 2 is the sequel to Shogun: Total War, the first game in the Total War series. Shogun 2 is an epic strategy game, combining real-time 3D battles with turn based city and economic management.

Team Fortress 2 Is the Best Thing to Ever Happen to Me

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Edited By thatfrood

And I don't even play TF2.

So for those of you who don't know (I don't know how you wouldn't but regardless), within the game Team Fortress 2 there is an intricate hat and item trading system. It was deployed several updates ago, it was called the "Mann-conomy" update.
    What this allowed players to do was trade items that they had gained while playing TF2, or items they had crafted, or items that they had gained via special means. I'm told that hats are a big deal in TF2, and I believe it. Rarely, it seems, these days that a major game is released on Steam without some sort of TF2 items tied into its preorder. Homefront, Rift, Poker Night...

and Shogun 2.

With a preorder of Shogun 2 came 4 hats and 4 items. And some sort of noise maker thing. The game itself cost 50 dollars.

No Caption Provided

However, in reality, it only cost 30 dollars.

Yes, you are reading that correctly, 30 dollars. For a game that released yesterday.
    How is this possible?
    Team Fortress 2, my friends. The Team Fortress 2 community pretty much actively subsidizes pc gamers and their developers.
    Yes, if you've done the math already, I sold those hats. I sold them for 20 dollars.

It wasn't hard either! It wasn't sleazy. I literally just launched tf2 and put my items up for sale. I don't play TF2, so what the fuck do I care? I sold all of it. I sold it for 20 dollars.
    The developer gets 50 dollars, the consumer pays 30, and the TF2 community foots the rest of the bill. Supply Demand. TF2 hats are some of the most mystical, incomprehensible objects known to man.

In fairness, the game was bought as a gift, and if you're reading this brevman, thank you again! I was sure to send that 20 bucks to him, so really he's the one that benefited from this. But still, this revelation is pretty shocking to me. I play a lot of games that others don't. Games like Shogun 2. And now, as long as the fish are biting, I have a pretty fair chance of paying a lot less for them. Thank you, Team Fortress 2, truly, you are the greatest hat trading simulator known to man.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By thatfrood

And I don't even play TF2.

So for those of you who don't know (I don't know how you wouldn't but regardless), within the game Team Fortress 2 there is an intricate hat and item trading system. It was deployed several updates ago, it was called the "Mann-conomy" update.
    What this allowed players to do was trade items that they had gained while playing TF2, or items they had crafted, or items that they had gained via special means. I'm told that hats are a big deal in TF2, and I believe it. Rarely, it seems, these days that a major game is released on Steam without some sort of TF2 items tied into its preorder. Homefront, Rift, Poker Night...

and Shogun 2.

With a preorder of Shogun 2 came 4 hats and 4 items. And some sort of noise maker thing. The game itself cost 50 dollars.

No Caption Provided

However, in reality, it only cost 30 dollars.

Yes, you are reading that correctly, 30 dollars. For a game that released yesterday.
    How is this possible?
    Team Fortress 2, my friends. The Team Fortress 2 community pretty much actively subsidizes pc gamers and their developers.
    Yes, if you've done the math already, I sold those hats. I sold them for 20 dollars.

It wasn't hard either! It wasn't sleazy. I literally just launched tf2 and put my items up for sale. I don't play TF2, so what the fuck do I care? I sold all of it. I sold it for 20 dollars.
    The developer gets 50 dollars, the consumer pays 30, and the TF2 community foots the rest of the bill. Supply Demand. TF2 hats are some of the most mystical, incomprehensible objects known to man.

In fairness, the game was bought as a gift, and if you're reading this brevman, thank you again! I was sure to send that 20 bucks to him, so really he's the one that benefited from this. But still, this revelation is pretty shocking to me. I play a lot of games that others don't. Games like Shogun 2. And now, as long as the fish are biting, I have a pretty fair chance of paying a lot less for them. Thank you, Team Fortress 2, truly, you are the greatest hat trading simulator known to man.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zithe

Wow, really? I haven't played TF2 in a long while and I had no idea you could sell items to other players for real cash. Is that built in to the game UI or did you have to exchange information yourselves?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thatfrood
    @Zithe said:

" Wow, really? I haven't played TF2 in a long while and I had no idea you could sell items to other players for real cash. Is that built in to the game UI or did you have to exchange information yourselves? "

Bang!
    The actual trading is in game.
    that's just one of the many sites, it's the one whose user interface I liked most.
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By AURON570

the prices for hats are ridiculous, i don't understand it. 1 piece of in-game equipment which does nothing other than change the appearance slightly for ~$10? ugh...

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

You swindler you.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jack268

This game costs $25 over here. It was sold out when I was gonna pick it up though :< 

You paid $25 for virtual cosmetic items that you sold for 20. How does this make you feel?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

WHAT?! THATS INSANE!  

I should try this... I kinda want to keep the samurai sword though. 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thatfrood
    @Jack268 said:

" This game costs $25 over here. It was sold out when I was gonna pick it up though :<  You paid $25 for virtual cosmetic items that you sold for 20. How does this make you feel? "

Really? Daaaamn, where do you live?
    It stills makes me feel pretty good, all said though.

And I don't mean to suggest that you'll get something as ridiculous as 40% off every pc game that comes with tf2 items every time, I get the feeling that the sheer quantity and uniqueness of the Shogun items played a part in their pricing, and I got a bit lucky in finding a buyer, but still, if 20 dollars didn't work I have no doubt I could have sold them for 10. 

So basically, don't care a wink about tf2 items? Think of them as a... rebate for your purchase. Courtesy of the TF2 community.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jack268
    @ThatFrood said:
    " @Jack268 said:

" This game costs $25 over here. It was sold out when I was gonna pick it up though :<  You paid $25 for virtual cosmetic items that you sold for 20. How does this make you feel? "

Really? Daaaamn, where do you live? It stills makes me feel pretty good, all said though.  And I don't mean to suggest that you'll get something as ridiculous as 40% off every pc game that comes with tf2 items every time, I get the feeling that the sheer quantity and uniqueness of the Shogun items played a part in their pricing, and I got a bit lucky in finding a buyer, but still, if 20 dollars didn't work I have no doubt I could have sold them for 10.   So basically, don't care a wink about tf2 items? Think of them as a... rebate for your purchase. Courtesy of the TF2 community. "
    I'm in Sweden, and I was pretty surprised by the price too. And yeah, TF2 items are serious shit. I've seen unusuals sold for over $500. It's crazy.
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By audiosnag

You so crafty

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.