Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War

Franchise »

The long-running Total War series combines grand turn-based strategy on the world map with tactical real-time strategy on the battlefield. Players rule nations and command armies in campaigns around the world and through centuries of history.

What's the best game in the series?

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I'm thinking about picking up one of these games since they seem pretty fun. I'm playing the Empire demo and the load times are killer, is this problem fixed now? Also is Empire worth the $30 if I can get Medieval 2 Gold for the same price, or Rome Gold for $10. So I am just wondering what you guys think is the best bang for your buck. Thx in advance

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Rome, no question. Get Europa Barbarorum for it and it's even better.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By jkz

Rome by far.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Turambar

Ultimately, Rome is the best in terms of the combat mechanics.  That said, the later games, Medieval 2 and Empires offer a far greater variety in both combat units, city building, and factions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard rome has a broken multiplayer. Is it still the best game if just for SP?

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Empire is definatly the best one to jump into. With DarthMod Empire, this game becomes- BEST.

TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    @Turambar said:
    " Ultimately, Rome is the best in terms of the combat mechanics.  That said, the later games, Medieval 2 and Empires offer a far greater variety in both combat units, city building, and factions. "
    Get Europa Barbarorum for Rome and it will crush the other games in those aspects.
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    @arab_prince said:

" I heard rome has a broken multiplayer. Is it still the best game if just for SP? "

You'll be spending most of your time with the singleplayer in all of the games in the series anyways (Except for maybe Napoleon).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheSeductiveMoose: Thanks for the replies bud. I researched Europa Barbarorum and it seems like it changes the game a lot. do you suggest I experience the game vanilla first then use the mod? Or should I just use the mod from the get-go?
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arab_prince said:

" @TheSeductiveMoose: Thanks for the replies bud. I researched Europa Barbarorum and it seems like it changes the game a lot. do you suggest I experience the game vanilla first then use the mod? Or should I just use the mod from the get-go? "

I would recommend you start a vanilla campaign first to familiarize yourself with the game mechanics. EB is harder.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.