Does this game require a memory card?

#1 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -

Anyone know if this game requires a memory card? The japanese version is out already but im finding it hard to get this bit of info. Im not settling for a small memory card and Sony has backpedaled on the promise that games will not require a memory card.

#2 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

This is the one issue I'm confused about for the Vita because the North American boxes says requires memory card X amount of MB. I'm playing it safe and getting a memory card at launch, the 8GB which should be good enough for these requirements if there are any and my PSP games. I'll get a 32GB down the road when the prices drop.

#3 Posted by m1k3 (1326 posts) -

From what i understand, the Vita has no internal user accessible memory (it does have memory for firmware and stuff like that). Buying a game off PSN WILL require an external memory card. And they said that retail games are supposed to have onboard memory for saved games and DLC (im guessing developers choice).

#4 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -
@msavo I was planning on getting a 16 gig card (the same size I had on PSP) but that's one of those hard to find sizes. I even spoke to the manager at my local GameStop and he said they will be getting one and I can't afford to get it now.

@m1k3 When Sony announced details they said they were requiring games to set aside space for game saves and planned DLC. But that doesn't appear to be true since games in Japan are requiring cards.

Katamari is my day one purchase and I was hoping it would work if I can't get the memory.
#5 Posted by Jeff (3479 posts) -

"Memory Required: 3072KB."

Every Vita box I've seen so far requires some amount of space for storage. That's space on a separate memory card, not some sort of magical on-cart space.

Staff
#6 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I think they say this information on the box, don't they?

#7 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -

@Jeff: The two exceptions I've seen to this so far have been Dungeon Hunter Alliance and Asphalt Injection, which don't have any memory card requirements on the box. But I don't have a Vita unit on-hand to test if the games actually work without a memory card inserted or not.

#8 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -
@Jeff said:

Every Vita box I've seen so far requires some amount of space for storage. That's space on a separate memory card, not some sort of magical on-cart space.

That is strange because the japanese version of the game don't need the memory card. I tought that it would be simular in the west.
#9 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -
@Jeff

That "magical on cart space" comment was uncalled for. Sony said they were gonna require space be set aside on the game cart (you know, like most cartridge based games) for saves and DLC. They've quietly forgotten about that.
#10 Posted by Hailinel (24295 posts) -

@Shakezula84 said:

@Jeff

That "magical on cart space" comment was uncalled for. Sony said they were gonna require space be set aside on the game cart (you know, like most cartridge based games) for saves and DLC. They've quietly forgotten about that.

Policies are subject to change, particularly when they haven't been finalized. What is true is that the vast majority of Vita titles to date require some space on a separate memory card.

By contrast, 3DS games save games directly to the game cards. Any DLC, SpotPass or StreetPass content acquired is stored on an SD card. Not some fancy memory card of Nintendo's own design; just an SD Card. Hell, they even give you one with the 3DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.