Anyone else think $40 is too much for this?

#1 Posted by President_Barackbar (3472 posts) -

After I saw the Quick Look the other day, I went and tried out TrackMania Nations Forever and found myself having a lot of fun with it, but some of the F2P limitations are rather annoying. Now, you can tell just by looking at the game that it doesn't really have a ton of production value put into it, and it is rather old. You can imagine my surprise when I went into the Steam store and saw the price listed at $39.99. Apparently during Ubi week last week it was down to $10, which seems like the right price. Am I wrong for thinking that $40 is way too much?

#2 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

That 40 bucks is way too much.

#3 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

I bought it in the sale. Would never have paid full price for it. I enjoyed the free version for quite some time, but that was well before they put in the current limitations in the free version.

At the time the price was tempting, but now it's a joke.

#4 Posted by PatVB (332 posts) -

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. This game is MAYBE worth $10. Probably $5.

#5 Posted by KarlPilkington (2769 posts) -

The free version is completely fine. Multiplayer is normal except you have to spectate 1 race out of 5.

#6 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

You are paying for a framework for custom content, like LittleBigPlanet.

#7 Posted by President_Barackbar (3472 posts) -

@Gizmo said:

But unlike LBP, this game has little production value behind it.

#8 Posted by thelsdj (44 posts) -

I've literally gotten 200+ hours out of the $40 I paid for it when it came out. And I'd be more than happy to pay $40 or more for the new version this fall because I know I will get my money's worth.

#9 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

Depends what you get out of it for the money really.

#10 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

@Gizmo said:

But unlike LBP, this game has little production value behind it.

And LBP is a lot more expensive percentage wise.

#11 Posted by JP_Russell (1173 posts) -

Considering how long it's been out, $40 is definitely excessive.

#12 Posted by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

Right now Amazon has it for $50+ so I'd say it's a good deal to grab it on steam unless finding elsewhere cheaper. FYI if you go from free account to the full $40 version through steam, might want to go into the properties of the game after it downloads & in the local files, verify the integrity of the files. One file for me was broken & wasn't getting the game to launch through steam until I did the verification process & benched at the current settings, took a little while to get it started after that but works fine.

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.